Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
JohnB15632

Default In lline fuse installation

I have been told by many on this forum to remove the fuse holder attached to the starter switch. I have been told to use an in line fuse instead.
So, where is the best place to install the in line fuse. In the power wire just off the starter, or in the power line before the junction box?

thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0362.jpg (26.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0361.jpg (25.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0363.jpg (59.4 KB, 111 views)
JohnB15632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Bruce Adams

Default Re: In lline fuse installation

What is the logic in not having the one almost every Model A enthusiast uses?
I have heard about broken bottom plates, but I have also heard about running out of gas and flat tires yet I still fill up and I still roll.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
2manycars

The old fuse holder you show uses glass fuses, and is exposed to the elements, so eventually the contacts corrode and trouble starts. The modern in line fuse holder uses modern blade fuses, which are more easily obtained, and you can mount that holder on the inside of the firewall, by taking the wire from the starter that goes to the terminal box, and instead of attaching to the terminal box, push it through the firewall and attach it to one of the fuse holder wires. The other fuse holder wire gets an eye terminal soldered on and is passed through the firewall and attaches where you took off the wire from the starter. Now you have an in line fuse in the same circuit as the old glass fuse setup, but out of sight, and out of the rain and you have a modern fuse.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:56 PM   #4
lindy williams

The reason that the popular fuse location along side the starter is not the best location is that if the fuse blows when the engine is running and the generator is charging, the generator output is disconnected from the battery and since the battery acts a a regulator in the stock Model A electrical system, the voltage can go very high and burn out the lights immediately and burn up the coil. the driver won't know this is happening unless he notices his ammeter go to zero. Install a 20A fuse at the cutout in the feed to the lights and horn and a 5A fuse in the black wire from the terminal box to the coil. This will fuse the lights, horn and ignition system and never disconnect the generator from the battery
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Custom Made Harness by Tyree Harris with 4 Mini fuses attached to a water proof case attached to the cooling side of the alternator, 30amp, Headlights, 10amp Horn, 2-5amp for custom headight dual filament setup on 14gauge wires fed into the cowl on a foot dimmer switch giving me 1215 lumens on a standard 32/50 Model A bulb, and 12 gauge wire to the alt. ALL on a 6v system....with a 40Amp main fuse. Safety first!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9330.jpg (37.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9331.jpg (39.3 KB, 99 views)
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
captndan

Nothing wrong with that fuse location. Carry a spare and a jumper wire. Standard Model A fair.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
31a

I agree with Bill, it takes about 15 minutes to put the modern fuse on, If you drive your A quite a bit my experience is you will eventually have a failure with the old style fuse. My two cents worth.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:50 PM   #8
Tom Endy

The fuse mounted on top of the starter is not likely going to blow when the car is rolling down the road. There is no load current passing through it then. Current to the loads is going direct from the generator of alternator to the load. The fuse on the starter will only blow when load current from the battery is passing through it and that only happeneds when the car is sitting static.

On a modern car each load is protected by a fuse so if there is a short in the load it takes that particular fuse out.

The necessity of the fuse on the starter is to protect against a fire when the car is parked. If a short were develop without the fuse the battery would continue to supply current until something got hot and it started a fire.

Whenever I park my car for the night I pull the fuse and stand it on its head at one end of the clip. This shuts off all electrical circuits except the connection to the starter motor switch, and it not likely to close on its own.

It is prudent to periodically check the electrical connections to make sure they are all properly tight. The fuse mount on my starter has been there for 25 years and there have been no problems with it.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
captndan

Put a wire tie around the fuse. Makes a nice handle to take it out. Tom is correct.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #10
1930artdeco

I am no electrical wiz by any stretch of the imagination but I just disconnect the battery at the end of the trip. So does that take out the 'sitting static' fire hazard?

Mike