Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
A Model A

Default The Engine Assembly Line

Using 22 different archived videos spliced together this video depicts the Model A engine being produced; from sand molds to being dropped in a chassis.

https://youtu.be/bVsCaHcKj14

Make sure to look out for the main bearing babbitt being poured, the flywheel being balanced, and the manifolds being assembled.

How did we do?

You can view other Model A videos here;
https://www.youtube.com/c/AModelA/videos
A Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:16 PM   #2
Fullraceflathead

Default Re: The Engine Assembly Line

I think it turned out very well thank you for all the effort and making that video happen

"Primitive technology is not a design flaw"

1928 Ford Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Gordon Smith Air Compressor
1941 Willy's Pickup
1960 Thunderbird-For Sale
1964 Buick Riviera 2x4 425
1965 Pontiac GTO, 455 Super Duty
2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10, V-10 Viper
1977 Charger Jet Boat,460 Ford,Jacuzzi Jet
Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster,Supercharged 296 "Fullrace Flathead" Ford
Engine Build up on DVD ask
Fullraceflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:31 AM   #3
Bruce of MN

It would be interesting to see a comparable video of the factory where the Burtz blocks are made.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:56 AM   #4
marty in Ohio

Very interesting video. I can't believe the dirty conditions those guys worked under. I guess that was pre - OSHA.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:28 AM   #5
zzlegend

Dirty, hot, and non stop. Men were Men back then. Very interesting clip. Thanks.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:40 AM   #6
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty in Ohio View Post
Very interesting video. I can't believe the dirty conditions those guys worked under. I guess that was pre - OSHA.
Marty
I wonder how many died from lung disease! I am sure their retirement parties were small.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #7
JoeCB

Both of my grandfathers worked for Ford. Both started at Highland park then moved to the Rouge when Model A production started. Both being immigrants, and like most immigrants and blacks you started in the foundry. Grandpa used to say, had hot metal in front of you and snow blowing on your back. If you survived the foundry and worked hard you could move out to a better job. If you were really lucky, like my paternal grandpa George you got a cushy job as a second shift janitor at the Lincoln - Mercury administration building. My maternal grandpa Peter was diagnosed with silicosis from the foundry sand. It was all about the money, working hard to support one's family. I guess that your personal health was secondary. All considered, relative to today's standards they did pretty well, both grandpas raised families on their single incomes, owned homes, bought a new Ford every few years and both managed to also own a simple little summer cottage.
Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:44 AM   #8
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCB View Post
Both of my grandfathers worked for Ford. Both started at Highland park then moved to the Rouge when Model A production started. Both being immigrants, and like most immigrants and blacks you started in the foundry. Grandpa used to say, had hot metal in front of you and snow blowing on your back. If you survived the foundry and worked hard you could move out to a better job. If you were really lucky, like my paternal grandpa George you got a cushy job as a second shift janitor at the Lincoln - Mercury administration building. My maternal grandpa Peter was diagnosed with silicosis from the foundry sand. It was all about the money, working hard to support one's family. I guess that your personal health was secondary. All considered, relative to today's standards they did pretty well, both grandpas raised families on their single incomes, owned homes, bought a new Ford every few years and both managed to also own a simple little summer cottage.
Joe B
You should be very proud of your ancestry. Wayne

Old 01-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #9
Will N

Cool. I loved the guy who was inspecting the crank journals with gauge, and then another guy comes to check the accuracy of his gauge against a master block, and gives him a replacement gauge to use. The engine was built to close tolerances. Also loved the guy tightening the main bearing caps with a double handle wrench. No torque wrenches used. Just a wrench with a long enough handle that a man of average strength could tighten the bolt to the proper tightness with two grunts.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #10
1930artdeco

Great video. Man how life has changed-for the better in a lot of respects.

Mike
Old 01-15-2022, 12:33 PM   #11
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will N View Post
Cool. I loved the guy who was inspecting the crank journals with gauge, and then another guy comes to check the accuracy of his gauge against a master block, and gives him a replacement gauge to use. The engine was built to close tolerances. Also loved the guy tightening the main bearing caps with a double handle wrench. No torque wrenches used. Just a wrench with a long enough handle that a man of average strength could tighten the bolt to the proper tightness with two grunts.
And then you see on the barn people wanting to know how many pounds to tighten wheel nuts! Hahah
Old 01-15-2022, 12:46 PM   #12
JoeCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
And then you see on the barn people wanting to know how many pounds to tighten wheel nuts! Hahah
My thoughts exactly ...
PS, thanks for the kind comment, And know that on the way to the cottages just south of Lexington they would have driven past you on Gratiot M-25

Joe B
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:23 PM   #13
burner31

I was a team leader in the CERP program (Castings Emission Reduction Program), a US Government/GM/Ford program to reduce emissions during engine manufacturing, in the US/Mexico/Canada/China/Europe.
This was back in the mid/late 90's...seems not much has changed, still dirty, still hot and still hard work.
Those guys did not get payed enough in my opinion. But their lunches were free at the auto plants, and boy could those guys eat, more then likely the biggest meal of their day Ate at both the floor workers chow hall and the executive dining facility, which one do you think had the better food...yeah
Really liked the video, have not thought about those days in awhile.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:17 PM   #14
alexiskai

It's so weird, my YouTube channel has picked up a couple dozen subscribers purely off this video. Apparently YT is recommending one of my videos if you watch this one. Guess I need to get going on the next in the Nu-Rex series.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:03 AM   #15
Dodge

Great video, really enjoyed it.
Thanks
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:03 PM   #16
AYooperA

To A Model A; Thank You for compiling those wonderful videos for the engine and body plants. They really illustrate how much physical labor went into building the Model A. Some of those tasks could be featured on Mile Rowe’s Dirty Jobs series. I do times wonder about the people back in the day who built my A’s. My Grandfather worked at a Ford plant from the depression up until the early 50’s. It was the Kingsford, MI wood plant which was active until 1951 when they dropped the true woodies. He was lucky to have that job during those times in the UP. It kept him out of the iron mines and “the wolf away from the door”. He was able to get a pension and my Aunt (his Daughter) got a full scholarship to Michigan State from Ford Motor Company. I know today is a world economy … I buy Ford Products.
AYooperA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:10 PM   #17
Gene F

The machines do not have guards on them, except to catch the waste for recycling. Guess recycling is not a new idea.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:26 PM   #18
hep1966

Neat video. Thanks for posting.
hep1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:58 PM   #19
kawagumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
The machines do not have guards on them, except to catch the waste for recycling. Guess recycling is not a new idea.

Even in the 60's machinery often lacked guards. I worked at a cement manufacturing plant and for my uncle who was a farmer back then with big irrigation pumps. At both it was common to have big electric motors connected to machines via belts that would slap and pop right next to you sometimes at over 20' in length. Pretty scary to be walking next to those things.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote