Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2021, 11:10 PM   #1
Model A Ron

Default Longest trip you took in a Model A

I am thinking about taking a 250 mile trip from Troutman NC to Patriots Point naval park in Charleston SC. This is the home of the USS York Town.

The trip may not be very far but it would be a good test drive for my new to me 29 Phaeton. So that said how far have you driven your Model A. Tell us about your trip and be sure to give pointers on what to expect.

Thanks
Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-13-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:32 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Longest trip you took in a Model A

My first long one was a 1200 mile RT from Portland, OR to Eureke, CA, in 1965 when I was 18 with my cousin in an unrestored 1929 pickup.
Next was a 1400 mile RT from Portland, OR to San Luis Obispo in an unrestored ‘28 RPU in 1972. I wouldn’t do that trip today. Too much traffic!
My third longest was 1000 miles right after I restored my ‘29 Tudor in 1980. Went from Portlland, OR to Victoria BC. Broke in the the new engine; it took us two weeks. A life changing trip in many ways.
Alas, for me, the days of long trips are over. I’m too old and creaky and the traffic is too intense, fast, and dangerous. I always thought I’d do a four corners tour of the US in my A, but it just ain’t gonna happen.

TIPS: Ron, do it. You will gain a lot of experience and have a great time. Take back roads whenever you can. You have some beautiful country to travel through. Take your time. Stop to see stuff. Avoid large cities. Whatever Google says for travel time, double that, at least.
Take an extra condensor, a gallon of water, a tow rope, some 16 ga wire, a fire extinguisher, a cell phone, a MAFCA or MARC directory, and a small tool kit.
Others will make suggestions, but those are the essentials I take on any long and lonesome tour. Yours will be relatively short and your car is restored; you will likely have no troubles.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 04-13-2021 at 11:59 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:36 PM   #3
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
1000 miles right after I restored my 29 ‘Tudor in 1980. Went from Portlland, OR to Victoria BC. Broke in the the new engine; it took us two weeks. A life changing trip in many ways.
Now that a good way to test out a new engine. Do you still have the same car today and if so how many miles do you have on that engine?
Old 04-13-2021, 11:51 PM   #4
Synchro909

Coincidently, my longest single trip was also in a 1929 Phaeton when we did a lap of most of the continent. 12,000 miles with a camper trailer behind. That was 2014.
In a few weeks we set off on yet another trip, this time only about 8 or 9 thousand miles in the same car, again with camper in tow. All up, we have done about 40,000 miles like that now.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:02 AM   #5
jw hash

four of our club members went to the Reno meet. and from there we took a road trip through 7 states a total of 3800 miles. all in our Model A`s and in one place it was 112 degrees. the air coming through the windows was like a blast furnace. thank god for the hand held conditioner. you know the little bolt of water with a fan.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #6
western77

Two years ago we took a trip to the west coast. By the time we arrived home it was a 8700 mile trip. Tightened a screw on the door handle and changed the oil that was it. Very fun time.
western77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #7
hop up

Amazing to hear such great road trips
Old 04-14-2021, 08:42 AM   #8
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Our club went from Detroit area to Williamsburg, Va for that National meet.
Go ahead and make that trip. That’s nothing to your car, but you will gain a ton of confidence. After that trip, you will take your car anywhere without even thinking about it. Have fun and let us know how you make out.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #9
Bob Bidonde

My longest one day Model A runs were:
Doswell, Virginia to East Northport, NY 365 miles;
Virginia Beach, Virginia to East Northport, NY 417 miles;
Glen Burnie, Maryland to East Northport, NY 247 miles;
Northport, Maine to South Setauket, NY 368;
Hyannis, Cape Cod to South Setauket, NY 206;
Lake George, NY to South Setauket, NY 258 miles;
Lancaster, Pennsylvania to East Northport, NY 205 miles;
Pittsfield, Mass to East Northport, NY 187 miles;
Stow, Mass to South Setauket, NY 238 miles;
Sturbridge, Mass to South Setauket, NY 120 miles;
Alton Lake, New Hampshire to East Northport, NY 336 miles;
Hancock, Mass to South Setauket, NY 195 miles.

This year's (2021) run to the New England Meet in Newry, Maine will be my longest trip this year, about 366 miles each way. Because of my youth (78), the trip to Newry will be done in 2 days each way.

I do not trailer my Model A's. To me, driving a Model A is adventurous, and when with good friends in other Model A's, it's a lot of fun.

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 04-17-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:58 AM   #10
Ray in La Mesa

1973, San Diego to New Hampshire & back via Dearborn A meet, 9027 miles in 7 weeks pulling a trailer. Replaced valves @ Dearborn meet & water pump in N. Dakota.
Ray in La Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

1982....Walla Walla, WA to Bakersfield, CA.

1984....Bakersfield, CA to Portland, Oregon and back.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #12
CarlG

We really don't have that many roads in Alaska. However, we manage to take in about 1,000 miles or more on our longer tours around the state.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:17 PM   #13
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Now that a good way to test out a new engine. Do you still have the same car today and if so how many miles do you have on that engine?
I still have the car. Unfortunately, I didn’t keep mileage records for that first engine rebuild, and I was given incorrect instructions about the spark advance and subsequently prematurely blew out the rear main. After repairing that I have put about 9000 miles on the engine, with new valve grind about 5000 miles ago. I don’t drive it as much as I used to. Current Tudor mileage on the last rebuild is 5543. I expect this last engine rebuild will out last me. In the last four years I have mostly driven my coupe, and only about 1800 miles total.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 01:26 PM   #14
jg61hawk

My Dad was on the Yorktown, the one that is the museum.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NAVYYorktown[1].pdf (241.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: pdf NAVYFlyerClass[1].pdf (167.1 KB, 23 views)
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:37 PM   #15
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
My Dad was on the Yorktown, the one that is the museum.
Have you been yo Patriots Point in Charleston, SC? If not you need to go see your Dad's old ship. I have been on it 4 times and it never gets old to me. Like our Model A's the York Town is a piece of American History.

Ron
Old 04-14-2021, 02:54 PM   #16
Ed in Maine

My longest trip was from Marshalltown, Iowa to Detroit, Michigan for the 1978 National Meet. Like others I also was driving a car with a newly rebuilt engine. I spend a couple of weeks driving around town and had just over 500 miles on the engine. My whole family went, wife and three kids in the back seat. That car ran perfectly. The two things I really remember was arriving into Detroit during the rush hour (it was terrifying) and the tour that went through and under the River Rouge Plant. I figure my car was within hundreds of feet from where it all began. I will never forget all those Ford employees standing on the side lines cheering us on as we drove through the plant. Oh, to be young again and be foolish!! Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #17
Jordan

I took my sedan in 2013 up to the Model A museum grand opening. We left Fort Worth and drove the 1,100 miles in 2 days (750 the first). It was a lot of hard driving but the car performed flawlessly. Went up into Canada for a bit. Came back down to head to Hickery Corners from Detroit. Coming home we also made it in 2 days I believe. The whole trip was about 3,200 miles if I remember correctly. The only issue was the muffler clamp broke on the way up, and the alternator mount broke on the way home. Both had us on our way in less than an hour.

3,200 miles in 8 days. Like others, it was a fresh rebuild. Had about 700 miles on it when I left home. I've driven that engine at least another 20,000 since that time. But that was my longest trip.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #18
160B

Two of our longest trips are below, and the mileage below is just the to and back mileage not including any local driving at the venue or side trips.

Port Orchard WA to Calgary, BC 747 one way, 1494 miles round trip. Three days going and two days return, 506 miles on the last day from Cranbrook BC to Port Orchard.

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=map+from...fcb5be00c10c75

Port Orchard WA to Reno Nevada 828 one way, 1656 miles round trip.

https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=36de2...=2&form=S00027

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 04-14-2021 at 05:03 PM. Reason: problems with the links
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #19
51504bat

About 12 years ago or so ago a guy who worked in our Sacramento Office drive his Model A sedan from Sacramento to the east coast and back. IIRC he had to have the engine rebuilt before he got to the coast and somewhere on the return trip he lost the B/W overdrive that was adapted to the torque tube. I followed his blog about the trip and it sounded like he had a great time in spite of the mechanical issues.
Old 04-15-2021, 05:04 AM   #20
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Coincidently, my longest single trip was also in a 1929 Phaeton when we did a lap of most of the continent. 12,000 miles with a camper trailer behind. That was 2014.
In a few weeks we set off on yet another trip, this time only about 8 or 9 thousand miles in the same car, again with camper in tow. All up, we have done about 40,000 miles like that now.
Syncro, I salute you Sir, that is incredible!
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:42 AM   #21
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Syncro, I salute you Sir, that is incredible!
I was inspired to begin these outback trips by a friend who did his first in 1988. He drives a '28 Chev so we don't count his efforts but I think they are still worth a mention. He has now done in excess of 300,000 miles (several rebuilds in the mean time) and he will be joining us on the trip we are about to do. He has just had a few years stranded at home while he cared for his wife. She has now passed on so he is able to get back to what he loves.
IMO, that puts my 40,000 miles into perspective.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #22
Chris in WNC

Longest trip was Asheville NC to Marquette MI.
2865 miles total.....
Old 04-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #23
McMimmcs

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
Longest trip was Asheville NC to Marquette MI.
2865 miles total.....
A very good trip for sure Chris. How long did it take you ? Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #24
jg61hawk

Ron,
We didn't know it existed until about 3 years ago. My brother went and said he had tears in his eyes walking up the same steps my father walked to get to the flight deck. I have every intention of going as soon as I can.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #25
Model A Ron

I have a high level of respect for the men of WW2 and walking on that ship just gives you chills in a good way. Its amazing to see all the aircraft in the hanger deck. They have newer jet aircraft on the flight deck but in the hanger they have a lot of WW2 restored craft. The way our men lived on that ship was a hardship all to it's self.

They also have a destroyer named the USS Laffey that was hit by multiple Kamikaze attacks. When you sit in the destroyer they play actual and computer generated films of the ship getting attacked in the Pacific and it makes the hairs on your neck stand up. The sounds and vibrations from the audio truly make the attack seem as if it just happened and you were on-board.

I lived in Charleston for a number of years and Both the USS York Town and USS Laffey stand proud in the Charleston Harbor. I get overwhelmed with pride when I see them and feel truly grateful to the people who stood up for God Country and Freedom.

The Men of WW2 were Patriotic Freedom Loving Heroes and I truly appreciate all your father did for this country. It's just so sad to see that half of our country no longer feels that way about America.

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 04-15-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:07 PM   #26
Russ B

As a high school kid in the early sixties I used to drive my cabriolet from Yreka, CA to Medford Oregon over the hill on Hwy. 99 as a regular thing. There was one nice stretch of road near Ashland where I would cruise at 55mph. It was about 100 miles round trip.

Nowadays, with the same car I have taken the drive from Millbrae to Santa Maria, about 250 miles each way. I take my long drives by myself and have always not needed roadside assistance or a tow. Now with overdrive, I can average 55 to 60 on the freeway, U.S. highway 101. I don’t take really long drives but I am comfortable my car won’t have a disastrous breakdown. The bigger worry is the faster, better braking cars that can squeez in front of you and potentially stop too quick for you to avoid a problem.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #27
PalAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
I have a high level of respect for the men of WW2 and walking on that ship just gives you chills in a good way. Its amazing to see all the aircraft in the hanger deck. They have newer jet aircraft on the flight deck but in the hanger they have a lot of WW2 restored craft. The way our men lived on that ship was a hardship all to it's self.

They also have a destroyer named the USS Laffey that was hit by multiple Kamikaze attacks. When you sit in the destroyer they play actual and computer generated films of the ship getting attacked in the Pacific and it makes the hairs on your neck stand up. The sounds and vibrations from the audio truly make the attack seem as if it just happened and you were on-board.

I lived in Charleston for a number of years and Both the USS York Town and USS Laffey stand proud in the Charleston Harbor. I get overwhelmed with pride when I see them and feel truly grateful to the people who stood up for God Country and Freedom.

The Men of WW2 were Patriotic Freedom Loving Heroes and I truly appreciate all your father did for this country. It's just so sad to see that half of our country no longer feels that way about America.

Ron
Well said, my feelings are the same. When you see a WWII hat on someone make sure to thank them and perhaps pickup their bill if possible.
PalAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:00 PM   #28
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalAl View Post
Well said, my feelings are the same. When you see a WWII hat on someone make sure to thank them and perhaps pickup their bill if possible.
I do that every chance I get for all military people. I feel todays youth have lost their way however young men and women in the service are a different breed. Always thank anyone in uniform for their service and most if not all appreciate hearing it.
Old 04-16-2021, 06:09 AM   #29
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
[/B]

A very good trip for sure Chris. How long did it take you ? Wayne
We went to the MARC meet in Oshkosh WI for a week first then up to Marquette for the MAFCA meet.

While in Marquette we had to pull the engine at the meet's repair tent and replace a broken clutch disk.

On the way home a crack in the block started leaking water into the oil, so in addition to frequent water stops I changed oil every morning on the trip home.

Direct route home from Marquette to Asheville took three days.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:58 AM   #30
Peyton

1200 miles r/t Jacksonville, Fl to Abingdon, Va in 1995. My wife and I were new to the Model A and knew little of its capabilities. In retrospect, we were lucky to have made the trip with little difficulty because the car was in marginal condition and I had much to learn about the Model A. It was one of our best Model A experiences!
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #31
burner31

If it's not raining, icy or muddy I will drive my A every day, if a car show is within 100 miles one way I will drive it.
My longest one day trip was around 300 miles.
Have never been on a multi-day trip in my Model A.
I have never broken down in my Model A, she always gets me home, all stock.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:40 AM   #32
rfitzpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
If it's not raining, icy or muddy I will drive my A every day,

Me Too -- Coral Springs, Florida
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:43 AM   #33
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
Me Too -- Coral Springs, Florida
Do not think ice will be a problem in Florida
Old 04-18-2021, 04:33 PM   #34
john in illinois

4,000 mi. Illinois to Big fish montana and Glacier Park in 2011 in our Tudor. No break downs and a lot of memories.

John
Old 04-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #35
buckwild 27

So far the farthest it's went is 50 miles round trip
buckwild 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:07 PM   #36
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild 27 View Post
A great start my friend, a great start !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #37
Model A Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwild 27 View Post
I agree.....this is a great start and you got me beat at this point. Like to join me in Charleston, SC ???
Old 04-18-2021, 08:14 PM   #38
nkaminar

Hey Synchro, can you post a photo of your camper trailer? Also details. How much does it weigh, etc.?
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:46 PM   #39
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Hey Synchro, can you post a photo of your camper trailer? Also details. How much does it weigh, etc.?
The data plate says its dry weight is 680 kg. That is 1496 pounds in the old speak but by the time we load it up, I estimate there is not much change out of a ton and I'm talking a proper ton, 2240 pounds. It is equipped with electronic stability control, hot water, 3 way fridge, reverse cycle air cond and a heap more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camper.jpg (82.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-19-2021, 05:49 PM   #40
Rob Doe

1968 June, post graduation from high schoool, 4000 miles to Mt. Estes Park and back to Ill.
Rob Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #41
George, Iowa

Syncro, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of your Model A and trailer you pulled.
George, Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #42
Big hammer

52 years and still tripping in my A !��
Old 04-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #43
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by George, Iowa View Post
Syncro, I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of your Model A and trailer you pulled.
PM sent.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:42 PM   #44
Model A Ron

I really enjoy hearing the stories about long distance trips. Hopefully the China Virus will pass soon and I can get some local Model A people to join me on my first "Longer" trip to Charleston. What a sight it would be to see a bunch of Model A's parked in front of the USS York Town......that just might make the evening news in Charleston

Ron