Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2018, 02:20 PM   #41
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Flathead V-8 tops 200 MPH Rear engine modified 27 Ford roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post
that's what I figured. Whipples are NEVER cheap. I was more interested in any conversion you had to do for wet running. obviously none considering it's designed for it. the eaton units are coated inside with an unsealed needle bearing on the back side. to convert it I have stripped the teflon coating and will be using a sealed needle bearing.

awesome run and 12 psi is some kinda pressure for a flathead. I'd love to hear what you think would transfer well to a street blown flathead in a roadster.
Revkev
For the Flathead street blower engines I run and build for others boost levels around 8 pounds works well and helps set you back a bit in the drivers seat. Typical crankshaft horsepower numbers are close to 300 HP using a Merc crankshaft and 3-5/16 bore.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:53 PM   #42
scooder

Thanks for the reply Ronnie,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #43
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Revkev
For the Flathead street blower engines I run and build for others boost levels around 8 pounds works well and helps set you back a bit in the drivers seat. Typical crankshaft horsepower numbers are close to 300 HP using a Merc crankshaft and 3-5/16 bore.

running 8psi, I'm assuming you have something to support the mains?? straps or a steel center main? the test mule I'm going to start with is just a good running 239 that has cracked exhaust ports rebuilt mostly stock 25 years ago. I'm going to put some sealer in the radiator and run it till it pops. HARD.
plan after that is to take the spare block I have kicking around and build that into a bigger motor that will with any luck last and build hp.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #44
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
running 8psi, I'm assuming you have something to support the mains?? straps or a steel center main? the test mule I'm going to start with is just a good running 239 that has cracked exhaust ports rebuilt mostly stock 25 years ago. I'm going to put some sealer in the radiator and run it till it pops. HARD.
plan after that is to take the spare block I have kicking around and build that into a bigger motor that will with any luck last and build hp.

The center main support of my design is extremely simple. First I place a steel support over the center main bearing cap held in place with ARP studs and related hardware this support also holds the bearing cap in position it also extends to and touches the inside surface of the oil pan.
Next I build build a simple triangle support that bolts to three oil pan rail bolt holes of the block this support sits on the oil pan surface. The outside material is 1/8 plate steel just large enough to cover the side of the pan up to where the steel support is located inside the pan.
Once I have this triangle support made I then cross drill threw this support into the side of the oil pan and continue drilling into the side of the steel support holding the center main in place.
Final step I tap into the steel support A 7/16 coarse thread I now have a cross bolted center main. The proof of its strength was realized in 2016 when we experienced a serious engine failure at Speedweek. Due to an oiling issue rod number 4 and 8 broke after the bearings welded themselves to the crankshaft journal. The internal carnage was extreme caused by the still connected sections of the rods spinning and breaking everything in their way including the camshaft. When I examined the block after it was all apart
the center main area of the block held together. Theres no cracks in the center web of this now dead block and the stock cast center main bearing cap also is perfect. The crankshaft had fifteen thousands run out in the center.
Just a simple amount of additional support is needed and our damaged block is proof on how well it worked.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Old 08-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #45
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
The center main support of my design is extremely simple. First I place a steel support over the center main bearing cap held in place with ARP studs and related hardware this support also holds the bearing cap in position it also extends to and touches the inside surface of the oil pan.
Next I build build a simple triangle support that bolts to three oil pan rail bolt holes of the block this support sits on the oil pan surface. The outside material is 1/8 plate steel just large enough to cover the side of the pan up to where the steel support is located inside the pan.
Once I have this triangle support made I then cross drill threw this support into the side of the oil pan and continue drilling into the side of the steel support holding the center main in place.
Final step I tap into the steel support A 7/16 coarse thread I now have a cross bolted center main. The proof of its strength was realized in 2016 when we experienced a serious engine failure at Speedweek. Due to an oiling issue rod number 4 and 8 broke after the bearings welded themselves to the crankshaft journal. The internal carnage was extreme caused by the still connected sections of the rods spinning and breaking everything in their way including the camshaft. When I examined the block after it was all apart
the center main area of the block held together. Theres no cracks in the center web of this now dead block and the stock cast center main bearing cap also is perfect. The crankshaft had fifteen thousands run out in the center.
Just a simple amount of additional support is needed and our damaged block is proof on how well it worked.
Ronnieroadster

I really like the sound of that support. seems like it's the simplest solution to increasing strength without having to completely rebuild the oil pan area. do you happen to have a picture of what the internal portion of the strap looks like so I could see how you fit it to the cap and a general idea of size??
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:44 PM   #46
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
I really like the sound of that support. seems like it's the simplest solution to increasing strength without having to completely rebuild the oil pan area. do you happen to have a picture of what the internal portion of the strap looks like so I could see how you fit it to the cap and a general idea of size??

I dont have a photo of the support since they are now hidden away inside the race engines. When i make the supports I mill the surface that sits on the bearing cap so it follows the shape of the cap. The area in contact with the cap is milled so it sits exactly where the lock washer and bolt hold the original cap in place to do this takes some creative milling by hand. I also add A bolt to the center of the support which touches the top center of the main bearing cap to help add support in that area. The center support bolt idea is identical to the simple center main bearing supports that are available
from some company's or easily made from 1/2 inch high by 1 inch wide flat steel stock.