Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
ryanheacox

Default Using Parking Lights For Signal Lights

Curious to hear peoples opinions on using the parking light socket for a turn signal. I don't have any turn signals currently and with the amount I want to drive this car I think I'll be inviting an accident if I don't add them.

I really don't like the look of add-on turn signals so I was thinking of taking the 21cp stop light bulbs and dipping them in amber light bulb paint and using them in the parking light sockets. I think 21cp should be bright enough but if not I can always go to the 32cp bulb the vendors sell. What does everyone else think?
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #2
fuzes45

Default Re: Using Parking Lights For Signal Lights

Have Parking lights that were added by previous owner, Replaced all bulbs with LED,

A lot brighter, some LED ones have optional colors. Stop and running lights brighter.

No mods to sockets. Bob
fuzes45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #3
DBrer

I use the cowl lights for turn signal lights. I agree that turn signals might save you from an accident, but also being courteous to other drivers so they are aware of your intensions. I also have two tail lights.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
saxman657

Mine was rigged with parking lights external from the headlight (headlights are sealed beam) and these parking lights also serve as turn signals and emergency blinkers. Appears to be wired into the brake light wire before hitting the brake light switch.
saxman657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
wmws
BANNED

I had turn signals wired into the parking light bulb in the head lite. That worked fine until I went to LED bulbs so I can run with my head lites on in the daytime. Now you can't see them with the bright LEDs on. So I am going to go for the small turn signals in the bumper. I don't much like the looks either but better safe etc.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #6
marrowe

I use LEDs in the cowl lights that function as a normal white sidelight and change to amber for indicators. They're the perfect combination of safety/functionality while not requiring any unsightly extra lights. I assume there is a supplier of these in the US

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...r-combined-led
marrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
Tom Endy

See attached article.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Turn Signals.pdf (69.1 KB, 114 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:15 PM   #8
Patrick L.

I like the park lites as turns. I'm not sure what CP they are, its been too long.
I also use the cowl too.
They are both incandescent.

The rears are LED and once installed couldn't find any flasher that worked. Increased the CP of the park and cowl lites and now a 535 thermal flasher has worked just fine for about the past 10 years. A few yeas ago I belted/strapped a a third lite to the spare tire.

The rears are BRIGHT, the fronts are good enough.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:30 PM   #9
eagle

One thing is for sure. Using the hand/arm signal method does not work in this day and age! No one recognizes them anymore. I used license plate brackets and mounted amber beehive lights to the fender/headlight bar. Has a retro look and they are plenty bright. I added the turn function to the tail lights as well. I thought about the parking lights but I'd be surprised if they would be very visible, especially at night with the headlights on. However, I did not try them.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #10
Synchro909

FWIW, flashing stop lights are illegal here and turn signals are amber, front and back.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #11
David R.

I had thought about the parking light for signals too but figured it would not be visible with headlights on. I don’t really like the little rectangle ones in the bumper either, looks too modern I think. Mine is a AA so wouldn’t be right with cowl lights. I remember having to roll windows up and down in winter to give hand signals with my first truck, (‘52 Ford).
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #12
Big hammer

Turn signals in the headlights, sounds like some new cars today that the headlight turns off when the turn signals come on ! Surly don't know how that works but someone here could tell us how to do it !
Old 03-10-2020, 06:24 PM   #13
nick c

I too don't like the add on front blinkers so I used the parking lites and bought amber bulbs, there work for me, 12v alternator on 29 AA.
carry on
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
Herb Concord Ca

I have turn signals on both my Slant T/S and 31 roadster P/U. Both use cowl lights for turn signal in the front. When do we use parking lights these days? Both use LED lights in the rear. 3 years ago I won one of the third brake light bars that mount in the back window that sure does work great, would highly recommend adding one of those as well.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:28 PM   #15
Y-Blockhead

Anyone remember '60s VW and Porsche with turn signals in the headlight bucket? Seemed to work OK back then.

I use amber LEDs in my parking lights. very bright!

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 03-10-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #16
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrowe View Post
I use LEDs in the cowl lights that function as a normal white sidelight and change to amber for indicators. They're the perfect combination of safety/functionality while not requiring any unsightly extra lights. I assume there is a supplier of these in the US

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...r-combined-led
I use my cowl lights as running lights and turn signals using the same dual color bulbs as shown above. I couldn’t find the bulbs in the US, so I bought them from the UK. I also have LED tail / signal lights from United Pacific and a 3rd brake light which is LED also.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:42 PM   #17
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Anyone remember '60s VW and Porsche with turn signals in the headlight bucket? Seemed to work OK back then.
Old VW's and Porsches never had turn signals in the headlight assembly. Those are the parking lights. They turn off when the headlight is on.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:27 PM   #18
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Old VW's and Porsches never had turn signals in the headlight assembly. Those are the parking lights. They turn off when the headlight is on.
You know what? You're right! Brain Phart on my part. The turn signal was on TOP of the front fender. I just remembered seeing a bulb in there!
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #19
ryanheacox

After reading through the responses I feel pretty confident that amber bulbs in the parking light socket will work well. I have a standard Fordor so I don't have cowl lights as an option.

I also only have a single tail light so I wouldn't be able to use that for signals and I'm not adding a second one. If I can find a set for a good price I'm planning to use an old set of Arrow signal lights on the rear, I like the period correct look.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:42 PM   #20
redmodelt

As you asked; I am firm in my OP that parking lights are not where people look to see turn signals. Add into that, there is a lot of car between the parking lights and front of Model A and may not even be visible over the hood from the side. They should be at the front of the car at a height where people expect to see them and should be stand alone not in headlights. It is bad enough on modern cars that have an amber lens right next to headlight which when are on, over power the turn signals same with having them in the headlights.

I was behind a UPS truck that had turn signals/brake lights way up in back, I almost did not see them till last minute. They were in the site line for a truck driving behind but not standard passenger car. That brought it home to me in forming my OP.

Other thing, has anyone looked into them being even being legal in the parking lights?