Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #121
corvette8n

Default Re: Great northern route 2

Keep the photos coming, I always wanted to drive route 20 coast to coast.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:06 AM   #122
Frank Miller

Ok I'm back on the computer but had trouble posting some pics. I have made it through Yosemite. I tented it on route 1 and Yosemite. Tonight I am staying at the historic Mizpah hotel in Tonopah, NV. I never herd of it either but saw a Model A on the side of the road and met Jim Galli as he was looking for a lost hubcap. He managed to find it and we talked for a bit and then went over to his house to see his other cars. He has a pretty nice little 38 coupe.
My highest elevation has been 9945 as I was exiting Yosemite. I only managed 200 miles today but I wanted to stop and enjoy the scenery. I was going to try for Ely but it was just a bit too late and decided to stop early. Now after looking at a map I'm going to stay a bit more south heading to 395 to 93 going towards Utah.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:36 AM   #123
pooch

Great trip.

Last edited by pooch; 09-23-2017 at 05:08 AM.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:04 PM   #124
Darrell S

Hi Frank, it looks like you left Yosemite via Tioga Pass on the way to 395. That should have been a good test of your brakes and staying in 2nd gear coming down. That is quite a road. Hope all continues to go well.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #125
VeryTangled

Franks Pix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (63.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (77.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (66.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (48.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Capture5.jpg (76.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Capture6.jpg (83.1 KB, 84 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-19-2017 at 04:21 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 PM   #126
Frank Miller

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Made it all the way to Richfield Utah. Out of Tonopah NV I went west on 6 for a bit and then hit 375 to 319 to 56 into Utah. North on 15 and I'm now on interstate 70. I went approximately 190 miles between gas stations. Not stops but stations. There was nothing out there. Some towns listed on the map are remnants of what once was. There were places I could have stood on the yellow line. pissed a quart, gave it an extra shake and no one would have seen me. The weather has been great and my pictures do not do the scenery justice but I try.
375 is know as the extraterrestrial highway and they have an alien diner with an old tow truck that has a flying saucer hooked to it. I was full from breakfast so did not go in. I stopped in Caliente for gas and it took 10 gallons to fill up. Not sure of the gas milage but it is in the 19 range. Mechanically the car is doing what I need it to do. The gauge got to H at the top of the hill but went to less than halfway going down. I did not use any water in 400 miles so I guess I pushed some out on the steep hill in Yosemite. The oil is still in the safe zone after 5000 +. Running the synthetic and driving all day I think I'll be fine. When I get home I'll send it to be analyzed and see what we get. Will be interesting.
I must say traveling by myself has enabled me to meet a lot of interesting people. I wish I could remember them all. Trying to write and drive is damn near impossible but I have the experiences and I guess in the end it's what counts. I'm getting old and need stories about my life to bore/entertain the younger folks. That's how it works, right?
VT thanks for the help with the pics. Sorry guys Facebook let me put up 150 pics in 10 minutes. It's where it is at for volume.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #127
jim galli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Ok I'm back on the computer but had trouble posting some pics. I have made it through Yosemite. I tented it on route 1 and Yosemite. Tonight I am staying at the historic Mizpah hotel in Tonopah, NV. I never herd of it either but saw a Model A on the side of the road and met Jim Galli as he was looking for a lost hubcap. He managed to find it and we talked for a bit and then went over to his house to see his other cars. He has a pretty nice little 38 coupe.
My highest elevation has been 9945 as I was exiting Yosemite. I only managed 200 miles today but I wanted to stop and enjoy the scenery. I was going to try for Ely but it was just a bit too late and decided to stop early. Now after looking at a map I'm going to stay a bit more south heading to 395 to 93 going towards Utah.
Frank, it was great meeting you. A little help from above? I was heading down 95 minding my own business in the '29 woody and ting ting tinggggg goes a hubcap. So I pulled over and backed into a parking space at the Mexican restaurant, and here comes this gorgeous '49 convertible up the road. What a lovely car! Style and comfort.

Just outside of Tonopah on US 6 there's a sign that says "Next Gas 168 Miles" My dad's gone now, but I've got a picture of him with a gas can standing next to that sign with his thumb out.

Frank, here's a pic of my late '31 coupe sitting on the border of Montana and Idaho, a little place called Monida up on the great divide. Has your name on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WMMillerGarageMonida_06Verito7F6ss.jpg (54.9 KB, 64 views)

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Last edited by jim galli; 09-19-2017 at 10:43 PM.
jim galli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #128
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim galli View Post

Just outside of Tonopah on US 6 there's a sign that says "Next Gas 168 Miles" My dad's gone now, but I've got a picture of him with a gas can standing next to that sign with his thumb out.

Its funny you mention that sign. If I remember correctly it is the I-70 and Hwy 6 junction? I was thru there last Monday going from Park City to Arches Park in Utah. I've been enjoying following along the trip
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #129
VeryTangled

Copying some more of Frank's shots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (67.6 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (44.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (58.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (71.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (33.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Capture5.jpg (55.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Capture6.jpg (54.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Capture7.jpg (61.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Capture8.jpg (55.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Capture9.jpg (50.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Capture10.jpg (74.2 KB, 57 views)

Old 09-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #130
VeryTangled

More...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (75.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (50.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (53.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (57.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Capture5.jpg (40.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Capture6.jpg (68.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Capture7.jpg (63.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Capture8.jpg (47.6 KB, 78 views)

Old 09-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #131
Frank Miller

Ok here's a blurb for today.
I am past the mountains just east of Denver. No WiFi so typing on my phone and no pics.
I had a pretty good ride until the Vale pass. The old girl got hot, coughed and wheezed but crested the summit at 10663 feet. I was on the interstate but construction caused traffic to slow at the bottom and I lost momentum behind a tractor trailer. I needed second gear and some rpms to clear a vapor lock. It pushed out quite a bit of water but I managed to get it to cool going downhill. I'm hoping to make it to Lawrence KS tomorrow and meet up with some friends. Also put pics up tomorrow.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #132
Seth Swoboda

What are you going to do when you get home? You'll be bored!
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #133
Frank Miller

Made it to Lawrence Kansas where I met up with some people I met 17 years ago in upstate NY. There would have been more but they had other plans.
The trip out of Colorado started out good with temps in the low 60s and the car running smooth in the 70s. By mid day I would be running in the low 60s as the temps hit 95. While the engine was running hot it did not overheat but did push out a little water.
Driving the interstate has been ok but I no longer am passing through the small towns as I was on the secondary roads. I have seen gas stops on the interstate that are closed down. Also new to me are unattended gas stations. There was one in Colorado but it had other businesses around it and I did not notice until I had filled up and went to go inside. The one in Ks was just a gas station with a small cement block building that was closed up so the rest room was behind it. I guess that is what $15 minimum wage leads to.
So far on this trip I'm over the 6000 mile mark. I'll tally it all up with mileage and driving time as my GPS is tracking those. I had to reset it at one point because it does not go over 100 hours. Right now my driving time is around 130 hours. Today was my 22nd day away. I also lost another hour so I'm now on central time. Plan to meet up with Seth and Alex tomorrow so it will be an easy 300 miles. Hopefully.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #134
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Plan to meet up with Seth and Alex tomorrow so it will be an easy 300 miles.
Home cookin'! Expecting full dishing of info from those guys.

After enough days away from home, just a good shower can make your day!

Loving the new look. Blackwalls are more genuine. This from a guy who has a '36 with wide whites, spyder caps and trim rings!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (33.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (44.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (28.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Capture3.jpg (37.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Capture4.jpg (34.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Capture5.jpg (44.2 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-21-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #135
Seth Swoboda

I'm looking forward to visiting with Frank this evening as he will be staying in my home town tonight. Temps here in Southern Illinois are abnormally high (90's) for September so be careful today Frank.

Frank and I have met several times at EFV8 Club meets. I've also hung out with Jeff (VeryTangled). John Mason (JM35Sedan), Glenn Sanders, Michael Driskell, Ken (OldRedneck), Cecil Polan, Mac and Shelly Van Pelt, Bubba, Charlie (NY) Schwendler and many more fordbarners that are V8 club members. Some of the finest folks I have ever met are V8 club members and Fordbarners also. If you are here on the barn and not a member of the EFV8 Club, join up. Participate and have fun, you'll get to meet guys like Frank Miller and have some great adventures in your V8 Ford. I promise you won't regret it.

See you very soon Frank!
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #136
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
I'm looking forward to visiting with Frank this evening as he will be staying in my home town tonight. Temps here in Southern Illinois are abnormally high (90's) for September so be careful today Frank.

Frank and I have met several times at EFV8 Club meets. I've also hung out with Jeff (VeryTangled). John Mason (JM35Sedan), Glenn Sanders, Michael Driskell, Ken (OldRedneck), Cecil Polan, Mac and Shelly Van Pelt, Bubba, Charlie (NY) Schwendler and many more fordbarners that are V8 club members. Some of the finest folks I have ever met are V8 club members and Fordbarners also. If you are here on the barn and not a member of the EFV8 Club, join up. Participate and have fun, you'll get to meet guys like Frank Miller and have some great adventures in your V8 Ford. I promise you won't regret it.

See you very soon Frank!
Amen to that Seth. Great people in this club and those who don't belong to the club are missing out on a whole new batch of great friends.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #137
asapguy

I'm between Monroe & Snohomish Wash. looking down onto US Hwy 2 as I'm writing this. I'm a mile east & 400 ft. above the Snohomish Valley & US 2 runs through the middle of the valley. There has already been some snow on Hwy 2 at Stevens Pass 50 miles east of us. They keep the pass clear & it's suppose to warm up next week. Drive safely & have a great trip, US 2 isn't one of the safest roads here at the west end.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #138
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Amen to that Seth. Great people in this club and those who don't belong to the club are missing out on a whole new batch of great friends.
Right on Tom. I've met some great friends in the Early Ford V-8 Club and also here on Fordbarn. Many of whom have posted on this thread, and I'm looking forward to meeting up with all of them this coming June in Dearborn, Michigan.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #139
VeryTangled

Latest photo. "My butterfly collection"

Adding breaking news: Photo is Alex's!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (67.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Capture1.jpg (86.9 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-22-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:16 AM   #140
Frank Miller

Glad to report that I'm long past that. It was a nice drive through there. My route home has been more southern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asapguy View Post
I'm between Monroe & Snohomish Wash. looking down onto US Hwy 2 as I'm writing this. I'm a mile east & 400 ft. above the Snohomish Valley & US 2 runs through the middle of the valley. There has already been some snow on Hwy 2 at Stevens Pass 50 miles east of us. They keep the pass clear & it's suppose to warm up next week. Drive safely & have a great trip, US 2 isn't one of the safest roads here at the west end.