Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
modela-carb

Default Shipping Costs Rant

I've been irritated for a long time at the cost of shipping the carburetors that I sell & rebuild. I've been using USPS medium flat rate boxes for a long time (current cost $11.35 any weight, anywhere in the USA). The weight of a carburetor is between 4-5 lbs which makes it more expensive to ship Parcel Post to anywhere outside a few hundred miles of home. UPS & FedX are even more.
I do carbs more as a hobby than a business (the money goes for vacations with the lovely Rose) and to stay involved with the Model A community. I no longer sell on EBay because their fees (& Paypal's) forced my prices higher than I thought was reasonable. It's to the point that I get embarrased telling a guy that it will cost him $22.70 to send his carb for rebuilding & get it back.

There seems to be no help for this except some club cooperation. A medium flat rate box will hold three carbs which means that if 3 guys get together they can save over $45 just on shipping.

This is NOT an advertisement for business, just a burr in my saddle that finally got the better of me.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Bob-A

Smile Re: Shipping Costs Rant

Jim,

I know where your coming from!

On a slightly different note: Recently one of the big Model-A parts houses
jacked up my shipping cost higher then what they originally said it would be. I got really hot and sent off a not-so-nice email to them. Later I felt bad about my wording and regretted what I said. They sent a return email, but I have yet to read it.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
CarlG

Default Re: Shipping Costs Rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
...Recently one of the big Model-A parts houses
jacked up my shipping cost higher then what they originally said it would be...
When that happened to me, response was "We'll make it up to you on your next order." -- which, by the way, has never happened.

Living in Alaska, we get use to the freight companies -- especially FedEx & UPS ripping us off like crazy -- despite the fact that both companies have one of their largest freight hubs here in Anchorage!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
JoeWay

Well...you can save 50 cents on a Medium Flat-Rate Box by signing up for a USPS account and printing your label at home.

Better yet, sign up for the account. Instead of checking "I am shipping Flat Rate" put in a weight for your box. The next screen will show you options that include Regional Rate boxes. For instance, the Regional Rate A box is just a bit smaller than a Medium Flat Rate box, and would be just right for one or two carbs. Regional Rate varies according to how far you send the box. The range I recall is from just over $5 to $9.65, which seems to be the maximum price. Maximum weight for the A rate box is 15 lbs.

You have to order the Regional Rate boxes online though your account, I think, but they are free. I use them regularly and save quite a bit.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Bill in NJ

Not sure but I think they would fit in a small USPS PRIORITY MAIL box for like $ 5.00. They also give you the boxes for free. Maybe you should check it out.
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in NJ View Post
Not sure but I think they would fit in a small USPS PRIORITY MAIL box for like $ 5.00. They also give you the boxes for free. Maybe you should check it out.
Bill, the small Flat Rate Box is about the right size for a carb rebuild kit--not nearly big enough for a complete carb.

Joe
Old 10-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
modela-carb

Thanks Joe, I'll check it out
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by modela-carb View Post
Thanks Joe, I'll check it out
I should have mentioned that Regional Rate is a Priority Mail Service, with the same 2-3 day delivery time.

Joe
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Bill in NJ

Looks like I made a mistake. I have a free priority mail box that is 7" X 7" X 6 1/2" high. From zip code 37643 to zip code 08065 paid on line would cost $ 9.32. Of course they would pick it up at your house for free ( I think )
Bill in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

[QUOTE=modela-carb;I no longer sell on EBay because their fees (& Paypal's) forced my prices higher than I thought was reasonable. It's to the point that I get embarrased telling a guy that it will cost him $22.70 to send his carb for rebuilding & get it back.

[/QUOTE]

Seems to be a BIG error somewhere, You UPS cost is outrageous., I sent a Carb from Chicago to LA ups ground for 7.95....PLEASE DONT tell my your going to the UPS STORE.. that is your error as they are 2-3x higher than UPS standard prices.
Ebay fees and pay pal and extremely low, I pay 2.2% on pay pal which considering it allows ANYONE to pay for an item and is basically a great system for charging it is tiny. ebay is also a very low price, where can you get 10 MILLION people to see your item (not that you do as we are special hobby) but at those prices, it should be estimated to cost you a total of 7-8% of your sale, including listing and final value, Pretty cheap the way i see it..Talk a look again and re-vist your costs, ESPECIALLY your ups costs...good luck
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
modela-carb

Mark,
I calculated UPS at their on line site using my zip 37643 to Seattle, Wa 98101 and 4 lbs (which is less than actual). The cheapest ground rate is $17.03. Perhaps the differential is because of our homes. I live in the east Tenn hills, whereas you are in a large midewest city with great connections everywhere.

Using the EBay & Paypal fee calculators, the total cost to sell a $150.00 carb is $18.47 ($14.52 Ebay, $4.35 Paypal) and this does not include the cost to insert the auction ad which is at least a dollar...call it $19.50 in all. On top of this, the buyer has to pay shipping. I don't consider this a reasonable cost to pass on to the guys who buy my carburetors, that's why I just do business by word of mouth and the Ford Barn Swap section
Old 10-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
ronn

Mark, ebay runs 9% and paypal 3%-4% if overseas when the gov starts imposing tax, ebay loses half it's business, watch and see. guaranteed!

Went to ship a pair of fiberglass rear fenders this morning to a Barner-USPS only 14. but 55. oversize chg! total 69. Have 1 tucked into the other and plastic wrapped. I find that crazy, but the UPS store only wtd 155.....
greyhound was 50. and I guess the fairest way to go, as long as your item doesn't get lost, which has happened twice to me.
With gas up, business costs go up and everything begins grinding to a halt....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote