Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #21
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: A question for old guys

As a friend said: it’s getting harder to regain the posture of standing.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #22
Chris in WNC

If you have the space and the budget, get a Backyard Buddy lift.
You will love it.
Had one for 5 years and had to let it go when we moved.
Really miss it.
Pleased our Town Sedan needs no heavy repairs, hope that continues for a while.
Just turned 72 here, was 38 when I got my first Model A.
Moving a little slower and lifting a little less but life is still good......
Old 02-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #23
kenparker0703

Who you calling "old"? I am 78 and still do all my own work and even do a lot of maintenance for other Model A'ers who cant. Just do it a a slower pace.
Rember two things. U dont git old 'til you quit and life is still good. Working on the A and in the shop gives me a reason to get up in the morning.
kenparker0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #24
Ray64

Im with WICK at 75. Lots of goodies to work with. Especially the 2 post lift RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #25
McMimmcs

A great question because sooner or later we will all be dealing with this situation !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #26
ronn

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
agreed. super topic that Im surprised hasnt come up before.......

Wick you sound like you have it all handled. A few months back I said to my brother, I really need a lift, but will I still be able to work on my cars past 70? I am Wicks age.

youre attitudes are better then mine, because I thought the answer was to just start selling everything off......... maybe I should look into that lift and some heat and better tools.......?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #27
Merc Cruzer

When you were younger, you did everything faster because you didn't have the time, and quite often you had to do it over. Now you are older and do everything slower, because you now have the time, to do it right the first time. I am 74 and still learning every day. It doesn't get any better than that.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #28
Jack Shaft
BANNED

62,40+ year mechanic, I'm a virgo, I like cold beer, camping and steak.. wait, this isn't a dating site is it?

Inflammation is what keeps you from the shop in the beginning, followed by muscle loss and lack of flexibility from sitting caused by inflammation. Its a cycle that has to be broken to stay in the shop.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #29
1928Mik

I'm 68 and still running my own business. I keep in shape by going to the gym and hitting the weights and the treadmill. I could retire whenever I want but I do like to keep busy, even in the garage. The A is restored but I doubt if I would tackle another one now. But the way I figure it, just staying busy is a big part of it. John Glenn was able to go back into space at age 78 so I always keep that in mind...

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #30
BillCook

Send a message via Yahoo to BillCook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
For my friends also in their "golden years:” How are you coping with the aging process vis-a-vis working on your A? Personally, with arthritis and a sensitive back, I am increasingly reluctant to get under the cars for even something as elemental as checking the fluid level in the trans or doing a full chassis lube job. Major mechanics I would have tackled even just ten years ago, at the tender age of 65, now seem beyond my realistic capabilites. Pull an engine? A tranny? Nope. A rear end? Yikes!

I don’t have any grandchildren, inlaws, or step children who can help. My long-time go-to shop has essentially closed down for Covid, but at his age, maybe forever. My former club is populated by a similar aged group, and is not an option.

I wouldn’t trust any local auto repair shops (they all think my ‘91 VW is an antique auto and refuse to work on it. I sure wouldn’t trust my A to any of them!)
IÂ’ll be 76 in 3 months, and I honestly donÂ’t know how IÂ’m going to accomplish the basic maintenance on my AÂ’s that IÂ’ve been doing for the last 50 years.

How about you? If your age is presenting similar problems, what are you doing, or what is your plan?
I’m goin through the same thing ,I’m building a 30 p/u ,I’m 72 no kids around so yes it’s tough,I had a carport to work under but my lousy neighbor complained to the town because it was 4” under regs too close to the fence ( my fence) had to remove so I’ll have to wait till spring to finish ,but I’m still lookin for body parts to finish ,stay well gents !
BillCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #31
nkaminar

Everyone ages differently. My friend, at 68, found that he could no longer work on any of his antique cars or even drive them. He sold the lot and the house and moved into an extended care facility and bought a Tesla, which he loves. At some point we all will face the music and will have to sell out or leave the cars to our grand kids. I am 76 and sill can work on my car, fortunately. I think a 4-point lift is next, however.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #32
Dennisfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Mik View Post
I'm 68 and still running my own business. I keep in shape by going to the gym and hitting the weights and the treadmill. I could retire whenever I want but I do like to keep busy, even in the garage. The A is restored but I doubt if I would tackle another one now. But the way I figure it, just staying busy is a big part of it. John Glenn was able to go back into space at age 78 so I always keep that in mind...

At the time, there was a hamburger joint in Florida that had big sign saying, "Free Hamburgers for all Astronauts 78 or older."
Old 02-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #33
LeonardS

I believe the 4 post lifts are a good solution for repair work and additional storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1FE5CBEF-7A99-4FC3-92F7-2FA50A5E61B1.jpg (59.3 KB, 72 views)
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #34
Jim Huseby

I have a similar problem that I am asking anyone to give an answer to. In Septemeber at a healthy 71, 'lost my right leg near the hip. I can still drive my CCPU without the prosthetic leg (no way to get in & out of the cab with it on & no place to set it if I could wear it) by dancing from clutch to brake with my left foot and using the hand throttle and using an electric starter button. I can double clutch this way, but the whole driving experience is just not the same, in fact it is SCARY trying to get get the technique perfected and there is no way to clutch and brake at the same time. Unless the road surface is perfectly level at stop lights, I hold with the hand brake, advance the throttle slightly when I estimate the light is about to turn green, then release the hand brake while easing the clutch out enough to keep from rolling backwards, then adding throttle and engagement when the light turns green. Model As are no longer my daily drivers and I really feel the loss of that gentle pleasure, however I still have a shop full of them and work on them most days. Please contact me to discuss various hand control systems.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #35
Y-Blockhead

I installed a Mitchell O/D in my Town Sedan this past July... by myself. Social distancing and all that.

The videos and instructions said it should take an afternoon to install. It took me three afternoons (+four mornings ).

My cardiologist strongly suggested I don't do that anymore. At least I didn't set off my Defibrillator.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-03-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #36
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Huseby View Post
Please contact me to discuss various hand control systems.
Jim, Did you see the article on "Hand Operated Clutch for Model A Fords" in the May/June 2020 Restorer by Jerry Kelly?
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #37
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Huseby View Post
I have a similar problem that I am asking anyone to give an answer to. In Septemeber at a healthy 71, 'lost my right leg near the hip. I can still drive my CCPU without the prosthetic leg (no way to get in & out of the cab with it on & no place to set it if I could wear it) by dancing from clutch to brake with my left foot and using the hand throttle and using an electric starter button. I can double clutch this way, but the whole driving experience is just not the same, in fact it is SCARY trying to get get the technique perfected and there is no way to clutch and brake at the same time. Unless the road surface is perfectly level at stop lights, I hold with the hand brake, advance the throttle slightly when I estimate the light is about to turn green, then release the hand brake while easing the clutch out enough to keep from rolling backwards, then adding throttle and engagement when the light turns green. Model As are no longer my daily drivers and I really feel the loss of that gentle pleasure, however I still have a shop full of them and work on them most days. Please contact me to discuss various hand control systems.
Here's a thread on the HAMB about that topic, might give you some ideas.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-coupe.463540/
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:29 PM   #38
Ted Duke

I just had my 84th and am blessed with good health. I take a very small amount of blood pressure medicine. I have been diagnosed with rotator cuff damage right arm (I refused scans, because I would refuse surgery at my age.) I do everything I always did SLOWER and much more carefully, drive, farm, work on cars. I have a four post lift (which is fantastic), but right now I do have to crawl under my A in resurrection because it is not convenient to put on the lift YET. (I still need the lift for other jobs.

I have been told, "Don't give up any activity you can still manage," by two medics. I try to follow that, but I am sure you would all get a laugh watching me get under the A or getting out.

I am blessed with a son who did major bodywork and the painting and another who has rebuilt the engine with me and will be helping more as soon as I get my second COVID serum.

Keep moving. It's good for body and mind.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #39
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

I use a getter-upper and it really helps. Here is a video of it. Easy to make.
https://youtu.be/uqgT5va5ssw
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #40
charlesea

I am 84 and able to get down under the A but the problem is getting up.
However I am thankful I still drive the 91 year old A & it does great.
Best wishes to all you youngsters.
charlesea is offline   Reply With Quote