Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2023, 05:24 AM   #1
goldeneagle

Default Reproduction fans

Being fairly new to A’s I tried to confirm the fan on my car had been replaced and it appeared to be, but last night I found out it was original when it broken in half and took out the hose neck of my radiator. Amazingly it didn’t cause any other damage. After searching for hours it appears the cast aluminum two blade fans are out of stock everywhere. Does anyone have one they are willing to part with? Thoughts on going with a four blade? Any help is much appreciated!
goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 05:30 AM   #2
goldeneagle

Default Re: Reproduction fans

Here are some pictures.

Last edited by goldeneagle; 07-20-2023 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Pictures not appearing
Old 07-20-2023, 06:07 AM   #3
Jim/GA

Sorry to hear of your bad luck with the original fan.

I was recently told by Snyder's that they expected new aluminum fans to be in stock by the end of this month, so hang in there...
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 06:28 AM   #4
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneagle View Post
Being fairly new to A’s I tried to confirm the fan on my car had been replaced and it appeared to be, but last night I found out it was original when it broken in half and took out the hose neck of my radiator. Amazingly it didn’t cause any other damage. After searching for hours it appears the cast aluminum two blade fans are out of stock everywhere. Does anyone have one they are willing to part with? Thoughts on going with a four blade? Any help is much appreciated!
Lucky to have a relatively inexpensive repair and no harm to anyone!
Yesterday afternoon I found an Aluminum fan in my stash of steel fans. Unfortunately it's already on it's way today to a person in need. I wish I had more to share!
Apparently the new aluminum fans will be available in August according to Bert's so not much of a wait. I know any wait seems too much during the driving season.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:24 AM   #5
J Franklin

Any driving around 30 MPH or above overrides the need for a fan.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:43 AM   #6
rotorwrench

What are the local temperatures in Oregon. It's been over 100 degrees down here for quite a while. An early morning drive maybe unless you live in Arizona or the desert parts of California.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:09 AM   #7
J Franklin

We have had temps in the 80s-90s here where I live. I was just saying the air through the radiator at 30 MPH is the same or more than with a fan at lower speeds. I have driven over 50 miles without a fan or water pump due to a lost belt and did not over heat. Of course I wasnt in stopped or backed up traffic.

Last edited by J Franklin; 07-20-2023 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added info
Old 07-20-2023, 01:58 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

If you are lucky enough to only take out the radiator hose neck I hope you went out and bought a lottery ticket.

When the aluminum fans were first introduced there were a lot of problems with them. If someone installed a good one it is probably still on the car, if it was a bad one it is hanging in the garage. Be careful, the one someone is willing to part with is probabaly the one hanging in the garage.

I have always run the '33-'34 four cylinder fans (original Ford, not the reproductions) and from a functional standpoint they are very good. I have heard some people say they have problems but it is probably from people using them turn the engine while timing.

You should put your general location in your profile.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 03:31 PM   #9
stickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
We have had temps in the 80s-90s here where I live. I was just saying the air through the radiator at 30 MPH is the same or more than with a fan at lower speeds. I have driven over 50 miles without a fan or water pump due to a lost belt and did not over heat. Of course I wasnt in stopped or backed up traffic.
J Franklin,
Do you think the fan could have been "free wheeling" from the air rushing through the radiator and thus rotating the water pump somewhat? I know the older Model T relied on a circulation system based on hot water rising (thermosyphoning), but I don't know how effective it was.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 05:02 PM   #10
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
J Franklin,
Do you think the fan could have been "free wheeling" from the air rushing through the radiator and thus rotating the water pump somewhat?
Very possible. I keep it lubed. Thermosyphen works, I have a T also.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:42 PM   #11
Synchro909

Thermosyphon works on a Model A too. A few years ago, our National Rally was in Darwin, right up in the hot north of the country. A fellow from Brisbane, 3,500 KM (2,200 miles) away commented that his car had been running a bit warmer than usual on the way up. Inspection revealed that the "heavy duty" American water pump had broken the shaft where it had been joined. The fan turned but not the pump
He had done all of those miles with only thermosyphon circulation. At the speeds we travel on open, flat country roads, the fan did nothing. My conclusion is that if he took the fan off, he could drive anywhere so long as it wasn't in choked up city driving.
Old 07-20-2023, 09:37 PM   #12
stickshift

Out of curiosity...would this still work with a thermostat?
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 10:28 PM   #13
CWPASADENA

Yes, but may be not quite as well as without. The thermostat could cause a restriction in the upper hose.

My opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:40 PM   #14
goldeneagle

Found a 2 blade aluminum
Old 07-25-2023, 09:41 PM   #15
goldeneagle

Back cruising
Old 07-26-2023, 04:26 AM   #16
Bick in New Zealand

Our club President, lost one in the last few days, luckily very close to home. It went through the top of his hood. He went for a look along the road, and came across a guy walking his dog, who had seen it happen. He said the broken piece went straight up in the air at least 50 feet, and they located the piece shortly after. There is a guy here in New Zealand who is about to do a second run of carbon fibre fan blades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 67204920_10219034639792845_4584575811192881152_n.jpg (26.6 KB, 52 views)

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:13 AM   #17
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bick in New Zealand View Post
Our club President, lost one in the last few days, luckily very close to home. It went through the top of his hood. He went for a look along the road, and came across a guy walking his dog, who had seen it happen. He said the broken piece went straight up in the air at least 50 feet, and they located the piece shortly after. There is a guy here in New Zealand who is about to do a second run of carbon fibre fan blades.
My limited carbon fiber experience started while racing my development class Iceboat in the USA. During a few mark rounding's I was a target for boats that thought they had space. My boat was wood and Unidirectional Carbon worked well to reassemble the puzzle pieces in time for the next regatta.

I'm interested to know more about the carbon fiber fan. It looks very well made and would be great if we could see more photos. Is the pully and hub carbon or is it an original or new metal one bonded to the blades? When was the first run made and how many were made? I assume it is working well as a second is about to be produced. Is there any opportunity to acquire one of these?

Good to see progress!
Old 07-26-2023, 10:19 PM   #18
Bick in New Zealand

I understand that one from the first run has done 20,000Km with no problems. I will message you with his email, that way you are getting it from the 'horse's mouth'

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 06:08 AM   #19
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bick in New Zealand View Post
I understand that one from the first run has done 20,000Km with no problems. I will message you with his email, that way you are getting it from the 'horse's mouth'
Thanks Bick, I appreciate your help. Do you think the man behind this project would be willing to post the story of his journey with the carbon fiber fan project? According to all the interest here on the Barn I'm not the only one that would love to hear about it! Cheers Bob! (Bick,do you say Cheers in New Zealand?)