Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2021, 08:19 PM   #1
Low-Blow

Default Can I Modify This Generator Mounting Bracket?

I posted this over on the HAMB, but things don't stay on the main page very long there. I am currently finishing up the flathead for my 29AV8 build. It's an 8BA with 8RT water pumps and a reproduction Edlebrock slingshot that is for the earlier engines (receipt from Speedway says 38-48). The issue that I am having is with the generator mounting bracket. I have the 21A fan setup so I want to run the 8BA style generator mounting bracket, as the fan bracket bolts right up to it. Evidently, there are more than one type of 8BA generator bracket. I have at least two. One of them will not even remotely come close to fitting my intake. The other one will slide down into the groove just a little bit, and then it binds. I have a 59A engine that I tried out the bracket on, and it fits all the way on with no issues. The question is this...Can I trim the sides of the generator bracket to allow it to fit on my new intake? My thoughts are yes, but I wanted to see if anyone else may take issue with it. Please see the pictures and let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mock Up 1.jpg (85.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Manifold 10.jpg (81.7 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Manifold 1.jpg (56.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Manifold 3.jpg (42.7 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Manifold 5.jpg (50.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Manifold 6.jpg (50.5 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg Manifold 7.jpg (35.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Manifold 8.jpg (43.8 KB, 88 views)
Old 01-28-2021, 09:21 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: Can I Modify This Generator Mounting Bracket?

I think you need to machine the front of the manifold to fit the bracket if there enough material in it. The mounting flange on the manifold looks like it is machined for the bracket to be guided by the inside surfaces of the upright sides. The outside surfaces appear to be "as cast" and flare out at the bottom causing the interference with the bracket you are trying to use.

Can you post a picture of the stock manifold that you show the bracket mounted on? I think you want to have the front of the new manifold machined to look like the stock one.

Since you are using an early intake manifold on an 8BA engine, what are your plans for crankcase ventilation?
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
convert 40

I came to the same conclusion as Zeke before I read his reply.
He is right on.
convert 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:37 PM   #4
Low-Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
I think you need to machine the front of the manifold to fit the bracket if there enough material in it. The mounting flange on the manifold looks like it is machined for the bracket to be guided by the inside surfaces of the upright sides. The outside surfaces appear to be "as cast" and flare out at the bottom causing the interference with the bracket you are trying to use.

Can you post a picture of the stock manifold that you show the bracket mounted on? I think you want to have the front of the new manifold machined to look like the stock one.

Since you are using an early intake manifold on an 8BA engine, what are your plans for crankcase ventilation?

Thank you for the response. I can post a picture of the 59A manifold tomorrow. But, you are correct in that it is pretty much straight up and down. We had discussed machining the manifold but figured there was enough meat on this bracket that cutting the sides up 3/4 of the way would not hurt it. As far as crankcase ventilation, I have a PCV valve on the intake. You couldn't see it in that picture, because it's on the other side. Here's a different pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mock Up 2.jpg (78.1 KB, 177 views)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:23 AM   #5
Low-Blow

This is what I have in mind. Cutting along the white line marked in the pic. Obviously, I will use a caliper to measure where the exact cut will take place. But, this gives you an idea. I just hate the thought of having to disassemble the intake and take it to have it milled. That generator bracket is beefy enough that I don't think I would be compromising it by removing the side sections.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manifold 3 (2).jpg (27.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
Tim Ayers

Cut the bracket for sure or use an offset gen. bracket for an 8BA which allows you to run the fan in the stock position off of it.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:45 AM   #7
19Fordy

Low-Blow: Your "white line" cut idea makes sense and is a good start as long as the belts line up with the pulley. You might also consider making your own custom "made to fit" bracket out of steel bar stock. Make a prototype out of wood first. Or use an offset generator bracket. I would only cut the intake as a last resort. Easier to make a bracket, I think. Plus, it's neat to make your own stuff.
https://www.google.com/search?q=flat...hrome&ie=UTF-8
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
1948F-1Pickup

I really dislike that bracket and actually the entire belt adjustment procedure.
Haven't sat down to scrutinize but there's got to be a better way....
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
29A

I think I would run the early style generator or mill the intake to match the 59a one your bracket fits on. Just an opinion.
29A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-Blow View Post
As far as crankcase ventilation, I have a PCV valve on the intake.
Low-Blow ....Your engine package certainly has a lot of 'eye appeal'....very NICE looking! In looking at your PCV set-up, am I correct in assuming that that is your PCV valve I see captured in the black grommet just in front of the fuel pump stand? If so, I would have concern that you won't see any effective cross-ventilation of the crankcase. In your particular case, it appears that fresh air would be available via the (vented) oil-fill cap. If that is how you actually DO have it plumbed, I believe fresh air will only be drawn-in via the direct manifold vacuum from the plenum under the carburetors. Rather than being drawn through what one could effectively call the ENTIRE crankcase, the fresh air would more than likely make a quick U-turn, to be essentially drawn straight into the vacuum plenum. IF that is the way your plumbing is actually set-up, your crankcase would likely vent any internal pressure build-up (which is GOOD), but the majority of the TOTAL volume of crankcase moisture and other impurities that a PCV valve is designed to do away with will be allowed to remain as a result of the lack of "cross-crankcase" air flow.

8BA-type engines were originally plumbed to encourage fresh air entry to flow across the upper valve chamber, and down through oil drain and breathing orifices into the lower oil pan area. That air was then drawn back up a vertical tube located in the front of the valve chamber, and eventually directed out the road draft tube, effectively routing the air flow THROUGHOUT the entire crankcase like the drawing shows below. Hoping this may help in some way! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote