Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default 32 Pa. LicenPlates now legal on my 32 now

Today I got a set of 1932 Plates legal on my 32 but did cost 81.00 which is not cheap but good for life. I know each state has there law what one can do. When you get a Antique plate for a Antique car or truck good for life. That nice. But expensive. I got the information yesterday off Ford Barn so THANKS
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
RalphM

Default Re: 32 Pa. LicenPlates now legal on my 32 now

We are able to do that here in Alaska, but try finding a 1935 Alaska plate!

Another nice thing they do here now is if a vehicle is 8 years old or older, you can get a permanent registration. No more annual fees as long as you own the vehicle!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #3
deuce_roadster

PA must have changed their law to allow that. When I used to come back there to Hershey, the PA plates were 5 bucks because the state wouldn't let you use them. Great to hear the loosened up! Maybe one of your state legislators has an old car.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #4
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

They change the law in July in Pa. They told me today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01203.jpg (57.7 KB, 103 views)
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #5
TJ

Good old California charges you every year to have year of manufacture plates on your car. You pay the annual fee based on value of the car and then an extra fee to have the YOM plate.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:50 PM   #6
29delivery

Don't think we have that in Illinois,that would be nice though.
29delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
woodiewagon46

TJ, some states have a one time fee, but N.Y. also nails us every year, along with a BS annual inspection. They need to soak us for all they can get to pay for all the N.Y. State freebies.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #8
paul2748

We can't use YOM plates as the official plate, but there is no yearly registration fee.

Our "Historic" registrations only require one plate (back) and we can put anything else on the front so a YOM plate can be used, but is not the "official" plate.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #9
Clem Clement

any word that Jersey has changed their YOM rules yet?
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:38 PM   #10
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
PA must have changed their law to allow that. When I used to come back there to Hershey, the PA plates were 5 bucks because the state wouldn't let you use them. Great to hear the loosened up! Maybe one of your state legislators has an old car.
Mike, Don't know if you're aware or not but in Wa State there is a new bill proposed on collector cars. It is house bill #2373. For all Wa St collector cars previously registered under collector vehicles or restored original plates as a permanent one time fee will now be required to re-register every 5 years, including those who already bought and paid for permanent collector and original plates. To me this is at best disengenous as those, like my Father in good faith followed the law and paid for these with the understanding that was the law. Now, our legislators are attempting to change the law. There is no "Grandfather" clause as written for those who have already purchased permanent plates. You can easily research the language of the proposed bill by researching HB #2373. I voiced my opinion to my Legislator. The language as I recall is new provision #7. I encourage you to read this. It may be too late.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #11
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Mike, Don't know if you're aware or not but in Wa State there is a new bill proposed on collector cars. It is house bill #2373. For all Wa St collector cars previously registered under collector vehicles or restored original plates as a permanent one time fee will now be required to re-register every 5 years, including those who already bought and paid for permanent collector and original plates. To me this is at best disengenous as those, like my Father in good faith followed the law and paid for these with the understanding that was the law. Now, our legislators are attempting to change the law. There is no "Grandfather" clause as written for those who have already purchased permanent plates. You can easily research the language of the proposed bill by researching HB #2373. I voiced my opinion to my Legislator. The language as I recall is new provision #7. I encourage you to read this. It may be too late.
If somebody had the money to take them to court they might win based on the fact the Constitution forbids ex post facto laws.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
Mike51Merc

They changed the law in Pa about 7-8 years ago. I did mine, and many months later they sent me a new plate with the same digits as the YOM plate. They never told me what to do with the new one, so I just put it in the trunk in case the police ever ask too many questions.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #13
sunshine

In MD. You can use YOM. But you have to have your regular tag with you. We also have a sticker system for reg tag renewal , so if your car is 60 I believe you can get a black sticker and there are no more renewals. Sunshine
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #14
Automotive Stud

I'm in NJ where we don't have YOM plates. I requested a vanity plate with the old licence plate number on it and it was approved. I keep the new plate under the seat and use the vintage one on the car. I know it's a grey area for sure, but it's been on there three years now with no issues yet. I know some other Jersey guys who have done the same. I also know a guy who painted his new plate to look old.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #15
Darrell S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Washington has been on a tax raising binge for the last 2 years. Nothing is out of their reach and there is no need because they have more money than they know what to do with. Way to much permanent bureaucracy with to much influence.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #16
5851a

I don't believe Iowa has YOM yet. As soon as they figure out how to make money on it they will. They make you buy new plates every 10 years and have the stickers on all. So if you have any type of personalized plate you have to pay for it over again. That goes for all of them, disabled, veteran, In God we Trust etc. They are learning though. Last plate they came up with is so damn hideous they brought out a black and white plate as personalized. They are popular and several counties were running out of them, only an extra $35. No plates for under $50 a year unless it was registered to you before law changed, then just whatever it was when law changed. I have bought back 2 cars that I used to own one of them was $17 and other $25, now they are both $50. Sorry I'm ranting and getting post side tracked. Happy that some of you can use YOM or get one time registration.

Last edited by 5851a; 02-12-2020 at 11:19 AM.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:48 AM   #17
tubman

I rarely mention the term "Street Rod" with any kind of positive connotation, but the "Minnesota Street Rod Association" got on top of this early on up here, and as a result of their efforts (including lobbying), we have some of the best laws and policies in the country.

Sometimes you have to watch out for yourself.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #18
50fordcoupeman

Oregon has a YOM plate. You find an original and take the number to DMV and if it is not in use it is yours. One time fee of $100. Caveat-you are only "supposed" to drive car for car shows, parade etc but that law is so loose it doesn't really apply.
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #19
woodiewagon46

It would be nice if all states would adopt the YOM policy. My friend was pulled over on his way to Bonneville by a real hard nose cop. The cop refused to accept the fact that he had 1932 plates on his Deuce and it was legal in New York. The cop said "that's about the stupidest thing I ever heard". After about 20 minutes sitting in his car on the side of the road at about 90 degrees the cop got out of his air-conditioned car, walked up to his car and literally threw the registration at him and told him to leave.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:21 PM   #20
JayChicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29delivery View Post
Don't think we have that in Illinois,that would be nice though.
Is allowed in Illinois. No additional cost.

I belong to the Chicago Gearheads club, founded by a group of Chicago Policemen. The applicable statute was just posted in our newsletter:
"...an antique vehicle may display a historical license plate from or representing the model year of the vehicle.... provided that valid and current Illinois antique vehicle plates and registration card issued to such antique vehicle are simultaneously carried within such vehicle and are available for inspection."
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote