Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-2020, 12:23 PM   #1
rockfla

Default Shakey Can follow-up/Recommendation

SO
Here is a follow-up on a piece on the 32 that I am "restoring" to put back the way it was.......I tried hitting it with some standard ole rustoleum gloss black after spraying it with a couple few coats From a shakey can acid etch primer and I then sanded the primer coat with some 400 wet dry and sprayed it. The finish was terrible, a fair amount of "crazing" in the finish. So I wet sanded it with 600 wet/dry and tried again AND again the same result. SO some may remember my post about it and "Tim Ayers", Detonator and JOhn IN Illinois were a few of the players who chimmed in on methods and products. SO I followed Tim Ayers advice and wet sanded with 600 and then 1000 and followed Detonators advice and bought a can of Rustoleum 2X gloss black. This time I hung the prepped part in the morning sun for over an hour, Then hit the first coat.....LOOKED good. Let it sit in the sun for 45 to an hour and hit it with a second coat. Looked pretty good again. SO I let it sit and gas and hardened for two weeks, wet sanded again with 2000 this time and hit it two more coats!!!! MUCH better results than the first time!!!

NOW the question IS, would you sand with 3000 and buff it with some "perfectit" OR leave as IS OR other suggestion????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holdhold2.jpg (26.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg Hoodhold1.jpg (28.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg hoodhold3.jpg (25.4 KB, 97 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote