Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #21
abachman3

Default Re: Ideas for Standing Out at a Car Show

Have some literature about your club activities and a picture of a model A Ford. Hand them out. Put a contact person's name on the literature. If permitted, let them look in, get in a model A Ford at the show. Put their kids in it for photos. I always lay out a few old tools, a jack, old grease gun. It draws a lot of attention.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:23 PM   #22
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Excellent ideas. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps have some preprinted fliers with before and after photos, or simply some note cards with your club contact info on it. In our club's case, we have had good luck brining people that are not members to one trial meeting. One where we know at least 1 car will be there. Take them for a ride works magic!!!!!!
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:53 PM   #23
Cool Hand Lurker

" Take them for a ride works magic!!!!!!"
Think about that... why is it we like the Model A so much? Taking it for a ride! You can't totally enjoy it as much any other way than driving or riding.

Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:56 PM   #24
Ayers1

@shew01 do you have details for this event? I'm a little over an hour away and might be interested in attending.

Thanks,
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:18 PM   #25
Busmoss

I recently witnessed a very nice mechanical cut away of a model A with a 5 speed transmission and modern shocks replacement in Nashville TN. I was drawn to it like a moth to a light.
Could one put an Oogaa horn on a test stand? Pretty sure people would play with it
Busmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:45 PM   #26
Gil Sissons

I would suggest a large freestanding poster with a Model A on it
With large letters.....”Sign up to go for a ride with us in our Model A’s!

Have a sign up sheet where they leave their name and number.
Then your club plan a weekend day to meet at the local park and
Offer free rides of a mile or so. Just possible to snag a few new members.

Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 05:09 AM   #27
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayers1 View Post
@shew01 do you have details for this event? I'm a little over an hour away and might be interested in attending.

Thanks,

It’s one of Roanoke’s larger car events. The cars are inside, and the flea market is outside.

https://mdacarshow.com/11/

shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:30 AM   #28
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Half neckid models??
NO. Full neckid models always works
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:52 PM   #29
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomInCologne View Post
period-correct, so in their 90ies? ;-)

sorry, couldn't resist...
Yeah, I know what you mean...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84039760.jpg (28.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ac91c6e88c4caf59cca99920a36414f5.jpg (11.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg download (7).jpg (56.7 KB, 26 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:24 PM   #30
CHuDWah

I like the idea of "carnival barkers." OK, not that obnoxious but a couple extroverted members in front of the table politely engaging potential A fans. Maybe have them in period clothing. When I was showing our coupe, I sometimes wore a 30s golf outfit complete with knee-length knickers, argyle socks, vest, and flat hat - always attracted attention.

I also like the idea of having guy(s) working on a car if there's room and the show allows. Probably couldn't do anything major, but maybe changing plugs, static timing, changing tires, etc. Folks are curious and seeing activity around a car may prompt them to initiate contact.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:45 PM   #31
todd3131

If you are trying to interest them in model a and restoring them those are great idea. But if you are trying to get them to join a club then you need to address that . I have been a model a guy my entire life and work on them to this day but I don't belong to the club because they are incredibly boring. I have attended meetings and they try to get me to join but I joined another club and started a cars and coffee that meets once a month because it is fun. What is fun about meetings I would rather drive and have fun. Model a is just a medium for people to bond over and have fun driving them and working on them. Focus on the social aspect the rest will follow.

Last edited by todd3131; 02-15-2022 at 08:50 PM.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:18 PM   #32
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
...or simply some note cards with your club contact info on it.
We have a tri-fold that we hand out at meets and car shows describing the club's activities, community service, where we meet, contact info and our web site address.

Not sure it would make you stand out at a car show tho.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-15-2022 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Grammar...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:47 PM   #33
dean from bozeman

One of my proudest momments as a Model A guy happened when I was a senior in high school. When I bought my 1929 Tudor as sophomore I joined the Wisconsin Chapter of Model A Ford Club of America. Each year they participated in the Rank & Son Buick Antique Car Show as a club. Besides displaying a number of Model A's, they would also display a restored chassis.

The year was 1969. During a club meeting the folks discussed whose chassis would be displayed. Amazingly, that year there were no restorations at that stage. No restorations that they knew of. My mentor in the club was a guy named Jack Grundman. Towards the end of the meeting I was talking to Jack and mentioned that my chassis was done and I was even able to drive it. Though he had never seen it, he "nominated" my chassis to represent the club at the Rank & Son Show. He even vouched that it would be a chassis that the club would be proud of. The motion passed.

The day came when club members came with a trailer to pick up my chassis. As they walked around it, I saw a few heads nod in approval. We took it to Rank & Son and set it up under the tent that afternoon. The next day at the show I got a lot of great comments from club members. It was also great to see so many people look at my chassis. Parents explaining to their kids what the different parts were.

Fast forward to the MARC National meet in San Diego in 2011. The restored chassis of A495 is on display in the hotel lobby. Each time I walked by it there were some folks looking it over. I'm equally proud of both accomplishments.

Yup, if I were to vote I would vote for the best idea for a club display it would be a tie between Ruth's idea of a "half neckid model" and the idea of displaying a restored Model A chassis. Better yet to attract attention have the model point out the various parts and features on the chassis!

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 02-15-2022 at 10:55 PM.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:02 PM   #34
Ayers1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
It’s one of Roanoke’s larger car events. The cars are inside, and the flea market is outside.

https://mdacarshow.com/11/

Awesome, thanks!
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:45 AM   #35
Keith

Your club members attending the booth could dress up in Model A period outfits/clothing to gain attention and start conversation.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:48 AM   #36
dmar836

I gotta say Todd isn’t wrong. I have not joined any clubs for the exact same reason. I enjoy originals and hot rods. I just don’t respect originals cut up today for hot rods. I get lunch with old car guys occasionally but that’s about it. Most of them don’t know my preferences and can you guess why?
If members are snobby over preferences, like “originality or else”, then they are putting stuff ahead of people and that won’t work for a club unless you just want a clique. The hot rod scene is no different. The casual cars and coffee scene is a bit lower pressure for those new to the hobby or with less than purist tastes.
If members are nice people, and sensitive to appearing inclusive, people will engage. The “no chairs” is a great idea. The good ole boy look is off-putting even to many who are also accepted in the group. It keeps us and others at arms length. The temptation is real but most people don’t want to be a part of that.

Last edited by dmar836; 02-17-2022 at 06:01 AM.
dmar836 is offline   Reply With Quote