Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Bob Drake Repro

Default An important message from Bob Drake to Mr. Lawson Cox

Mr. Cox,

Thank you for posting and being a part of this community. This is a great way to share information and also show our shared dedication and passion for the early Ford cars and trucks.

As you know, sites like this are available for public viewing and input from people all over the world and it lends itself to grow the hobby and be a resource for the new people that are becoming part of our community of early Ford V8’s. Something we like to call “Keeping the Spirit Alive”.

We have noticed over the past few years that you and a certain number of posters on this site and the original “Ford Barn”, have made derogatory statements towards me and my company. I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the fact is, these statements are not justified and could possibly be considered slander.

I began this humble business in 1971 and started it with what I call an “open door” policy. Meaning, we strive for 100% customer satisfaction, both in our product line and our service. If we have in any way done you wrong, please drop me a line and we will get it right to your satisfaction. This goes for each and every one of our customers, whether you are new or have bought parts from us over the years. We’re here to help but we are only human and could possibly make mistakes. To rectify any misunderstandings, we need the proper input.

Here’s a little story from 1974. When I came out with my first die cast, chrome part, the Ford script locking gas cap, I had a customer return a cap in a hundred pieces with a nasty letter. I was very proud of my gas cap and it turned out that the cap he sent back was not mine. Instead of sending him back a nasty letter with his pile of parts, I decided to send him one of my new caps for free to show him the quality. He was blown away and has been a great customer ever since. This is the kind of company that we are, and the type of attitude that we try to pass on to all our employees.

I understand you are compiling the 1935-1936 Ford pickup book for the Early Ford V8 Club of America. I am a member and I’m active in the club as well. I have an extensive collection of original parts and accessories and some collectibles for those years of trucks and would like to invite you to ask us for any information or pictures that may help you with the book. We can also give you written permission to use any artwork in our copyrighted catalogs, like we did for earlier V8 club books.

I’m not only in the business, but I’m also involved in this hobby. I go to many swap meets and trade shows and have had the pleasure of meeting many of you personally. I invite anybody to come to our booth to say “hey”, share a good story or give us the chance to fix a bad one.

Regards, Bob
Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
gz

Default Re: An important message from Bob Drake to Mr. Lawson Cox

Bob-You have been in this hobby and business for many years and the contributions made by you have been numerous. Thank you for doing so much to keep these old Fords alive. Without people like yourself, this hobby would not be what it is today. Bob Drake Reproductions has always been, and always will be, a FIRST CLASS ACT in my book and many others.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #3
HOTRODPRIMER

Bob,I will repeat my previous statement,,

I've done business with you for many years ,1985 to be exact,and the first item I purchased was the locking gas cap,along with hundreds of other 40 Ford parts and in recent years 32 parts.

I still refer to the old catalog as a reference guide for assembly.

I have never experienced any problems with any part.

My only complaint which is more of a disappointment is the notebook catalog that never came to a conclusion. HRP

Last edited by HOTRODPRIMER; 02-04-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
Tim Brown

Right on Bob!
Old 02-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
lee34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brown View Post
Right on Bob!
Bob; I have been driving my 34 sedan since 1960 and over the years (many) I have purchased a wide selection of parts.All were as good or better than Henry made.Lee34
Old 02-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
Ken Crans

Bob, Only had one problem... The fuel sending unit for the 40-47 Ford truck. I didn't like the "universal" design. In other words, bend the float to suit. But i made due and it does work as advertised. I'm curious on the new 40 Ford truck front fenders. I got to see these. Thanks Ken Crans
Old 02-04-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
Roger W Gerow

I recently ordered the complete weather stripping surround kit for my '40 Ford tudor. They fit perfectly, even came with adhesive attached. Couldn't be more pleased.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Drake Repro View Post
Mr. Cox,

Thank you for posting and being a part of this community. This is a great way to share information and also show our shared dedication and passion for the early Ford cars and trucks.

As you know, sites like this are available for public viewing and input from people all over the world and it lends itself to grow the hobby and be a resource for the new people that are becoming part of our community of early Ford V8’s. Something we like to call “Keeping the Spirit Alive”.

We have noticed over the past few years that you and a certain number of posters on this site and the original “Ford Barn”, have made derogatory statements towards me and my company. I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the fact is, these statements are not justified and could possibly be considered slander.

I began this humble business in 1971 and started it with what I call an “open door” policy. Meaning, we strive for 100% customer satisfaction, both in our product line and our service. If we have in any way done you wrong, please drop me a line and we will get it right to your satisfaction. This goes for each and every one of our customers, whether you are new or have bought parts from us over the years. We’re here to help but we are only human and could possibly make mistakes. To rectify any misunderstandings, we need the proper input.

Here’s a little story from 1974. When I came out with my first die cast, chrome part, the Ford script locking gas cap, I had a customer return a cap in a hundred pieces with a nasty letter. I was very proud of my gas cap and it turned out that the cap he sent back was not mine. Instead of sending him back a nasty letter with his pile of parts, I decided to send him one of my new caps for free to show him the quality. He was blown away and has been a great customer ever since. This is the kind of company that we are, and the type of attitude that we try to pass on to all our employees.

I understand you are compiling the 1935-1936 Ford pickup book for the Early Ford V8 Club of America. I am a member and I’m active in the club as well. I have an extensive collection of original parts and accessories and some collectibles for those years of trucks and would like to invite you to ask us for any information or pictures that may help you with the book. We can also give you written permission to use any artwork in our copyrighted catalogs, like we did for earlier V8 club books.

I’m not only in the business, but I’m also involved in this hobby. I go to many swap meets and trade shows and have had the pleasure of meeting many of you personally. I invite anybody to come to our booth to say “hey”, share a good story or give us the chance to fix a bad one.

Regards, Bob
Bob:

I don't know why you picked me out of the many complainers to jump on, but so be it, it is not the first time I have been jumped on in my 79+ years, and it will probably not be the last. LOL

My only complaints have been about folks who claim to have an exact reproduction part, and it does not fit or function as original or as advertised, but when a complaint is voiced the come back is always "we have never had any complaints". I have not limited my remarks to you, but have voiced the same complaints about others who "reproduce" parts as well.

Lawson

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 02-04-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
bbrocksr

Lawson don't worry about why, Take him up on his offer . I think that was pretty decent of him after all the badmouthing he got on this site.
Just my opinion, Bill Brock
Old 02-04-2011, 11:56 PM   #10
RMR&C

Just saw this on the hamb too....a little free advertising it seems.

Oh well, I still won't buy from him.

Hey Lawson, I think he wants to be in your book!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #11
havi

Communication is a two way street.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #12
FL&WVMIKE

LAWSON COX ..........................
When he first went into business, and made his own parts, he had a First Class reputation ! I'm sure that we all remember that !
After he started having all his parts made in China, the quality suffered badly. Anyone who called him on that, was told that their complaint was the first they had ever heard and treated them like they did not know what they were talking about.
Another thing, when he started having his running boards made in China, for a fraction of the cost of USA made boards, is when he raised his prices.
How can you treat people like that and not expect some repercussions ?
MIKE

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 02-05-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM   #13
Cecil/WV

I've had no complaints with his parts.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #14
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
LAWSON COX ..........................
When he first went into business, and made his own parts, he had a First Class reputation ! I'm sure that we all remember that !
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post

After he started having all his parts made in China, the quality suffered badly. Anyone who called him on that, was told that their complaint was the first they had ever heard and treated them like they did not know what they were talking about.

Another thing, when he started having his running boards made in China, for a fraction of the cost of USA made boards, is when he raised his prices.

How can you treat people like that and not expect some repercussions ?

MIKE

If we're to choose sides, put me on the Lawson and FL&WVMIKE team. Mike, you couldn't have summed up the problem areas any more accurately and truthfully than you've done. I might guess some of the bad reports are taking a noticeable toll? From my experience and apparently many others, that's when (finally) a response is made.
How about the water pumps that didn't fit the blocks? It seems each guy that questioned that problem was "the first we've heard about it". Only when the problem went viral did it get handled.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #15
tom/illinois

What would be the reason a manufacturer would take production to China?............Maybe something called GREED.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
Milt/Las Vegas

You guys are something else.I've been buying from Bob for years,and for the most part have been very happy with the quality.The 40 body wouldn't being made if it were made in the states because the price would be thru the ceiling.You can thank our politicians for everything being made in china.You expect him to invent the wheel.We only have a few parts manufacturers,and you're trying to drive one out of business.You'd better find out what side your bread is buttered on.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
havi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom/illinois View Post
What would be the reason a manufacturer would take production to China?............Maybe something called GREED.
Or the competitors already have, and force one to either go with it, or file bankruptcy. Just saying.

(my management hangs this over our heads: Work harder, or your job goes to China)
Old 02-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #18
David J

Talking Re: An important message from Bob Drake to Mr. Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Bob:

I don't know why you picked me out of the many complainers to jump on, but so be it, it is not the first time I have been jumped on in my 79+ years, and it will probably not be the last. LOL

Lawson
Hey Lawson , Isn't it a compliment when the high and mighty choose YOU as the target for return fire !!!!! This is good stuff for the peanut gallery !!!!!!!! David J

Last edited by David J; 02-05-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: same as always ; bad spelin
Old 02-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
Sid the Maineiac

I wonder how many of Bob Drakes parts are sold to the Chinese? I would like to hear some statistics on the U.S.A. made versus overseas made cost comparisons..I realize that Bob Drake is not the only one getting products made overseas but the majority of people who buy his parts has someone they know who has lost their job due to overseas production of formerly American made products.Where does it stop?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #20
41PICUP

I agree with Milt.
I have no complaints with products I've got from Drake.
I'd recommend them, always had good service too.
Closed Thread