Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
archauto

Default Speedometer again

I just removed my speedo and spun it with a drill. It only registered when the gear was spinning counterclockwise when looking at the face of the speedo. The cable from the trans turns clockwise. The cable seems to fit into the speedo head with plenty of length. 1. Is the drive gear at the transmission in backwrds? 2. Is the speedo head in need of re-frubishing as it is supposed to work when turning clockwise? 3. I need an alien intervention or lobotomy.
It's the original speedo and transmission of the car although in 1962 my buddies and I switched frames which had a new rebuilt engine in it (don't ask why we didn't just change the engine). The car is a 30 Tudor and the frame/engine/trans/diff were from a 31 Coupe. With in 3 weeks I couldn't stand the fact that the 31 transmission kept popping out of 3rd gear so I switch in the old transmission and since then the speddo has not worked.
archauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #2
bobbader

Default Re: Speedometer again

YES, the speedo unit only registers while turning COUNTER CLOCKWISE. That part is correct.

Now, we have to find out how you determined the cable turns clockwise.

First and foremost, the drive gear/cap assembly should mount on the bottom of the torque tube and the threaded end where the cable housing screws on faces the passenger side of the frame. I've seen a few "rebuilt" rear ends where the torque tube is mounted upside down and, although I'm not sure it's possible, I had a customer who suggested the gear/cap assembly on his car was mounted facing the driver side of the car.

You haven't suggested how you determined that the cable turns clockwise. If you did it with the rear end jacked up and car running in gear, was the car in a forward gear or reverse? The cable itself can & will turn in either direction depending on which gear it's in. But, as stated above, the speedo will only register while being turned counter clockwise.

Good Luck. Bob Bader
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #3
archauto

Bob,
The speedo drive gear is on the passenger side of the torque tube. I had the rear end on jack stands and in 3rd gear to watch the speedo cable inside the car where the cable connectes to the speedometer (speedometer disconnected and hanging down).
Righty lefty, lefty righty. Something isn't right (correct)
archauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #4
nkaminar

If the odometer is running backwards, you car will get newer as you drive it.

You can check at the speedometer drive at the transmission by jacking up one wheel, putting it in neutral, and having someone turn the rear wheel in the forward direction of rotation.

This is very weird. There must be something backackwards in the speedo drive at the transmission.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 04-19-2021 at 09:17 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote