Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
mkmskm

Default Clutch release fork question

I'm rebuilding a clutch housing for a "new" car and I have two of the older style forks that used the woodruff key but my car doesn't have the multi disc clutch and uses the shaft with the 5/16" holes. I have a new fork and it doesn't fit on the clutch release shaft, its 0.004" too small, plus it doesn't look much like the original. Could I just drill out the 3/16" hole on the original fork to 5/16" and use it, even though its wouldn't have the key?
mkmskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Clutch release fork question

Hi mk,

Not being able to see the conditions of your parts, & with the limited details you reported, your above question could lead to more Forum questions with lots of wild guesses as far as how to provide a correct, "rigged" solid functional solution.

Once everything is re-assembled as something not normally "rigged" for the first time, if something does not work, in looking back, it would be reviewed as something less than smart after having to tear down same & start all over.

In my opinion, to save time & effort & hours of typing & guessing, it appears you have a situation that could best be resolved by calling somebody like Bert's in Colorado, (1-800-321-1931) who has good used parts such as forks, who could advise the best route, & you could just do it correctly & once.

Just me; but, cut & wrapped farm fence wire makes good piston rings only for a day or two.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Dan Partain

I agree with H.L., call Bert's and get the correct parts. I recently went through some bell housings I have to make up a good one. I trashed the fork with the woodruff key, it was loose on the shaft from the key being worn and a new key couldn't fix that, also the pin was partially sheared. The old style pin is much smaller diameter than the one on the updated assy.

I took a photo of the different forks, you can read about the changes in the forks in the Service Bulletins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ClutchArms.jpg (234.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg ClutchArms02.jpg (71.9 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Dan Partain; 09-25-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
larrys40

Please review the service bulletins June 29 pg 351. It covers the conversion and replacement of the old "key" style shaft. my suggestion would be to convert to the new style shaft. I believe You can use the old arm by drilling out the hole if you wish to 3/16th but you'll have to use the new style fork/pin. The parts are available... so it isn't that big of a deal.

Once you review the service bulletins I think you will understand better.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #5
mkmskm

Thanks, I will do so. I actually have an original set from a dealer in Michigan. The thing that threw me from the newer style is that the arms are longer and the hole seems to be in a different location relative to the arm.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
mkmskm

This is the style that I just purchased. Compared to the two picture above the hole position is different so that the arms are further back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B7515_pJPG.JPG (17.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Do you have a new correct shaft for this fork?
Now is also the time to replace the shaft bushings if they need to be replaced.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #8
mkmskm

Yes, I have new bushings pressed in and reamed to fit the new shaft that is the later style
Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Sounds like you have it under control.

Not knowing what type of pressure plate, (original, V-8, or modern), always good idea to verify engagement immediately after initial assembly.

If installed, some modern pressure plates require additional metal to be welded to contact surfaces of forks to provide engagement.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmskm View Post
This is the style that I just purchased. Compared to the two picture above the hole position is different so that the arms are further back.
Something looks strange about this fork you pictured. It almost looks like the fork for the multiplate clutch, but it lacks the keyway.

Do you have the fork facing the right way?

I haven't heard of any forks or shafts being drilled wrong.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 09-26-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Greg out west

Question Re: Clutch release fork question

Hi MK

my car (30) had some 28 part's on it way back...It had a set-up like you describe..When the keyway shalf came on the market a few year's ago..I ordered one & it work's fine...I like the Keyed shalf as it seem's stronger to me

I think Ford used the keyed shalf even after the change over to the single plate clutch...Then save a few cent's by going to the bigger pin ?

Greg out "West"
Greg out west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

To aswer your original question, I wouldn't drill out a keyway fork to make it fit a non-keyway shaft. I would buy a good original fork from Bert's in Denver. 800-321-1931.

I assume the fork you pictured is a repro part as it doesn't look like the forks Dan Pictured. The side that pushes on the collar should be polished smooth and curved to rock nicely on the collar flats. The fork you have pictured looks flat on the side I can't see.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Tom Endy

"Please review the service bulletins June 29 pg 351. It covers the conversion and replacement of the old "key" style shaft. my suggestion would be to convert to the new style shaft. I believe You can use the old arm by drilling out the hole if you wish to 3/16th but you'll have to use the new style fork/pin. The parts are available... so it isn't that big of a deal."

I have always suspected that this Ford service bulletin was released on a day when Henry wasn't there. I think whoever wrote it got the part numbers reversed. It states you can drill out the arm, but not the fork because there is not enough material there. There is plenty of material on the fork, but hardly any on the arm. If you drill the arm hole out the hole will be right at the edge of the arm and an invitation to cracking and clutch release failure.

If someone wants to use the early arm and fork, Bratton's sells a replacement shaft with the woodruff key slots machined in it. However, it is much cheaper to buy the later shaft and find the later arm and fork, they are around at swap meets and are not expensive.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
H. L. Chauvin

Again, FWIW: 1-800--321-1931 -- Either Phil or Steve at Bert's can quickly advise & totally resolve your concerns after describing what you have.

In reply #2 above, I actually knew the poor soul who tried the fence wire for rings.

After calling Bert's, just smile, & ride off into the sunset like Gene & Roy.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #15
mkmskm

The part that I pictured is what Snyders sells as A7515