Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #21
Mart

Default Re: Flathead V-8 tops 200 MPH Rear engine modified 27 Ford roadster

Well done, Ronnie, that is a stupendous achievement.

For the technically minded, would you care to share the trans type, rear end ratio and tyre size?

I'd find that very interesting.

Mart.

Last edited by Mart; 07-27-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #22
Ol' Ron

ATTA BOY Ron. Yes we learn by our mistakes. 25 years ago I moved the ports on a flathead block only to see less than a 4% increase in flow. If you consider the firing order of the engine the engine actually has 4 exhaust ports, the center one is just used twice. Unfortunately the intake port in it's present configuration cannot feed the engine with out help from a blower.
Keep up the good work.
Ron
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #23
tubman

Excellent run, Ronnie! I too, was impressed with the engine turning damn near 7K. If you don't mind, what is required to do this? I have an 8BA wth a MAX-1 and the Isky 185G springs and I have run it to 5500. It seemed to be OK, but at this time, I don't want to turn it any higher. Would turning it tighter break something, or am I just a sissy?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:30 PM   #24
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Excellent run, Ronnie! I too, was impressed with the engine turning damn near 7K. If you don't mind, what is required to do this? I have an 8BA wth a MAX-1 and the Isky 185G springs and I have run it to 5500. It seemed to be OK, but at this time, I don't want to turn it any higher. Would turning it tighter break something, or am I just a sissy?

What I can tell some things about how I can get the RPM to this point and higher with reliability. First I use hand made tool steel lifters which are rollers the cam is a special one off design which took a number of profiles before we hit on one that works well. The cam timing is extremely important so getting the cam center line wheres it works best has also been a lot of experimentation. Changing the bolt pattern in the cam gear takes me a lot of time to get things accurate.
Something I failed to add in my post all of the engine machine work is done by me and my son we have the equipment needed to do every step required no one else has had there hands in the engine we also do the assembly work.
To answer your question about how high you can rev your combination the weak link in the combination is the crankshaft the factory cranks have been known to fail at around 6500 RPM for some who have used them for racing. That being said I would pick 6000 as the red line for your combination.
Thanks to everyone for the congratulations. Our next outing will be at Bonneville our plan is to be in the long coarse line Saturday morning since our car is qualified from our record from 2016 for the long coarse. When it comes time to make the pass i will run her to mile three and see what happens.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #25
Flathead

Congratulations Ronnie. Going fast with the valves still in the block really takes talent.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 PM   #26
corvette8n

Congrats, your hard work has paid off.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #27
tubman

Ronnie, Thanks for the information. It seems like I am kind of a sissy, but not too big a one.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:35 PM   #28
1930 turbo

Congratulations,I really like that you and your son did all the engine work. How many lbs. of boost do you run?
1930 turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:35 AM   #29
JWL
Member Emeritus

The weak link when our Flatheads are pushed to higher power and RPM is the stock connecting rod. They will take 7000 RPM for 3 runs at the drag strip. After that there is good reason to have the diaper firmly attached. The pin end will separate on the exhaust stroke with even the lightest parts attached.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #30
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 turbo View Post
Congratulations,I really like that you and your son did all the engine work. How many lbs. of boost do you run?

Thanks 1930 Turbo

Were seeing 12 pounds of boost using a Whipple 2.3 size blower they were made for boat applications.
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH

Last edited by Ronnieroadster; 07-29-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #31
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
The weak link when our Flatheads are pushed to higher power and RPM is the stock connecting rod. They will take 7000 RPM for 3 runs at the drag strip. After that there is good reason to have the diaper firmly attached. The pin end will separate on the exhaust stroke with even the lightest parts attached.

At the level we are running obviously we would never consider using the stock connecting rods. We use rods from Cunningham,Carrillo or Ferguson all will withstand over 8 grand I know I have pushed my Flatheads to those levels learning a few things never had A rod,engine or any bearing issues.
Ronnieroadster
Old 07-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #32
Habusailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
At the level we are running obviously we would never consider using the stock connecting rods. We use rods from Cunningham,Carrillo or Ferguson all will withstand over 8 grand I know I have pushed my Flatheads to those levels learning a few things never had A rod,engine or any bearing issues.

Ronnieroadster

Maybe a dumb question but you must go through some blocks in your testing phase, where do you keep finding good blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #33
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habusailor View Post
Maybe a dumb question but you must go through some blocks in your testing phase, where do you keep finding good blocks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first Flathead block I worked on was my daily driver 1950 Ford panel truck that was in 1971 that first engine I still have. From 1971 up to today any opportunity I have to get a Flathead for a reasonable price I do so. Finding a worthy block so far has not been a problem.
Once I have the block complexity apart A hot tanking takes place and next a mag check for cracks and final step A complete submersion in citric acid and water bath. Once i find a block thats going to be used for my extreme duty race application I then use a sonic tester to determine cylinder wall thickness.
This engine I ran is my second complete all out Flathead valve in block engine the first engine which I built in 2015 presently holds the gas supercharged record at Bonneville at 192.448 MPH set in 2016 it also holds the fastest Flathead pass at the ECTA LSR event in Ohio one mile speed 179.9 MPH the engine has a lot of miles on her under full throttle now this is the backup engine to this latest version. With lots of work reliability is possible however it takes a lot of time to do these engines there's no easy short cut and if the time alone is counted the cost is high. Thats why we do all of this ourselfs trying to keep the cost within reason.
Rnnieroadster
Old 07-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #34
Blownflatheaddeuce

Just awesome Ronnie, would love to visit you oer there after meeting at the GNRS. Well done to you all !
Blownflatheaddeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #35
whygoby

Congrats Ron!!…….. See you soon at Bonneville!!
whygoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:17 AM   #36
revkev6

Quote:
Thanks 1930 Turbo

Were seeing 12 pounds of boost using a Whipple 2.3 size blower they were made for boat applications.

Ron, I asked about the supercharger on the Hamb...is this whipple one originally setup for a carb or did you have to convert it?? I was curious because I'm building a flathead supercharger setup on the cheap (we PM'd once or twice about it) that is using the eaton supercharger that I'm "converting" to carb.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #37
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by revkev6 View Post
Ron, I asked about the supercharger on the Hamb...is this whipple one originally setup for a carb or did you have to convert it?? I was curious because I'm building a flathead supercharger setup on the cheap (we PM'd once or twice about it) that is using the eaton supercharger that I'm "converting" to carb.

The Whipple blower I use is made with a carb mount. Whipple made the blower for a marine application but they are no longer being made however once in a while I see them on Ebay being sold from a boat. They are usually expensive so not really A cheap blower when found.
I know of at least one racer who has converted the same size Whipple that was made for A throttle body only {this style is plentiful and easier to find} he made an intake inlet that bolts to the location of the throttle body this opening is located on the rear of the blower.
Ronnieroadster
Old 07-31-2018, 06:31 AM   #38
scooder

Good work Ronnie,
How are you locating the roller lifters to keep them from turning in the lifter bores? Do you "key" them like the isky 404A or similar, or with straps like most of the OHV stuff?
Congrats Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:10 AM   #39
revkev6

Quote:
The Whipple blower I use is made with a carb mount. Whipple made the blower for a marine application but they are no longer being made however once in a while I see them on Ebay being sold from a boat. They are usually expensive so not really A cheap blower when found.
I know of at least one racer who has converted the same size Whipple that was made for A throttle body only {this style is plentiful and easier to find} he made an intake inlet that bolts to the location of the throttle body this opening is located on the rear of the blower.
Ronnieroadster

that's what I figured. Whipples are NEVER cheap. I was more interested in any conversion you had to do for wet running. obviously none considering it's designed for it. the eaton units are coated inside with an unsealed needle bearing on the back side. to convert it I have stripped the teflon coating and will be using a sealed needle bearing.

awesome run and 12 psi is some kinda pressure for a flathead. I'd love to hear what you think would transfer well to a street blown flathead in a roadster.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #40
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Good work Ronnie,
How are you locating the roller lifters to keep them from turning in the lifter bores? Do you "key" them like the isky 404A or similar, or with straps like most of the OHV stuff?
Congrats Martin.
Hi Martin
I use the tried and true Isky design copper coated steel wire guides in the lifter bores I actually use an original Isky fixture to do the job.