Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
mistamick

Default Optima Battery info needed

I am considering buying an Optima battery for my 1935 5 window coupe. I have the original placement location in front of the driver's seat and the current battery measures 10L, 7W, 8h with the post included.
Does anyone know which model Optima would be the correct one and can you recommend a seller?
Thanks in advance.
mistamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
35ragtop

Default Re: Optima Battery info needed

Hi I bought a Red Top 6V-1050 Optima. for my 35
They have 800CCA and are 8.08 inches high. Seems to be the lowest height of all the range. Might have to pack up the cover to clear the post .

35 ragtop
35ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Shadetree

I believe some of the guys are laying the Optima sideways in the tray. Being gel filled it makes no difference of the position. I am going that route too. My NAPA battery died after a year or so and there is no warranty on the 6V.

Too, I saw a replacement battery cover that was raised. Maybe enough to clear a battery.
Shadetree
Shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Rustyspokes

There was a thread awhile back with a picture where one of the guys made a small box and put it down beside and just foreward of the starter , I have a 34 and will go that route..
Rustyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
OLD...BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by D(AL) View Post
There was a thread awhile back with a picture where one of the guys made a small box and put it down beside and just foreward of the starter , I have a 34 and will go that route..
YES; That was JM 35 SEDAN, he built a box, and posted pictures, he'll jump in here if we puill his chain ..... OLD ... BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

I made a sheet metal SS tray for a 6V red top Optima that mounts in the original battery box under the front floor of my '35 fordor sedan. No modifications to the original battery box or cover were necessary. I can remove the tray and Optima in ten minutes if I should ever want to go back to an original battery set up. I can't post pictures right now but could add them later if you would like to see them. There was another post by GM showing his Optima battery box mounts in the engine compartment. That's also what I was thinking about doing before I came up with an idea of how to mount an Optima in the original box.
Hey Old Bill, thanks for pulling my chain. I need that every now and then :-)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-18-2011 at 09:01 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Da Tinman

Might look at the sears diehard platinum series batteries instead of the optima. we have had issues with optima, and I have heard good things about the diehard.

jeepers that use the winch alot say they have no problems with the sears.
Da Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
Deuce Man

I have an optima in my 32 ford. I mounted it inside a ford heater box on the inside passenger side of my firewall. cables are less than two feet long. starts great it is 6 volt has a generator, quartz or is it halogen bulbs? and an electric fan.
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #9
Shadetree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Tinman View Post
Might look at the sears diehard platinum series batteries instead of the optima. we have had issues with optima, and I have heard good things about the diehard.

Tinman,
Do they make a 6 volt Diehard battery?
Shadetree
Old 02-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
Coupe35

I had a sheet metal shop make a "U" shape plate with a bent flange on each side which fit inside the original opening. The plate lower the battery 1/2" which gave it enough room under the floor board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery 004.jpg (45.8 KB, 54 views)
Coupe35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Tinman View Post

I have had excellent luck running Optma 6V Battaries in several of my old Fords. I have generators with regulators in all of them. The Optma's like to be charged properly and not overcharged or undercharged. I would also consider a Mastrer Disconnect Switch if you do not already have one. The Optma's last a long time and hold a charge very well, especially with a disconnect switch.

In two of my cars, I have them layed on their side with no problems.

My experience.

Chris
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Shadetree

Thanks,
I ordered my Optima today for my `35 Cabriolet.
Shadetree
Old 02-20-2011, 02:42 AM   #13
Thriftmaster

I made up my own metal plate and lock down in the original under floor battery hole and laid a red topped optima 6 volt battery on its side. My optima puts out a little over 7.3 volts and cranks my flatty as well as an 8 volt. I also have a permanently mounted battery tender/charger attached to the battery, and haven't had any problems in the last 2 years with it or the 6 volt bulbs.
Thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
flatheadfan

mistamick-

Here are some pictures of various Optima mountings. I don't know when or where I found these. Hopefully, they give you some ideas.

Tom

Last edited by flatheadfan; 04-22-2013 at 02:56 PM.
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Tom, at least three of those pics are of GM's Optima battery boxes on his cars and the two dated June 1, 2007 I took of a '35 3W coupe that was at the EFV8C/A Eastern Nat. Meet in Fairfax, VA

Here are a few pictures I took of the battery box I made to mount an Optima in my '35 fordor. The SS channel I used was salvaged from a building being torn down so I had to make it work by adding some angle brackets so it would sit in the original battery mount cross braces. It worked really well for me because my objectives were to not drill any holes or cut anything that would not allow this car to be put back to a stock battery setup.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
Bruce/CT

Default Battery tray adaptor

Hi John,
I built a wooden brace to put my Optima 6volt on an angle but it brings the posts very close to the floorboards. I'm not happy with that. I love your tray. What would you estimate is the distance from the top lip to the floor of your tray? Height of the Optima plus ?? inches My next project is going to be making something like yours.
Thanks,
Bruce/CT
[email protected]
Bruce/CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Battery tray adaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce/CT View Post
Hi John,
I built a wooden brace to put my Optima 6volt on an angle but it brings the posts very close to the floorboards. I'm not happy with that. I love your tray. What would you estimate is the distance from the top lip to the floor of your tray? Height of the Optima plus ?? inches My next project is going to be making something like yours.
Thanks,
Bruce/CT
[email protected]
Bruce, I also looked at mounting my Optima in various different ways. On its side, on an angle, in an old 2LF lead acid case, etc., and I finally decided to mount mine as per those pictures. The tops of the battery posts/battery cable clamps are at least 1" below the inside surface of the battery floor cover. The SS tray sits about 1 to 1-1/2" below the original battery mount cross braces. I have that Optima locked down so well that it can't move in any direction. I will send you a PM or email with some additional details.