Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-12-2023, 03:50 PM   #1
cjshaker

Default Do any of you guys put seatbelts in your '30s Fords?

Because I plan on driving my '37 quite a bit when it's done, I wanted seat belts in it. There aren't any 'official' Ford belts for '30s Fords so far as I know, but I have several sets of these NOS '60 Ford belts and am planning on using a set. I don't think they look terrible for a '30s car, but they don't look real authentic either. Still, I have them, so figured I might as well use them.

I'm just curious if you guys put belts in your cars, and if so, what have you used to stay away from too modern of a look?

cjshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 04:48 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: Do any of you guys put seatbelts in your '30s Fords?

What really counts is not how they look, but rather how they are anchored.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 05:04 PM   #3
Jacques1960

Hell no. Drive slow. Die young.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:54 PM   #4
50fordcoupeman

I think your pictured one looks fine. I worked in the transportation industry my whole career. In all of the crashes I investigated, nearly all the deaths were related to NOT wearing a seatbelt!! They work folks.....................
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 07:38 PM   #5
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjshaker View Post
Because I plan on driving my '37 quite a bit when it's done, I wanted seat belts in it. There aren't any 'official' Ford belts for '30s Fords so far as I know, but I have several sets of these NOS '60 Ford belts and am planning on using a set. I don't think they look terrible for a '30s car, but they don't look real authentic either. Still, I have them, so figured I might as well use them.
I'm just curious if you guys put belts in your cars, and if so, what have you used to stay away from too modern of a look?
From your question we can assume you do not have a degree in mechanical engineering and that should be no deterrant.
In that case if you do the belts yourself, your best choice is in the case of a high G accident, you must decide what type of injuries you want to have.

A good practical and probably safest solution would be to find a race or speed shop that has an engineer on the staff and has built and run successful circle track race cars.
This may sound far fetched but the science of keeping a body
to minimum injury in a high G crash is not something that can be done in a back yard shop.

Auto companies have spent millions on seat belt design and they are no where near 100% successful yet.

Looks is the LAST thing you should be thinking about.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:11 PM   #6
JayChicago

Quote:
I'm just curious if you guys put belts in your cars, and if so, what have you used to stay away from too modern look?
On my '40, I try to keep the car as close to original as I can. For that reason, I would never add seat belts.

On my '37 flatrod, there is not much original to the car, so I added seat belts for the safety of me and my family. I bought from Seatbelts Plus. They have lots of options to select from. I went with the aviation-style buckle, which does not look too modern.

BTW, I think your sixties belts look great.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 08:50 PM   #7
Tim Ayers

I did in both the passenger and rumble. I got my belts from Racer Direct. I got the belts that look like the old military airplane belts. They come in different widths, colors and are made in the USA.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:22 PM   #8
mhsprecher

I have seatbelts in all my antiques, except the Model T, which is not roadworthy. I got mine from Juliano's. https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 09:26 PM   #9
John R

The safest is a three-point belt system: seat belts plus a shoulder strap. In most of our old Fords, it is a significant challenge to mount the shoulder strap securely, provide reasonable comfort and appearance and minimize alterations to the car.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:50 PM   #10
fordor41

wouldn't drive car with todays drivers without seat belts or better yet 3 point belts
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:02 PM   #11
47topless

In a bad crash, lap belts will keep you in the car and, if you survive, you will probably be paralyzed from the waist down. But, hey, you're still alive, sort of.
For solid topped vehicles, with their tall door jams, the addition of a shoulder belt is an option. These 3 point designs will also keep you in the car, in a crash, but they will offer your body a much better outcome. Of course, these belts (harnesses) are not period correct. A thinly valid reason for not installing them. "They warnt no belts on my car when she done come otta duh factory and she ain't a gonna get none now!" Period correct to the grave.
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:03 PM   #12
SoCalCoupe

Not exactly what you asked but I put seat belts into my 1941 Ford. I planned to as soon as I got it, but I dragged my feet a little. One day after working on my car for a bit, I took it for a short test drive and as I pulled out of my alley and turned left the passenger side door popped open. I hadn't shut it properly. The door latches on these cars are crap compared to a modern bear claw latch. Not complaining, that's just a fact. Things have improved a lot in the past 82 years.

No damage to the car. My 50 year-old screw driver rolled out and got some new scratches. Obviously no big deal. Of course, there are so many ways it could have been serious rather than just embarrassing.

I quickly ordered some color samples from Juliano's and ordered set of shoulder belts with lift-latch buckles. To my mind, they're barely noticeable, blend right in, and don't look out of place in my '41 but I feel an order of magnitude safer.

By the way, for maximum safety, you want the third point as high as possible on the b-pillar. I won't go into it here but ask me if you're interested why.

SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:16 PM   #13
cjshaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
From your question we can assume you do not have a degree in mechanical engineering and that should be no deterrant.
In that case if you do the belts yourself, your best choice is in the case of a high G accident, you must decide what type of injuries you want to have.

A good practical and probably safest solution would be to find a race or speed shop that has an engineer on the staff and has built and run successful circle track race cars.
This may sound far fetched but the science of keeping a body
to minimum injury in a high G crash is not something that can be done in a back yard shop.

Auto companies have spent millions on seat belt design and they are no where near 100% successful yet.

Looks is the LAST thing you should be thinking about.

40 years doing this stuff, and have an 8 point with a 5 point harness in my '69 Mach 1 that I drag race, NHRA spec, I can do a few things
Old 04-12-2023, 10:23 PM   #14
tubman

Yeah, I'm with you. I kinda wonder what point "Pete" was trying to make.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:26 PM   #15
Pete

Quote:
40 years doing this stuff, and have an 8 point with a 5 point harness in my '69 Mach 1 that I drag race, NHRA spec, I can do a few things
OK, you got my point. Most don't.

I auto crossed a Mach 1 many moons ago. Good luck.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 10:36 PM   #16
cjshaker

I had considered the effect if no shoulder belt was used. I just thought they would kill the look of the interior. I may have to rethink that, and check out if there's an aviation type 3 way that looks older. I have other '60s belts with shoulder straps, but they take 2 lap belts each side. I have enough of these that I could also use them as shoulder straps, but that would also require 4 latches laying on the seat, and a pain putting them both on. The others have that retractor that would completely cover my dome switch, and are a bit unsightly. Everything is a tradeoff.

As far as anchoring, I also have NOS anchors for these belts, and plate reinforcements to use with them. Fabbing that sort of stuff up is not an issue for me.
Old 04-12-2023, 11:49 PM   #17
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
I had considered the effect if no shoulder belt was used. I just thought they would kill the look of the interior. I may have to rethink that, and check out if there's an aviation type 3 way that looks older. I have other '60s belts with shoulder straps, but they take 2 lap belts each side. I have enough of these that I could also use them as shoulder straps, but that would also require 4 latches laying on the seat, and a pain putting them both on. The others have that retractor that would completely cover my dome switch, and are a bit unsightly. Everything is a tradeoff.

As far as anchoring, I also have NOS anchors for these belts, and plate reinforcements to use with them. Fabbing that sort of stuff up is not an issue for me.
I see better where you're coming from.

I REALLY dig the original/period-correct look and feel. I have original wheels, pie crust tires, flathead, period carburetors, 6V + ground and 3-on-the-tree shifting. It's not a street-rod. The highways where I live, and the cars on them, are not 1941 period correct. I can't get out of the county without going on an interstate. Can't get on the interstate without seeing at least one car going 80-90-100 mph weaving in and out traffic, overly confident, unbelievable horsepower, 4-wheel 12-piston discs, and the mistaken belief that my reactions and stopping distance are as good as his.

So, you're right, it's a compromise. If I was to keep my car as a trailer queen, like the owners of the past 20 years, I'd go for 100 point perfection, no seat belts, no compromise. But since I drive it quite a bit in a world that's not period correct, I want the 3-point seat belts.

BTW, IMHO, the lift-latch buckles look SO much better than the GM-style push-button buckles.

Sounds like you understand what you're doing at least as well as I do; have fun; be safe.

Brad

Last edited by SoCalCoupe; 04-13-2023 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spacing
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 12:30 AM   #18
OldGold360

Nope!
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 07:10 AM   #19
gwistrup

SolCalCoupe, Do you have any more pictures that show the installation of your three point seat belts? How did you attach the belt to the B pillar and at the base? I was going to put lap belts in my '40 but your three point installation looks very good and is significantly safer.
gwistrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 07:40 AM   #20
Dennisfly

B pillar no-weld mount hardware

https://www.julianos.com/No-Weld-B-p...p/ju010955.htm