Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #21
charles in east texas

Default Re: An important message from Bob Drake to Mr. Lawson Cox

I bought a pair of rubber floor board seals for my 39 coupe from Drake and wasted around $100 bucks. No way I could get them to work after trying for two days. That left a bad taste in my mouth. Regards, Charles
Old 02-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
tom/illinois

I have no objection to parts made in China if they are quality. I have issues with high prices for junk parts. Politicians as well as manufacturers are guilty.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #23
dave m

Ya why don't they just put in ther'e catalogue part sorta like orig might fit or maybe not---now thats truth in advertising----parts will never be 100% correct untill there made in the good ol usa again by someone that has a passion for the hobby---my 2 cents
Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #24
Fordors

I'm no marketing genius but unfortunately we do have to buy products made off shore every day. Some are "top shelf" in fit/finish/function and some are not. I'm at the keyboard of a Dell 'puter right now and for sure it wasn't made in the US of A but to me it's the best around. Looks and performs good, just as I expected. The specifications for an item come from the one desiring a quote from the producer. If the design, dimensions, and materials called out for are sound then so too will be the product. Bottom line for me is this-if a vendor feels a need to get something made off shore they need to spec that item to be the best available if they desire happy consumers. If they have done that and after a test shot the product is inferior it's time for a different off shore source. Sounds easy enough, but then again I've never tried.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #25
Frank The Plumber

I would rather buy parts from guys like Bubba, Dick Spadaro, Shelly, and others that are a part of the common cause. On the HAMB I would rather buy from some of the hot rod parts and Ford parts vendors who support the cause. If you don't want people talking about poor quality and fitment address the issues. In this society if you do something wrong you will end up blogged about or Angie'd, that's the way it goes. If you are really sincere and want to be a part of the community maybe you should become a lot more involved, remember your roots, be that guy again. It's in your best interests to contact Ryan, the guy who operates these forums and become an alliance vendor on the HAMB. Are you a victim of a lack of your own interaction with the community you serve? A tech column by Drake or a bit of history or a good story or tech article would show the guys you care. Some, myself included relish articles by established guys. You can spend millions on catalogs showing you smiling or you could spend half an hour giving yourself to this group as a valued pioneer of Ford history, in the end the personal gift of your presence will be worth more towards your goals. Your persona will be better, your legacy more fit and you will enjoy it too. Hope to read a Drake tech article here soon.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #26
ole_Bill

Bob - I have a list of 34 companies that I deal with on restoration projects. Most are excellent or they get removed from the list. I am impressed that you took the time to write and explain your position. That in itself means a lot to me. You just went to the top of my "good guys" list.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #27
ford1

Hey Lawson, the next time you want to say something about a company or person, start by saying, "In My Opion" that way you are covered, doing that doesnt mean the person or company is what you said, just your opion, and in spite of Obama trying to take away all our freedoms , here in the U.S.A. you are still allowed your opion, but for how long is any bodys guess
Old 02-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #28
alv

i was always told if you don't have anything good to say about someone don' t say anything. drakes has many parts that no other company has but nobody has to buy from them instead spend the big dollars to get nos parts and get on with it. use the old rule when buying parts fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #29
Fordors

In my opinion ford1 needs to learn how to spell opinion. I think I'm covered here, right?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #30
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt/Las Vegas View Post
.You can thank our politicians for everything being made in china..
WRONG!!! It's the suits (business executives) that make the decision to use off shore production because it is cheaper to pay overseas workers than to pay Americans. Politicians don't make these decisions, business people do.

If you want to blame the politicians for anything, blame them (both D and R) for providing the suits with tax breaks that let them avoid paying taxes here in this country because their Company HQ is a PO Box on some island somewhere. That is un patriotic during wartime.

By the way Ford1 and Milt, I come here to get away from politics; I come here to talk Fords. On the aviation web forums, we do a good job of keeping politics off the boards. Political attacks do nothing to further the conversation and they create ill will among the forum members. Let's stick to Ford discussion.

TM

Last edited by TonyM; 02-05-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Loud Backfiring
Old 02-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #31
Tinker

Everything posted on a forum is an expression of "their Opinion". Take it for what you want. Personally in my opinion someone saying they are unhappy with a product isn't slander either unless they are financially profiting from it. These are personal experiences typed on a forum, not corporate espionage.

***I don't have anything good or bad to say about Drake products.

**** Oh wait I forgot, I bought a upper radiator shield that goes on a 42-48 ford. I called to make the order and was reassured that it would fit my 42 I had at the time. Nope, guess that is why it was in the reduced special section (it still was $70+ shipping). My bad for not going through the hassle of sending it back or ever bitching about it online... well I guess till this thread came up. Still have it if you want to come by and get it.

Last edited by Tinker; 02-05-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #32
Mike in AZ

Mr. Drake....thanks for your posting....first, if it's written, it might be libelous...oral statements can be slanderous....if you can lead us to the statements you consider "slander", perhaps we would have a better idea of what you are referring....as this is an open forum, to the most part, you can address Lawson's statements and perhaps come to an understanding....or at least, you will understand better why he considered himself "justified" and why he posted what he did....and we will be able to see you do what you said you did with your gas cap....strive for 100% satisfaction....thanks...Mike
Old 02-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #33
HOTRODPRIMER

I'm happy people like Bob Drake are in the business to supply those hard to find parts.

I have used original Henry Ford parts taken from one car and used on another and had problems making them fit. HRP
Old 02-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #34
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles in east texas View Post
I bought a pair of rubber floor board seals for my 39 coupe from Drake and wasted around $100 bucks. No way I could get them to work after trying for two days. That left a bad taste in my mouth. Regards, Charles
I thought I was the only one that had that trouble. I had the exact same experience. I cut mine, glued, etc. to make fit correctly.
Another one of those advertised as a 'perfect recreation'.

I will agree in part that Drake has helped me and I am certain others out. However, there are too many examples of items NOT being what they are purported to be. My main concern is that I get what I paid for ... that is what the part was advertised to be and the service I was promised.

Definitely not the place it was in the 'early days'.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #35
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
I'm no marketing genius but unfortunately we do have to buy products made off shore every day. Some are "top shelf" in fit/finish/function and some are not. I'm at the keyboard of a Dell 'puter right now and for sure it wasn't made in the US of A but to me it's the best around. Looks and performs good, just as I expected. The specifications for an item come from the one desiring a quote from the producer. If the design, dimensions, and materials called out for are sound then so too will be the product. Bottom line for me is this-if a vendor feels a need to get something made off shore they need to spec that item to be the best available if they desire happy consumers. If they have done that and after a test shot the product is inferior it's time for a different off shore source. Sounds easy enough, but then again I've never tried.
You have nailed this on the head. China can and will produce top quality IF and only IF the purchaser requires it. As tolerance specifications get tighter, the price goes up accordingly. Price goes up, profit goes down. A certain choice for the buyer, in this case Drake, to make.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #36
296 V8
BANNED

Bob Drake Reproductions
Highly appreciated here ...... thank you ser.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #37
Bob NH

Kinda brings a tear to your eye don't it ? Seeing all the parts being produced overseas. Interesting that no one faults the greed of labor unions and their constant demands that force manufacturing jobs out of this country for cheaper labor. I will be very surprised if when this slump is over any of the great jobs we all knew will ever return. I really hate to sound so dismal but the writing is on the wall if you lQQk without colored glasses, Sad
Old 02-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #38
Da Tinman

My opinion,, this thread and the one on the hamb both suck. If mr lawson is the only person po-ed about drakes products then drake is a the man when it comes to manufacturing and selling stuff, millions of items sold and ONE guy is mad?

so this is a personal attack done to embarass ONE guy. Nice way to do things.

If the mesage says "Important message from Mr Whoseewhatsit to any persons that have had difficulty with us" it would be a whole different discussion.

As it stands,, I believe there is some merit to Mr Lawsons statements, (I havent read em, and dont care too) or the message would have read "important message from Mr Whoseewhatsit to Mr Otherendofthetable, Our lawyers are coming for you."

If anyone else were to make this kind of call out specifically aimed at someone else the thread wouldnt last 2 minutes.

I could be wrong though.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #39
amodel25

This was closed on the HAMB 12 hours ago. Why keep harping on it here?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 PM   #40
296 V8
BANNED

Because metal shapes is powerless here to force his opinion on us.
(I’m sure Ryan would disagree )
Closed Thread