Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #21
shoe box Jack

Default Re: using the stock mechanical fuel pump with electric

Not a good idea to use both. If the stock one quits the full pump could have a split diaphragm and the elec. could fill the oil pan. Jack
shoe box Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #22
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Aaron: Could you post a picture of your extra coil mounted next to the original? Extra points and condenser not functional are they? Just attached "in case". Thanks

Lawson, lots of guys carry spares. When the Covid 19 hit, I started a larder in the garage for spare canned goods, and as I understand, there is even a large group of guys that keep spare wives also.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #23
deuce_roadster

I second what shoe box jack said. If you are aware of this possibility it can help but the only electric pump I have is on my avatar roadster and it has been pushing fuel just fine for 21 years now. No stock pump in the equation. All my other 4 flathead only use the stock pump.
Back when I was a teen, I put a flathead in my first car, a model A. I figured who needs a fuel pump, when gravity will do the job. Well, after not shutting off the fuel valve the night before, it wouldn't turn over to start. When I looked at different parts of the engine I noticed gas coming out of the dipstick tube. Hmmmm. Shut the valve off, drained the pan, got the crap out of the needle valves of the 2 97s and all was good.
A ruptured diaphragm (while rare) could give you the same problem but while the engine is running and the result could be catastrophic. My MISC album has pictures of a friend's car that the gas tank filler neck was torn off by a chunk of an old tire that blew. Rare event but catastrophic result.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote