Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2016, 04:57 PM   #21
don3527

Default Re: Fuel shut off valve

The new gas valve you have is the American made gas valve that we manufacture. The old valve you have appears to be one of the brass plated die cast import valves that were very poor quality. I would suggest taking a 1/4" pipe thread tap and cleaning the female threads in the bottom of your fuel tank. Thread in just enough to clean the threads, don't run in all the way. I'm sure this will correct your problem. Don Snyder
don3527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:37 PM   #22
DougVieyra

Following through on 'Don3527' above, if the earlier valve was of cheap/foreign manufacture it may have been 'off' a bit on the threads; and the installer 'forced' the fit. That process may have allowed the valve to work, but in the process of forcing it into the female orifice the original female threads were damaged.

If that is the case, it may be that the treads on your new valve are correct, but that the threads in your gas tank have been damaged. In such a case the retaining threads of the female orifice may need 'cleaning' back to specs, to mate properly with the threads of the new valve.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:49 PM   #23
DougVieyra

3.6rs - There used to be an "Ancient Ford Club of Belgium". Active members at the time I was involved with them (1980's), I visited with and stayed with Paul Verstappen (executive at the Ford Plant), and Pierre Scholart and some others whose names I have forgotten. Both were active owners, restorers, drivers of the Model A. Does the 'Ancient Ford Club of Belgium' still exist? Do you happen to know either of them? If so they could be of immense help to you in both the work on your Model A, as well as a solid social base.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:24 PM   #24
31a

I have 2 of the valves in question, they were purchased at a Model A estate sale and they will not fit the tank or the gas line, they were in a plastic bag and I assumed they were model a without checking closely. Do not know where they came from. Bob
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 12:15 AM   #25
ALJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Bert's has a good valve for $34. They will charge you only their actual cost for shipping, no mark up on that cost. I am not affiliated with Bert's, I am just trying to give good advice.
I just bought the $34 valve from Bert's. It fits just right and no leaks. The fitting that goes into the tank is a pipe thread.
ALJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:15 AM   #26
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougVieyra View Post
3.6rs - There used to be an "Ancient Ford Club of Belgium". Active members at the time I was involved with them (1980's), I visited with and stayed with Paul Verstappen (executive at the Ford Plant), and Pierre Scholart and some others whose names I have forgotten. Both were active owners, restorers, drivers of the Model A. Does the 'Ancient Ford Club of Belgium' still exist? Do you happen to know either of them? If so they could be of immense help to you in both the work on your Model A, as well as a solid social base.
The club still exist but I'm not a member
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 01:46 AM   #27
DougVieyra

When announcing the closure of the Genk Ford Plant, the "FlandersNews.BE" wrote that the "Ford first arrived in Belgium in the 1930s with cars first being assembled at a plant in the port of Antwerp."

So I will have to 'dig' a bit further to reconcile my comment about no Model A's being built in Belgium. Where is Brad-in-Germany when we need him? Forever4, perhaps you can help with some sources and details to help us better understand about the production of Model A's in Antwerp. I am anxious to fill in the gap in my knowledge, and I am hoping you can do that.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:24 AM   #28
DougVieyra

Thank you Vince for 'jogging' my memory about the Antwerp, Belgium plant. I had forgotten about the Antwerp plant. As Vince reminds us, the Antwerp plant had been assembling cars sent from Detroit, since 1923. The Assembly Plant was approved for the Go Ahead, in 1922. So Belgian Ford production began with the Ford Model T, and continue through the Model A years.

So, 3.6rs - your Model A might very well been built in Belgium !
Old 11-23-2016, 03:31 AM   #29
3.6rs

Thanks to all.
A forum is always good to learn something.

And btw the fuel valve is installed.
I went into the thread of the tank with a "tap" a few times(don't know the correct word in English), and screwed in the fuel valve (with teflon).
No leaks.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote