Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #21
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Future of Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHRsc View Post
I'm 32 years old...been to Hershey since before I was born (figure that one out!)
I don't have much money to blow most years... but this year I ended up finding a ton of good stuff and came home with money in my pocket!

We took our new recreation of a family race car over and parked it in our spot on display, in hopes of stirring some interest with anyone who may remember such racing. Great responses from everyone who passed by!

I set some parts out to sell but knew what I had was too valuable to likely sell... nothing did.

I came home happy!
Looks like you did good Zach! This was the first year that I didn't really hit the fields. I walked around for about 1/2 a day. I was still able to find some good stuff in that time frame.

Funny, my buddy and I would up trading some our parts to each other. Didn't have to go far and it I know it went to a good home.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #22
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUHRsc View Post
I'm 32 years old...been to Hershey since before I was born (figure that one out!)
I don't have much money to blow most years... but this year I ended up finding a ton of good stuff and came home with money in my pocket!

We took our new recreation of a family race car over and parked it in our spot on display, in hopes of stirring some interest with anyone who may remember such racing. Great responses from everyone who passed by!

I set some parts out to sell but knew what I had was too valuable to likely sell... nothing did.

I came home happy!
Zach, when I saw you in the Red Field you were just buying the red wide 5 wheel. Looks like you picked up a whole lot more after that! I think you got those wheel covers from the same guy we bought some nos rear axles and a '35 bumper from. I bought and sold a few things in four days, but one of the best things I got was a great looking T shirt with the image of a '35 5w coupe on the back!!

PS...The Fall Hershey Meet will live in some form for a l o n g time to come. HERCO and the AACA make far too much money to let that fold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141012_111550(1).jpg (53.6 KB, 26 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-12-2014 at 05:57 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:28 AM   #23
mhsprecher

I remember the planes taking off and landing, too. I also remember that darned calliope that you could hear all over the fields. I DO NOT miss that darned thing!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:04 AM   #24
SUHRsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Zach, .... one of the best things I got was a great looking T shirt with the image of a '35 5w coupe on the back!!
I was trying to be sneaky with that, but worried that someone would swipe it so I had to let you know...

Good to see you, if even for a short time.
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #25
Chuck Kuntz

I worked in the Piper Aircraft Engineering Department for 16 years and used to fly into that airport. One year I had them dump me off in an experimental turboprop. We were on the field for perhaps two minutes. Some local photographer snapped a picture of the airplane and it was published in the local paper. Got our rearend chewed out for that. My Dad was set up in the old Blue Field and I just walked across the highway to his site. I walked for three days this year and saw a ton of T stuff and lots of A fenders as well. Sold enough to pay for the spaces and found a few bargains.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #26
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kuntz View Post
I worked in the Piper Aircraft Engineering Department for 16 years and used to fly into that airport. One year I had them dump me off in an experimental turboprop. We were on the field for perhaps two minutes. Some local photographer snapped a picture of the airplane and it was published in the local paper. Got our rearend chewed out for that.
Might that have been an early Cheyenne....AKA a "K-Mart King Air"? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #27
Jack 34pu

Yes, Hershey was a little off and I didn't bring a trailer as it was calling for rain. The Good Lord gave us a break!! My 2 brothers and I get together each year to tell the same car stories over and over again - wives didn't come this year as they were tired of hearing the same thing over each year and had other priorities. As we brothers age, we are dealing with health issues so it is a great place to be together. We discussed a lot of cars we owned and sold over the years that we now wish we would have kept!! - but great memories.
I got to say hello to KenCT, CharlieNY, and other flathead lovers. Ken of Brookville Roadster gave me a great price on a repro Model A pickup bed but the tape measure gave us the sad news that it was not going home with us. It was a GREAT price! Darn!!

Well, keep the faith and we'll see you next year if not before. Thanks to all the Barners that have shared their knowledge with us who are still learning. Can't think of a better group of friends, many whom I have never met.
Jack 34pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #28
Straightpipes

My son and I had another great year at Hershey. I know that we will make the trip yearly as long as we can. Arrived on Tuesday and we brought the camping trailer so stayed right on the field. We sold enough to pay for the trip and even found a few treasures.
I sure liked that 40 Plymouth coupe parked in the Red field. Damn near bought it but I came to my senses and decided that I have enough.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #29
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree View Post
I can't recall the year of my first trip to Hershey but private airplanes were landing on the strip across the road. We camped right on the field so it was nice and handy. It seems like it always rained at least once during that week. Everyone waded mud to get to the flea market. On Saturday they drove the cars on to the field for judging. It was all some of those old machines could do to make the grade to the field.

The prices then would certainly be a bargain today. I have read that new Model A fenders were selling for $2.50 in the early years. I have never seen any that cheap.

I hope Hershey continues to grow and prosper for the next generations to enjoy. If you have never been there, put it on your bucket list.
The first time I went (72 I think) my wife and I truck campered on the field across the road next to the runway. My young sons still talk about the planes landing right next to us. I don't remember rain that year but I think the next it was mud city and I have been there in mud and appreciate the pavement, although it is harder on the feet.

Oh yeah, I bought a set of oil bottles in a rack for $30 or $35 the first year. and a left 29 welled fender for $75 I think.

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #30
TomT/Williamsburg

Four of us went this year for Wed-Thurs, one who is in his early 30s who amazes us at the huge amount of knowledge gained in such a short period of time. We all are building Model As and we ALL came home with a number of great deals for all of us. Yes, plenty of grey beards selling and buying but there were quite a few youngsters around. I know of many stories regarding i-net sales not being exactly what was portrayed/described so things may not look so bad as we think.

Tim, straightpipes, and a few others with whom I stopped by but you were not home - I was sorry I missed you as well.

All I know is all 4 of us will be there for next year and with more money than we brought with us this year I can tell you that!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #31
Chuck Kuntz

Yes it was the PA 31T prototype.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #32
mercman from oz

While not Ford or Hershey related, Barner SUHRsc has been asking for a Dicco Van in any condition. This one has found its way to Australia where the Owner has invested many dollars to bring it up to the condition that it is today. I don't think that this one is for sale. Check out the pictures for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0550.jpg (76.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0554.jpg (70.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0236.jpg (57.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0235.jpg (64.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0234.jpg (46.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0237.jpg (64.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0233.jpg (32.6 KB, 36 views)
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #33
SUHRsc

Thanks for the photos, mercman.... quite a bit of work into that one!
A bit too fancy for our plan anyways but always neat to see what people do with stuff!

thanks!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 AM   #34
Tim Ayers

I do think in future years, even more parts are going to start showing up. The reason I think this is as some of the older folks in our hobby start to too old to do it anymore or (sadly) start to get ill or pass, these parts will be unloaded by friends and family.

Regardless of how great a tool the internet is to this hobby, there are some things that really need to be cash and carry. Think about fenders, glass, heavy parts like trans. banjo rears.

I don't think we have to worry. Hershey will be here for at least a few more years.

BTW: Does anyone know who the announcer is? I've been hearing his voice for many years and it doesn't seem to age.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #35
SUHRsc

The race announcers this year were Fred Sherk Jr. and Joe Heisler III. I'm guessing you mean the main show though.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #36
TonyM

I am going to join AACA at the end of the year and I hope to get to Hershey a few times in the coming years. My father has been to it. It looks like my kind of car show.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #37
HOTROD_WILLIE

I had great time at Hershey this year. There still a lot of great deals out there. I did not try to sell anything this year. Just tired of dealing w/ people. Last year I had 1934 Ford fan for sell. The guy was going to buy it but never show up to even to look at it. I could have sold several times but I was holding for this guy. I believe he was at Hooter eating chicken wings. Want goes round comes round. Can not wait for next year.
HOTROD_WILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #38
source36

Had a bit of a rough trip this time . We made it to Hershey but my camper decided to vacation in Newburgh....Old style van so I must take half the front end off to get the motor out. Looks like I have a winter project....Had to rent a truck to make the show and got in late after loading all the parts into the Uhaul. Arrived at 11:30 and Got to stay out on Boathouse Road for the night as Hershey brass shuts down field at 11. I Thought there were a lot of empty spaces but still got to visit with some great people both old and new. I'm 46 but old fords are in my blood....Yes next year the booth will be more noticeably Ford barn friendly....Moved lots of small items so maybe people held off a little on the big stuff. More work than usual this year but who am I kidding...I would probably push my camper to Hershey if that is what it took.
source36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:37 PM   #39
glennsanders

My 1 st trip to HERSHEY got their Friday at 7 ready to shop.But it was 830-900 before sellers got there to untrap and sell.Than at 400 started packing to leave cause couple rain drops.As it was at least 1/3 spots where already empty. Is it like that in past?
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #40
glennsanders

what I meant to say has it been like that in the last couple years
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote