Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2016, 03:57 AM   #1
tucky nz

Default Borg Warner Overdrive

I have just fitted a Borg Warner Overdrive to my Coupe. The overdrive engages and works well bu t when cable and solenoid are disengaged the car free wheels. I have checked cable and there is full travel with the cable when engaging and disengaging. I have had the overdrive to a mechanic and overhauled but he could not find anything wrong. I have been advised that some model Borg Warners free wheel and don't allow direct drive when out of overdrive. Can anyone help please.
tucky nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:14 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Borg Warner Overdrive

Check here under Borg Warner There may be a solution in there for you;

http://www.santaanitaas.org/technica...tech-articles/
Old 06-12-2016, 06:02 AM   #3
Wareagle

Check and see if the lever that the cable operates is spring loaded. If not it could be in 180* out. The rod that it actuates has a foot on it inside the housing that holds the slide either to the rear for straight drive or to the front to allow for freewheeling. Just took mine apart because the plunger would not engage and allow it to go into od. Hope this helps.
15 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren
and loving it!!
Wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #4
Tom Endy

If it is free-wheeling it is because the over-run clutch on the output shaft is engaged. A possible cause is that the sheet metal oil shield associated with the blocking mechanism has become deformed and is not allowing the mechanism connected to the pull cable from sliding all the way.

This is a common occurrence with Borg Warner overdrives. The early Motor's Manuals refer to this condition.

There is a photo of the shield in the Borg Warner repair article on the Santa Anita A's web site.

Years ago I had a 29 coupe with a BW. One morning I backed it out of the garage to go to the post office. I engaged the overdrive during the trip, everything worked fine. I took it out of overdrive when I parked it at the post office. When I came out I discovered I could not back up. I rolled the car back in order to get it out of the parking space. On the trip home the overdrive worked fine. However, I still could not back up.

When I pulled the overdrive out of the car and disassembled it I found the oil shield deformed and restricting the mechanism connected to the pull cable. How it got deformed all of a sudden on it's own is a mystery.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:23 AM   #5
tucky nz

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks Tom appreciate the feedback gives me something to look for and hopefully solves the problem.
tucky nz is offline   Reply With Quote