Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
felix37

Angry Bad reproduction window channel kit?

Has anybody had problems with there window channel kits from Vintique? I replaced all four windows less than a year and a half ago,and the felt and cloth is pulling away from all four outside pieces! and the once black cloth looks sun bleached white! Did I do something wrong?? the installation was pretty straight forward and I asked other people for advice before installing them.They looked great for the first six months,but now they are as rough looking as the originals I took off!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3595.jpg (61.5 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3596.jpg (32.3 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3597.jpg (55.0 KB, 181 views)
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Bad reproduction window channel kit?

Ive had the same problems. mine came from Bob Drake and they were a dead ringer from the originals . I didnt have so much of coming a part as I did the fading . One trick I learned from a very respectable collector of 40 Fords is to re-color them with a black pemanant marker, makes them look like new . Cant help you much with them coming apart .
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
32Gnu

I am watching.. I need to order mine this week..
32Gnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Walt Dupont--Me.

I've never got anything that says Vintique on the package that has been anygood. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
felix37

The Sad thing is there is a big sticker on the box that says Made in the USA !!!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #6
Lawson Cox

The ones I got for my 35 Pickup (Name of supplier withheld for personal reasons) and they started coming apart, especially at the curves. I clipped the fabric at the corners and glued them back down. Doesn't look too bad at present, but it hasn't been out in the sun much. Thanks for the tip about the magic marker.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
Ralph Moore

Doesn't all of that Vintique's stuff come from China?
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
Karl Wescott

Vintique has a lot of stuff made in the USA. They also get a lot from China.

My understanding is that some of the window felt channels and single sided strip are standard automotive glass supplies that Vintique cuts, bends, and adds clips. The deeper batwings are custom made with the felt again a standard automotive glass supply. The issue could be with the raw material supplier (which is likely the same for Drake and Carpenter as well).

Contact whoever you purchased the kit from and see if they will work with Vintique to exchange it (they likely will... with one exactly the same LOL). If the vendor will not work with you email me at karlw(at)wescottsauto(dot)com and I will send you Vintiques phone number.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
31chevy

I used " stickey stuff " a spray glue used for insulation, upholstery etc.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #10
chuck stevens

I had the same thing happen on my 39 standard. But it was restored in the 80's and I just thought it was a time thing. It was so long a go I'm sure it wasn't Vintiques stuff.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
Barry-ct

I bought mine from LMC and when they arrived, they were in a Vintique box. It also said, made in USA on it. I had to trim the ends like the old ones and add the push clips to the pieces. My doors on my truck have a recess on the top edge that you use to close the doors ( no arm rests ) and these parts were not the same curve as the recesses. I am very dissappointed in the kit. THe channels that the glass rides in were very good, but the horizontal fuzzies were crap! I will have to re-do the fuzzies again I'm sure. Maybe I should send them the old ones for a pattern!!

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
39coupe

I have the same problem with the one's in my '39. They aren't faded but do appear to be pulling apart. And my window glass goes up and down just fine. More marginal Vintique stuff...
39coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #13
dude

The sun plays havoc on cloth and dyes. Had the same problem on my cars. The sun doesn't care of it use made in China or USA.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #14
Gumpy

purchased mine from drake they held up so far
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
Kahuna

I purchased my window channel, not as a kit, but indiviual pieces from Mac's. Also got some from an automotive glass place. They've held up great for the last 20+ years on my 39 Std coupe
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
wga

Felix - CR Laurence is a huge supplier to the glass service industry, felts, to aluminum extrusions. You can purchase from a glass shop - automotive or residential, commercial. Check the window channels they have. I used them for
my '49 . I compared what I had to what was in their catalog, dimensions, etc.

Their automotive website: http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/conte.../index_us.html
Old 02-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
DICK SPADARO

This post is to somewhat address the problem related to the window channel kits on the above posts. In my experience with these kits it is not the brand of the kit that is in question. This whisker material is common automotive product that is made by various trim manufacturers. This material is hand formed in a jig to conform to the molding or door contour by secondary vendors so results should not vary because of similar fabrication methods.

Since I have personally damaged a kit during installation I have found that most problems in degradation of the whisker come from accidentally over bending the corners inward radius. Since the cloth material is only glued to the metal retainer this accidental stressing breaks the bond. As the cloth bond is already stretched, the cloth loosens up after a period of time or immediately as in my case and pulls away. Once this bond is broken it cannot be repaired. This over bending is very easy to do and to the point of being easily overlooked during manipulation of the whisker.

To help alleviate the separation issue I have been using extra care when handling the whisker. I now start the installation at the most curved point of the molding and work around from there rather than finishing up at the major curve. I have had good luck using the small counter sunk screws and clips to retain the whisker in close proximity to the sharp radius curvature sections. By giving the trim some extra pinch support it seems to prevent the molding whisker from separating.

As for the color degradation this varies as to the age of the product, sunlight exposure, the detergent and frequency that the vehicle is washed.

Again this is my experience with this product and I hope it sheds some light on the issue.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
Marv

I bought kits for a 39 Ford 2 dr. sedan about 20 years ago.They were never out of the box till this thread started. I opened the boxes and most of the materials are junk and just plain fell apart. They are Vintique brand and the parts never seen the sun, although the boxes may have. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #19
GreenMonster48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry-ct View Post
I bought mine from LMC and when they arrived, they were in a Vintique box. It also said, made in USA on it. I had to trim the ends like the old ones and add the push clips to the pieces. My doors on my truck have a recess on the top edge that you use to close the doors ( no arm rests ) and these parts were not the same curve as the recesses. I am very dissappointed in the kit. THe channels that the glass rides in were very good, but the horizontal fuzzies were crap! I will have to re-do the fuzzies again I'm sure. Maybe I should send them the old ones for a pattern!!

Barry

50 F-1
I just did mine this summer....well one side at least. It was such a pain I didn't want to do the other side. The clips on the horizontal fuzzies WOULD NOT stay in. Similar experience though. Extreme disappointment. Was looking forward to doing that job.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #20
Barry-ct

I had the same problem as you describe. They won't stay on the door very well. I've only done the one side and it was frustrating. It took me 3/4 of a day to install the vent window, door glass and the glass run and fuzzies. By the time I finished the one door, I was cranked! too many expletive deletive said that day!! I still have to get a pass side glass made to finish the job. I just wish that the manufacturers would check the new stuff against the old before they sell this stuff!

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote