Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2022, 05:04 PM   #1
jg61hawk

Default Modern "New" Head Gasket...Opinion Please

So I posted previously about getting the head off... and the studs... https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312768

The old guy bought the "new" gasket, no sealer required, thicker I think, and pre-made with its own silicone. We used it...it appears great. The directions said torque and run then let it sit overnight and retorque...which is slightly different than the normal instructions of torque, run, torque, sit overnight torque. In other words I torqued to 50 ran it 20 minutes and shut it off. It is sitting overnight and in the morning COLD, I'll torque again. Just an FYI..I did torque in all the slow increments and got to 50.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks for all the help in the past...
Jim
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #2
jg61hawk

Default Re: Modern "New" Head Gasket...Opinion Please

On another note...I thought we had real problem...go to start the car and we hear a loud clicking/hitting sound. My first thought is the pistons are hitting something. Turns out the hose clamp screw was facing down and the fan was just nicking it. After that it started right up and stalled...I left the gas off. I guess the fan thing made me a little nervous...anyway gas on, hose clamp moved...so far so good.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:41 PM   #3
Jim/GA

Glad it is running so smoothly.

What is the brand name and number of this "new" head gasket that you are asking about?

A supplier with a part number?

PS - I am headed to Highland Park NJ next week, if you'd like an experienced pair of hands to help you with anything.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 07:01 PM   #4
jg61hawk

Jim, Thanks so much for the kind offer...Hopefully it stays running! here's the gasket...Something new for 1929!
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...d=978652&cat=0
Old 05-04-2022, 07:03 PM   #5
chrs1961815

Just an FYI, that has been around for a few years. I haven't heard much if anything good about them.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:30 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Just an FYI, that has been around for a few years. I haven't heard much if anything good about them.
I bought one a few years ago and will never buy another. I followed the instructions to the letter but it was a failure. I'm sorry the OP got sucked into buying one.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:00 PM   #7
Jim/GA

Yes, now that I see which gasket is being referred to, I have to agree with the others. Because of its design, the block and the head surfaces must be perfectly flat everywhere in order to get a good enduring seal. There is no gasket material to squish to make up any slight differences.

I'm glad it's sealing for you now, but I recommend you have a new gasket on hand so that you can swap it out when this one fails. Recommending head gaskets is like talking about motor oil. I like the BEST GraphTite gasket.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 08:41 PM   #8
nkaminar

I have not had very good luck with the gasket with the red sealant on it, where no additional sealant is needed, as described above. My best luck so far is the Best brand gasket (https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...htm?pid=979899) with the copper KW gasket spray (https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...8653&cat=41689). I also do the warm up cool down, retorque, 50 miles, retorque, another 50 miles, retorque. The retorque after every 6 months. Always with cold engine. I have the 5.5 Snyders head and my head surface is not perfect. I torque to 55 foot-pounds in 10 foot-pound increments.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 09:33 PM   #9
1crosscut

Jim torque to 55lbs and torque often until it settles in and stays at 55lbs. Torqueing only a couple three times sets you up for a head gasket failure.

You can over torque (going over 55lbs) but you can not torque too many times.
Keep at it until it settles in and stays at 55lbs.
Old 05-04-2022, 11:21 PM   #10
w.michael

Please double-check your fan. When my fan began hitting the hose clamp, it was because the fan was cracked, and it soon broke. I assume yours is hitting because you just re-installed it after the head gasket job, and turned the clamp from where it was before, but please check for safetly.

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:40 AM   #11
Bruce of MN

I have a spare silicone gasket that is available as a gift.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:29 AM   #12
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Jim torque to 55lbs and torque often until it settles in and stays at 55lbs. Torqueing only a couple three times sets you up for a head gasket failure.

You can over torque (going over 55lbs) but you can not torque too many times.
Keep at it until it settles in and stays at 55lbs.
I agree with Crosscut. I have used them often in the past. Those that re-torque many times have good success with this gasket. Another important step is to use clear water until you have checked and torqued the head 3-4 times. If antifreeze leaks out and coats the silicone, it will never seal. The silicone needs to bond to the metal to provide a proper seal.

Using clear water and torquing often, I did have one last over 30,000 miles in the '29 Phaeton I use for touring. Running a 5.9 Brumfield head and in the slow lane of the freeway for many of those miles.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:17 AM   #13
CT Jack

I replaced my head gasket with a Fel-Pro 7013C copper gasket which I found on Amazon for $40. My personal technical belief is that silicone is not a good material for use in a high compression high temperature application. Over time it can creep and vaporize. JG61Hawk, the torqueing sequence you received with your new head gasket is correct. Torque cold in the proper sequence then run the engine to operating temperature and shut it down. Let it get completely cold and repeat the tightening sequence. Do this several times as a way of making sure the head is uniformly compressed on the gasket and the block.
My preference for gasket material is copper. Once it is completely compressed it remains very stable.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #14
Ruth

What Brand is this "new" head gasket? I am with Jim/GA. I like the BEST GraphTite® gasket.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:39 PM   #15
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
Jim, Thanks so much for the kind offer...Hopefully it stays running! here's the gasket...Something new for 1929!
https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/p...d=978652&cat=0
The gasket you link to I have used several times, all have worked great...no problems
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:10 PM   #16
jg61hawk

Thanks for the replies... I torqued it in the morning...then the first drive. We went about 30 miles...no problems. We are running just water for now. I too believe in rechecking the head very often. On my car I just check it once a month in the summer...can't hurt...takes about ten minutes. The car I was working on is owned by an 86 year guy. He's gone 600 miles in 4 years. I'm thinking we're going to be just fine. I did check the fan blade very cautiously...it looks ok. Thanks for heads up. (Hey there's a pun here)!
Old 05-05-2022, 03:26 PM   #17
Ed in Maine

It is great see all the suggestions to torque often. If you really want to go nuts, reduce the water level to below the head gasket just in case there is some seepage over night before the next retorque. Put a note on the steering wheel, "Low water level"!

I might add that re-torquing is also a good practice for that Model A you just purchased. Two years ago I purchased a restored 1931 Victoria and proceeded to take it on club tours without checking the head nut torque values. Sure enough my crankcase looked like a chocolate soup after 200 miles. Now I check engine torque at the beginning of each touring season. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 06:06 PM   #18
Flathead

You have to follow the instructions to the letter!! Clean, dry surfaces. Flat head and flat block, NO gasket cement of any kind!! It goes on clean and dry, there is a heat activated sealer already on the gasket that will glue it in place from engine heat. Retorque early and often, it will settle in and stay tight after a few re-torques.
I have no seepage and no problems, even with a 5.5 head.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:55 AM   #19
katy

FWIW, when "re-torquing" a cylinder head, I like to back the nuts off 1/4 turn or so before re-tightening them.

Last edited by katy; 05-06-2022 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Correction
katy is offline   Reply With Quote