Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
wrndln

Default TCP paints

I have been using PPG Concept to paint my cars - a 28 special coupe and a 29 phaeton. I have two more vehicles to paint - a 29 CCPU and 28 roadster. The PPG paint is very high priced and going higher. There was recently a link to the TCP Global website that shows they have the colors used on model A's. The acrylic urethane, like Concept, is about a third the price of PPG Concept, as well as the reducer and catalyst at much lower prices. I would like to know how Fordbarn people rate the TCP paint. I have no idea of the TCP paint's quality. I suspect that it may be comparable to the cheaper paint lines like Nason and Omni form PPG and DuPont. If the quality isn't comparable to Concept (PPG top of the line acrylic urethane), I would probably stick with it due to the work required to prep and paint a vehicle. I might be wrong and the TCP paint is "top of the line" quality. Any helpful responses would be appreciated.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #2
captndan

Default Re: TCP paints

Well for what it's worth the most beautiful paint job I have seen was top of the line NAPA. The top coat, I don't remember the name, was from Germany also from NAPA. This was from a custom shop in North Carolina.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #3
mrtexas

I've used concepts and TCP global paint. Both good IMHO. Two car with TCP global and just ordered paint for a third. I ordered two gallons for the 41 woodie so I won't run out. Just $150 extra.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
tim54889

I love TCP. I bought all the paint for 2 tone Tudor, hardeners, thinners, primer with it's hardener, all the black paint, pinstripe brush, pinstripe paint and thinner. Plus hvlp gun! Under $350! And they will mix Model A colors!
I think I used up all my exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tim54889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #5
Bob/Kansas City

I used the TCP acrylic lacquer base color and clear on my roadster and was very pleased with the result. I put on four coats of color and it came out so well that I was tempted not to clear coat it but went ahead and finished the job with three coats of clear. I used their medium thinner for the temps I was painting in last fall and it worked well allowing enough flow out time to flatten before starting to dry.
TCP has good spec sheets with good directions on their paints that are very helpful.
For what it's worth I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint small.jpg (116.0 KB, 58 views)
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #6
loubob

TCP is vg-ex.
loubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
John Duden

I used Implement paint, John Deere HIGH GLOSS black, It is like $17 a quart and i did my whole truck with it, it turned out very beautiful. To get rid of the orange peel look we warmed the paint and sprayed it, i am very happy on how it turneed out
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11194513_1569010080054060_469719895978522249_o.jpg (41.4 KB, 68 views)
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:40 PM   #8
mrtexas

I'll bet TCP Restoration Shop is Valspar paint but I don't know for sure.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:28 PM   #9
GreaseMonkeyMark

I've used TCP Global Restoration Paint with excellent results. I was a PPG guy but thought I'd try it out. Sprayed a 73 vette pearl white. Great coverage and finish.
GreaseMonkeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:50 AM   #10
tinman080

I used Starfire Acrylic enamel for my last 2 wood bodied cars, single stage(no clear coat) with hardener and shot with lacquer thinner. I've shot acrylic enamel since it was introduced and am totally comfortable with the stuff.....Plywood does take a little extra prep work. Ha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1564.jpg (88.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1665.jpg (74.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2142.jpg (103.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0032.jpg (107.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #11
chap52

I recently used TCP products on my truck. It was my first attempt at painting a vehicle. (except for rattle can primer job we did on my 46 Ford in 1962) Turned out pretty sweet. Both primer and enamel went on nice. I wanted a complete package, which the TCP Restoration Shop offered.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #12
wrndln

Thanks to all that posted responses. It appears that most people believe TCP Restoration Shop paint is good quality. I might give it a try on my pickup. If anyone has used Rock Moss Green, would you please post here to let me know if the color was correct. I had problems with two colors of PPG Concept, so I am a little concerned about paint from suppliers being the right color.
Rusty Nelson
Old 04-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #13
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
Thanks to all that posted responses. It appears that most people believe TCP Restoration Shop paint is good quality. I might give it a try on my pickup. If anyone has used Rock Moss Green, would you please post here to let me know if the color was correct. I had problems with two colors of PPG Concept, so I am a little concerned about paint from suppliers being the right color.
Rusty Nelson
Here is TCP rock moss green (acrylic lacquer) shot on top of my 29 tudor. The bottom is vagabond green (also acrylic lacquer):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.28.15 AM.jpg (39.4 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2016-04-02 at 9.28.53 AM.jpg (82.5 KB, 79 views)
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #14
wrndln

pgerhardt,
Thanks for posting the picture of your tudor with Rock Moss Green on it. It looks correct to me. Did you ever hold the Paint and Finishing Guide color chip next to the paint on your car to compare the two? I want to use acrylic urethane instead of acrylic lacquer, but I am pretty sure the two paints would be the same color.
Rusty Nelson
Old 04-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Rusty Nelson
Have you ever wondered how the TCP paint is so much less expensive than even the cheaper lines of PPG or DuPont (Omni or Nason)? When you compare other items that TCP sells, their pricing is inline with what other vendor are charging but the Restoration Shop paint pricing is more inline with Tractor Supply, Farm Fleet, et al. Is it really worth being that frugal? Only you can give the right answer to that question.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:34 AM   #16
pgerhardt

Quote:
pgerhardt,
Thanks for posting the picture of your tudor with Rock Moss Green on it. It looks correct to me. Did you ever hold the Paint and Finishing Guide color chip next to the paint on your car to compare the two? I want to use acrylic urethane instead of acrylic lacquer, but I am pretty sure the two paints would be the same color.
Rusty Nelson
Yes, and I think the color match is good - well within the variation you will get just from different lighting conditions.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Have you ever wondered how the TCP paint is so much less expensive than even the cheaper lines of PPG or DuPont (Omni or Nason)? When you compare other items that TCP sells, their pricing is inline with what other vendor are charging but the Restoration Shop paint pricing is more inline with Tractor Supply, Farm Fleet, et al. Is it really worth being that frugal? Only you can give the right answer to that question.
Or you could flip that argument on its head, and wonder why some brands of paint are SO MUCH more expensive. (Maybe because the cost is often passed on through the body shops and insurance companies to consumers who know no better.) I would think that paint engineered for Tractor/farm fleet use would need to stand up to the most harsh out door conditions, and be more expensive. The fact is that most our model A's are pampered pets, and will almost never see harsh conditions. I know my F-150 lives outside so my model A doesn't have to!
Old 04-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #18
Gary Karr

I prefer to stay with PPG Concept. Their quality is unmatched.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #19
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I prefer to stay with PPG Concept. Their quality is unmatched.
HANDS DOWN.. I just spent $535.00 a gallon with activator for Andalusite Blue and worth every penny.
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Or you could flip that argument on its head, and wonder why some brands of paint are SO MUCH more expensive. (Maybe because the cost is often passed on through the body shops and insurance companies to consumers who know no better.) I would think that paint engineered for Tractor/farm fleet use would need to stand up to the most harsh out door conditions, and be more expensive. The fact is that most our model A's are pampered pets, and will almost never see harsh conditions. I know my F-150 lives outside so my model A doesn't have to!
I believe your logic may have backfired on you. PPG's Concept is rarely ever used in the collision industry simply because it is a single-stage material whereas the overwhelming majority of paint used in the collision field is BC/CC. Second, in the collision world, it is the insurance company's who have effectively caused the paint manufacturers to now produce a cheaper quality of paint (Omni, Nason, Limco, etc.) ...because as you stated, most of the consumers do not know the difference. Third, if you have ever looked at cheap implement paint after it has been sprayed for a year or so, there are two distinct characteristics, -the pigments are always cloudy, and the sheen has always died down. The bottom line is just this, there are different quality levels of reproduction parts for our Model-A, and there are different quality levels of paints. For some hobbyists, they cannot tell the difference between a quality reproduction part and an inferior repro part. Others, can easily spot the differences.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote