Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2021, 08:00 AM   #1
28fordor

Default 7 tooth steering problem

Hello,

I have just replaced the steering box in my (RHD) 1928 Tudor here in Oz. There seems to be problem with connecting the drag link to the pitman arm. Having searched the Forum to no avail I posting the information below in the hope that someone can help out. Tests and observations made are shown below and I hope that the information below may help to provide a clear picture of the issue.

Problem with Front End – “Thea” – 1928 RHD Canadian Tudor in Oz

Situation: The RHD steering box used to be non Model A (2 tooth, probably 32 Ford) and had excessive play in the steering wheel. It was replaced with a 7 tooth steering box rebuilt with all new parts by a club member who has done this successfully for other members.

Observation 1 – The wheels turned much less on hard right lock than on hard left lock and on neither lock did the brake backing plate hit the stop nut– although much closer to touching on
left lock than right.

Observation 2 – the tie rod was bent – possibly during transport back from Adelaide after broken rear axle. On removing the tie rod, the backing plate touched the stop on left lock, but still not on right lock.

Observation 3 – after disconnecting the drag link from the pitman arm, the right backing plate hit the stop nut.
Checks done:
• The pitman arm movement appears to be similar to a spare steering box I have.
• The drag link is 24 7/8” long which seems to be correct according to information I have.
• The pitman arm and right hand steering arm appear similar to spare ones of these I have.
• The pitman arm is joined to the sector shaft correctly with the bolt through the groove.
• The pitman arm ball cranks toward the front of the car - so if it is LH drive (which I don’t think it is) then using it on RH drive would make things worse.
• It makes no difference where the steering is when the pitman arm is attached. The pitman arm is in the same position when steering is moved to full lock no matter where it is when attached to the sector shaft.
On full right lock the disconnected end of the drag link is 1” from the hole in the pitman arm. See photo.
I am very happy to provide any further measurements or photos that will assist.

Thank you in advance.

Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering Drag Link.jpg (62.0 KB, 46 views)
28fordor is offline   Reply With Quote