Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-01-2023, 11:02 AM   #1
Duke

Default Do you grease your transmission bearings on a rebuild

I am just about done my first rebuild of a 39 transmission. I know the front and rear bearings are lubricated by gear oil splash. Do you grease them so they are not dry on the first start up? I put gear oil on them that is slowly running off. I still have lots of things to complete before I can drive the car.
Thanks
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 01:39 PM   #2
Flathead Fever

Default Re: Do you grease your transmission bearings on a rebuild

I used to rebuild a lot of transmissions at work. We used grease to hold the individual needle bearings in place and we put a little 90W in the input and output shaft bearings to pre-lube them. Those don't matter as much as they will be lubricated almost instantly when the gears start splashing gear oil around, but it never hurts to pre-lube any bearing and seal. Especially if you are going to let the rebuilt assembled part sit for a while. Some of these total home restorations take years, maybe decades. You want to cover "all" the internal surfaces, so they don't rust. Take a paint brush and brush the surfaces with lite coating of gear oil to keep any moisture off of the gears. They will still look like new 30-years from now when you finish your restoration. They will look better than you will.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:10 PM   #3
Hans hendrik

I was advised by technical experts to use "Molykote BR2 plus" before installing components/ rotating parts to an engine, just to cope with the first revolutions before the oil pressure is sufficient to reach all parts and avoid running dry. This black "grease" will absorbed by the oil shortly therafter
Hans hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 02:32 PM   #4
svm99

New ball bearings should be preluded from the manufacturer. I use SKF and they are lubed. I use assembly lube on all other rotating components especially the 3 roller bearings.
Paul J

Last edited by svm99; 06-04-2023 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Typo
svm99 is offline   Reply With Quote