Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2022, 07:19 PM   #1
shew01

Default Ideas for Standing Out at a Car Show

For the first time, our Model A car club plans to participate in an upcoming indoor car show at a local civic center, and multiple car clubs will have tables around the perimeter of the building.

I’m looking for ways to make our table stand out (in a positive way) from the other car club tables in hopes of attracting new folks to the hobby. We’ll have a club banner, probably a couple of candy bowls, probably an iPad slide show, vendor catalogs, club applications, possibly some MARC magazines, etc.

One thing I’ve looked for is Mylar helium Model A balloons, but I haven’t seen any online. Is there such an animal? If so, where should I look?

Does anyone else have any ideas for how to attract interest to a car club table at a car show?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:20 PM   #2
Ruth

Default Re: Ideas for Standing Out at a Car Show

Half neckid models??
Old 02-13-2022, 08:27 PM   #3
Gene F

I always think work on quality, not quantity. More people from you club, not visiting, but out in the isle making contact. Strive to convey: A club helps, buy an A to get started, try to make contact with guys and their teenage sons. Affordabllilty. Parts are avalalble. Lower cost to restore, and simplistic design. You have to get them started in something they can do together, and is still kinda cool. Not every Dad wants to start off with a muscle car.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:31 PM   #4
redmodelt

All the other club will be after the same thing. You don't want to be too garish with your display. Maybe more important, than how the booth looks, is the people behind the table. Put your most outgoing ones there. Not people that don't have time to talk to the public and just sit back and chat among themselves.
Old 02-13-2022, 08:59 PM   #5
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
I always think work on quality, not quantity. More people from you club, not visiting, but out in the isle making contact. Strive to convey: A club helps, buy an A to get started, try to make contact with guys and their teenage sons. Affordabllilty. Parts are avalalble. Lower cost to restore, and simplistic design. You have to get them started in something they can do together, and is still kinda cool. Not every Dad wants to start off with a muscle car.

Excellent ideas. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2022, 09:01 PM   #6
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
All the other club will be after the same thing. You don't want to be too garish with your display. Maybe more important, than how the booth looks, is the people behind the table. Put your most outgoing ones there. Not people that don't have time to talk to the public and just sit back and chat among themselves.

I agree. We do want to be cautious not to be garish.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:02 PM   #7
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Half neckid models??

My wife’s not willing to do that.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:28 PM   #8
1930artdeco

Here is what I tell people when I go to shows and they ask me about the car and some thoughts.

1) when they go I don’t know how to work on one I reply: “do you know what a screwdriver is/wrench? When they reply yes I then tell them they can work on one and explain how simple they are.

2) tell them/show them that your club is about inclusiveness and not judging people by there cars and how ‘accurate ’ they are for judging.

3) if you can set up demo rides outside or make a ford for that

4) I am going catch flak for this-But have some younger outgoing people at the booth as well. That way people see others of a similar age bracket like them.

Mike
Old 02-13-2022, 09:37 PM   #9
Kevin in NJ

What does your club do?

Some clubs are put on a few car shows for a large fee. Then have meetings where they talk about What T-shirts to buy and where the Christmas party will be held.

If you are road trip club that has some events constantly going and you help people get their cars ready for such trips....

Well you have to advertise who you are and you have to have people out talking to people about the A and what it really is.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:43 PM   #10
McMimmcs

People love free! Have numerous free draws for items donated by club members or businesses. Prizes to be presented at next club meeting! .
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:54 PM   #11
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
What does your club do?

Some clubs are put on a few car shows for a large fee. Then have meetings where they talk about What T-shirts to buy and where the Christmas party will be held.

If you are road trip club that has some events constantly going and you help people get their cars ready for such trips....

Well you have to advertise who you are and you have to have people out talking to people about the A and what it really is.

Most of the members are retired. It would be great to bring younger folks into the club if we could.

Mostly we meet, drive to a restaurant (maybe an hour away or so), enjoy each other’s company, and go home. Sometimes we participate in various parades and car shows. We tend to take an overnight road trip once or twice a year. We tend to have some sort of event once or twice a month.

The club folks are wonderful people who seem almost like family.

Old 02-13-2022, 09:56 PM   #12
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
People love free! Have numerous free draws for items donated by club members or businesses. Prizes to be presented at next club meeting! .

That’s not a bad idea at all. If we had more time to prepare for this event, that would probably work well.

Old 02-13-2022, 11:55 PM   #13
burner31

I have a parking meter from the '40's (my son and I rebuild it) I put it in front of the car, many kids ask what it is, I bring a pocket full of pennies and nickels, their parents show them how it's work.
Kids, parents and old folks (like myself) seem to enjoy it
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:56 PM   #14
lrf

Have a restored carb and distributor on the table that people can handle or ask about, it starts conversation. Explain the "A"s simplicity and many part suppliers. Talk of the clubs activities. Enjoy. LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:15 AM   #15
Brad in Germany

If you want to give the impression of a vibrant, active and welcoming club, do not bring any chairs to your booth (or at least no club members sitting down, or if not able to stand up, then position yourselves in front of the table).

Nothing more un-welcoming then seeing a bunch of old folks, who already know each other, just sitting around, chatting with each other, in a closed circle of chairs, hiding behind the table.

My wife and I ran an experiment at Hershey one year. We sat down behind our booth tables for 30 minutes: lots of lookers passed by, but no buyers and no one lingered in our booths for more than a minute (or less), and not a single sale.

However when we stood up, there was a continuous flow of buyers stopping into our booths and people asked us questions and genuinely wanted to engage in conversation and tell us about their cars, or anything else that they had on their minds, etc. Most ended up lingering a while in our booths and most of the time ended up buying something from us.

Brad in Maryland (who you will find standing up at Hershey spaces CF73-CF75 every year)
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 05:10 AM   #16
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrf View Post
Have a restored carb and distributor on the table that people can handle or ask about, it starts conversation. Explain the "A"s simplicity and many part suppliers. Talk of the clubs activities. Enjoy. LRF

Hmmm… I can see where this could be a conversation starter.

Old 02-14-2022, 05:11 AM   #17
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad in Germany View Post
If you want to give the impression of a vibrant, active and welcoming club, do not bring any chairs to your booth (or at least no club members sitting down, or if not able to stand up, then position yourselves in front of the table).

Nothing more un-welcoming then seeing a bunch of old folks, who already know each other, just sitting around, chatting with each other, in a closed circle of chairs, hiding behind the table.

My wife and I ran an experiment at Hershey one year. We sat down behind our booth tables for 30 minutes: lots of lookers passed by, but no buyers and no one lingered in our booths for more than a minute (or less), and not a single sale.

However when we stood up, there was a continuous flow of buyers stopping into our booths and people asked us questions and genuinely wanted to engage in conversation and tell us about their cars, or anything else that they had on their minds, etc. Most ended up lingering a while in our booths and most of the time ended up buying something from us.

Brad in Maryland (who you will find standing up at Hershey spaces CF73-CF75 every year)

This is very interesting. I like this idea very much.

Old 02-14-2022, 05:31 AM   #18
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Half neckid models??

period-correct, so in their 90ies? ;-)

sorry, couldn't resist...
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:19 AM   #19
Ray in La Mesa

A nicely restored radiator shell to use as a sign on the table with club info is a large eye-catcher in a crowded room.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:48 AM   #20
77Birdman

All great ideas, I like Brads very much. Do any of your guys have a car under restoration that is transportable? Seeing a car being built/in progress will stand out amongst all of the other restored cars at the show.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote