Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2022, 09:09 AM   #1
the human wrench

Default '52 F-1 Engine Swap

I am getting ready to install a 292 from a '56 Fairlane in my '52 F-1. I have procured the truck front cover, a Hurst style front engine mount from Millworks, a Y-block to Ford 3 speed adapter and a Y-block truck rear sump oil pan & oil pickup tube and screen. Except for exhaust isn't that the major things I need ? I did some measuring and have convinced myself that Mummert's ram horn manifolds may work. Throttle linkage and the radiator will be minor problems. Am I missing anything?
Old 01-21-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: '52 F-1 Engine Swap

You'll be missing the flathead for sure. Are you sure the engine is a 292. The 272 was still being used in the base Ford models in 56. The 292 was used in the higher end cars like the T-bird and Mercury cars for 1956 but was available for higher end Ford passenger cars as well.

I have nothing against the y-blocks but the F1s lose part of what makes them special when the flathead V8 is replaced. Even the 215 6-cylinder was a good little engine in it's original form.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:24 PM   #3
the human wrench

I pulled it from my '56 Fairlane to put in a 312. It was a factory 4 barrel car and I just assumed it was a 292. I've had numerous flatheads in my life and I like them but I plan on using this old truck like a truck and maybe pulling a trailer and the flathead that came out of it was worn slam out so I'll gain a little HP with the Y-block. (and I'm not doing anything that can't be undone if a flathead needs to go back in)
Old 01-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Is the truck converted to 12 volts? Does it have an original working water temperature gauge?
Are there two sensors on the flathead engine connected to the Temp gauge?

One of the Temp sensors from the flathead will need to swap onto the engine from the Fairlane because it electrically matches the gauge in the truck. The '56 engine only has a threaded insert for one sensor, drivers side head near the rear.
The existing '56 Temp sensor in the Fairlane engine will not play well with the original Temp gauge in the '52 truck.
Unless it's really broken do save the '56 Temp sensor, they are a one-year-only part, hard to find and pricey if you need to replace it.

If I'm reading the attached diagram correctly, the sensor from the right side of the flathead would be the one to use on the '56 engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Temp Gauge Schematic.jpg (42.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg water temp sensor.jpg (89.7 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 01-21-2022 at 08:15 PM. Reason: add photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:32 PM   #5
darrell

all 56 fairlanes were 292 unless a 312 was ordered.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:37 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Where the water gets muddy is after all these years a lot of things could have been replaced for one reason or another. A 4V carb set up would have been a 292 in 1956 but may not have been in 1955. It's getting harder to find Y-blocks in good condition.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:25 AM   #7
ponymare

I put a 272 in a 47 1/2 ton and used ram horn manifolds fit just fine, steering shaft is close though, oil filter is also close, but your 52 I think is a wider frame, I also got a radiator made to fit the 47 support, but only had one top and one bottom hose nipple.
ponymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:26 AM   #8
the human wrench

I guess a little more info is needed here. This was a "barn find" truck. It's been around Marshfield, Missouri all it's life. It appears it was well used but not abused. I have already installed the front spring bushings, had the king pins replaced, I had the steering box rebuilt, and I am currently working on the rear spring bushings while I have been gathering parts for the engine swap. I have a 9" rear end from a '71 F-100 that has 3.70:1 gears and I have installed new brakes on it. (the front axle will get a disc brake conversion) The wiring was too bad to use so it will all be replaced. I have ordered new glass and all the rubber seals, along with door seals, window runs etc. The previous owner had installed a really cool and probably rare Lincoln steering wheel and Hudson Hornet tail lights. The steering wheel is junk from setting so long and I have a new original '52 wheel. Other modifications were strictly farm related. I found what was left of a 1954 Marshfield newspaper in the behind the seat tool box, and a pop bottle in each cab corner one Coke and one RC Cola, along with the usual rusty tools, fishing lures, nuts and bolts. So, while I am going to restore the mechanics and the interior the rest of the truck will remain as found. Thanks for the information and help so far. I feel that if I totally restore this truck it will be just like every other restored truck, I'd like to retain it's character and improve it's mechanics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 51-1.jpeg (45.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpeg 52-2.jpeg (32.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg 52-3.jpeg (79.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 52-4.jpg (52.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpeg 52-5.jpeg (37.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 52-6.jpg (42.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 52-7.jpg (44.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by the human wrench; 01-22-2022 at 09:27 AM. Reason: misspelled word
the human wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
5851a

I like your idea, nice truck. Steering wheel and radio looks to be about a 56 Lincoln.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:08 AM   #10
darrell

nice project.i always wanted to put a y in a flathead car or truck but never had the chance.i put a 292 in a 78 truck.drop in.i put a 272 in a 70 ltd in 1980.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #11
Hot Rod Reverend

Looks great! I am interested to hear back from you concerning the Millworks adapter kit for the truck. There is a 40 Ford out here that is a basket case that I had my on...
Old 01-23-2022, 03:40 PM   #12
Late model

Looks like a great candidate for a "mechanical" restoration. Solid body, nice patina, and a Y block to make freeway driving easier.
IMO you are doing the right thing.
Take a look at the bottom of the coke bottle. The older ones often had the location of the bottler and when it was bottled.

Don
Late model is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:12 PM   #13
the human wrench

The Coke was bottled in Marshfield, Missouri and the date on the side was 54 as was the date on the RC.