Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Carb angle ?

Hey guys i got this from a young friend building a hot rod.
Any comments ??

He said:

Hey Jim, Dad and I picked up a "thickstun" intake for the flathead. We had a stock intake/carb setup on the flattie when we were setting the engine in the car. We had to put an angle on the engine to get the carburetor level. When I put the thickstun on I noticed that the carbs were leaning back at the same angle as the engine. Is this an improvement that thickstun did for more hp or something or does my engine need to be reset to get the carbs level. We couldn't imagine someone doing this to their stock engine/frame just to switch out an intake. Let me know. -MattH

So i said i will ask the "wizzards """...........
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Carb angle ?

Some stock intakes have angled mounting surfaces for correcting carb angle, and some do not. You will find boat applications had a significant angle. If I recall, the 59AB and earlier engines were mounted level and later engines were mounted at an angle. JMO, but the thickston will look funny if you angle it.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Barlea

Stock 8BA was high in front so intake was built to get the carb level, and the Thickstun was designed for pre '49 application. ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 AM   #4
Da Tinman

if its not a big deal level the carb, it dont really hurt anything, but it looks kinda stooopid. you will have to check float levels if you leave it leaned back.

you could also get a machinist to make angled spacer/adapters to level things back out.
Da Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:02 AM   #5
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Hey guys i got this from a young friend building a hot rod.
Any comments ??

He said:

Hey Jim, Dad and I picked up a "thickstun" intake for the flathead. We had a stock intake/carb setup on the flattie when we were setting the engine in the car. We had to put an angle on the engine to get the carburetor level. When I put the thickstun on I noticed that the carbs were leaning back at the same angle as the engine. Is this an improvement that thickstun did for more hp or something or does my engine need to be reset to get the carbs level. We couldn't imagine someone doing this to their stock engine/frame just to switch out an intake. Let me know. -MattH

So i said i will ask the "wizzards """...........
The '32-'48 cars had torque tubes, with pinions centered on the ring gears, so the engines sat fairly level. In '49, open drives along with the hypoid pinion lower on the ring gear resulted in the engines sitting at about 3 degrees down in the rear. Pickup/commercial trucks had open drives from '42-'47, but used the old centered pinion differential. In '48 they also got a new Dana-styled hypoid rear.The result is that intakes designed for pre '48 engines have level carb pads, while later 8BA/8CM/8RT have the pads at 3 degrees.

Last edited by V8 Bob; 05-05-2011 at 04:56 AM.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote