Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Model-T

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default Clearance between piston and head to close?

My pistons come up 328 above block and the depth of Z head is 325.So without a head gasket the piston hits the head.Now you put a head gasket on and I only have 15000 clearance.Now is that to close,to dangerous to run? What is the minimum between to be safe to run.I don't think two head gasket is the answer?Sure need help on this, I'm no pro just a dumb redneck that got his thumb stuck in his butt.I want to run the Z head if I can.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Clearance between piston and head to close?

.015 is too close don't try to run it or you will break something. When the is started and warmed up the pistons will grow more than .015

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Ken why have you quite posting on the MTFCI site?

Joe

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Been busy working on my T.I Installed a new 280 cam and I got a cam knock?So I tore it back down again and put in new cam bearnings,Timming gear,new valve springs and still got the noise. Set valves 10,000 as I was told.I had to take 90,000 off the stem so the vales would close.The T runs nice but the noise I can't stand that.Don't know what to do half to be in the valve train. Got double nut lifters. Looks like I will half to put the old cam back in to see if the noise goes away? This will be the third time to tear down. Got to find the trouble.