Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
leadpot

Default Gas smell problem solved!

Have had my 29 tudor for 4 years & have always had a problem with smelling gas. Sometimes while driving especially around town & it always after pulling into the garage when parked. The Mrs wasn't happy about it either, would leave the door open for a while until it dissipated. Would get some dripping out of the carb when shutting off hot, shutting off the fuel & let the engine die did not make any difference. Fuel gauge was never wet but was discolored like it has had some leakage it the past. Removed gauge cleaned everything, new gaskets etc, no difference. Just thought this was just the way it is & lived with it.
Was looking at my gas cap the other day, it had a thin rubber gasket inside & the cap seemed to screw all the way down. Replaced the rubber gasket with a new thicker cork gasket and made no difference. Put a second cork gasket in on top the first, tightened down and the smell was gone almost instantly. Now there is no more smell even after pulling into the garage, don't even have to shut off the fuel tank & let the engine run dry. Wow, have been out several times now and what a much more pleasant driving experience. Don't know if the cap is original or not but does appear old as some of the plating is worn thin. Live & learn
leadpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:33 AM   #2
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: Gas smell problem solved!

You should still run the carb dry, or at least shut the gas off. Because one day----- you're going to have a nasty surprise!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:41 AM   #3
monto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
You should still run the carb dry, or at least shut the gas off. Because one day----- you're going to have a nasty surprise!
Ditto. Had same experience with rubber gasket on my '31. Changed to felt gasket; pressurizing continued with gas smell. With no gasket, no smell. Small vent hole probably restricted. Ordered replacement......
Do not allow your tank to pressurize.
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
Redbird

I soaked my gas cap in Evaporust and then blew the two holes out. The cap is vented.
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #5
mshmodela

It seems to be that has been said a few times here, is that the fuel/cowl tank cannot be sealed completely from air --since gravity will be over taken by the air pressure (some would call it a vacuum). Air has to come from the cap... I would think that means all Model A tanks at the top you'd smell some gas vapors.. Unless I'm missing something here which is possible...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by mshmodela; 08-04-2015 at 08:34 AM.
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
Mitch//pa
BANNED

any car with a vented gas cap releases vapors..
maybe we can install an EVAP closed system like a modern car.... which will pressurize the tank and system for leaks...

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 08-04-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote