Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Fourdy

Default Leaking poly gas tank

So after 7 years or so, my tank is leaking. The leak is occurring between the brass insert and the poly tank. If you have one or seen them, you know that there is a brass fitting to plumb in a gas pickup tube. I thought the leak was at the threads of the two fittings but actually found that the leaking is between the molded in brass fitting and the poly tank.

The leaking happens with a full tank of gas and really smells up the garage. Seems it could be unsafe also.

I tried to call tank companies but closed due to time zones.

Anyone have any idea if there is a glue or fix to sealing the brass to poly? A friend of mine that works with all kinds of plastics, told me that there is no way that the brass to poly can actually be 100% sealed against gas or oil leaks.

Thinking I may have to cut this tank out and put in a metal tank. Woe is me. LOL

Thanks,

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Gary in Mozarks

Default Re: Leaking poly gas tank

I would suspect JB weld would do the trick. I used it once to glue a radiator plug in a poly radiator and it held for the 10 years I had the truck. No leaks.
Gary in Mozarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
345 DeSoto

Practically NOTHING sticks to Polyethelene...
Old 11-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
rotorwrench

I would have to see a picture of the fitting arrangement to know if an effective alteration could be done. Aircraft type AN fittings can be installed through a bulkhead with the use of appropriate nuts, washers, and fuel resistant o-rings. It is more effective with a metal bulkhead but not impossible with plastic. In the aviation business we also use many different fuel resistant sealants that have a good life span. Most will take a 10-year beating without signs of leakage. Some airplane wing type "wet wings" are sealed around every rivet that infiltrates the reservoir and that can number in the thousands on some airplanes. The sealants work best on a clean but sanded surface just like you would prep for body & paint work. Whether it will stick to polypropylene or not is a question I can't answer.

If the tank is relatively inexpensive, it might be cheeper to replace if your time is valuable to you.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Planojc

There is a peoduct called Seal-All that claims to be gas and oil resistant. I have not used it but it may be worth a try. It comes in a tube and is not expensive. www.seal-all.com
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Tim Brown

If it were me, I would spend the money to put a steel tank in it. It needs to hold gas and not leak. They came from Henry that way and I would do all I can to avoid a fire or worse.... Just my 2 cents...
Tim Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Da Tinman

if this is a racing style poly tank with screw in fittings you can get replacement gaskets at your local ace hardware store. look in the plumbing/fitting isle.
Da Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Fourdy

Thanks to all of you for your help. I have a call into TANKS but the tech man won't be in until Thursday. I think the general consensus is that if it sticks to brass it won't stick to poly and vice-versa. I spoke with my neighbor that works with all kinds of plastics and he said that he felt there was no way to 100% seal between brass and poly.
Sooooooo, unless I hear of a miracle fix from TANKS I believe I will be replacing the tank with a steel one. In hindsight, should have done so in the first place.

Like the plaque my Mother gave me says, (in translation) "too soon old, too late smart".

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote