Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
demingboy

Default engine swap

So I have a 1959 edsel ranger. In great shape but it has the 223 6 cylinder.
Is there a v8 swap I can do using my exhisting 3 speed. Wanna go faster but like the three on the tree thing.
I have read where you can hop up the 6 cylinder but prolly not too impressive.
demingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #2
darrell

Default Re: engine swap

you can use your 3 speed on any y block or fe engine.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #3
miker98038

I’m sure darrell is correct. I’m not sure what Ford used in the Edsel by 59, but typically the sixes got the lighter duty transmission. It’ll bolt up, but use it gently behind a stout y block of a usual FE.

Both y blocks and FE’s are relatively expensive builds unless you find a good running one.

I’m a y block guy and I don’t mean to be negative, just realistic. “Wanna go faster” is kind of a package deal.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:51 AM   #4
Dobie Gillis

"Speed costs money, Honey. How fast do you want to go?" (attributed to Smokey Yunick, unverified)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:07 AM   #5
demingboy

Guess I dont want to go that fast. Main thing for me is a change out without changing the driveshaft etc. Or more power for dummies kind of thing. The 6clyinder has torgue and will cruise at 70. I guess just wishing it had a v8 and was more impressive is all.
Thanks for the answers
Old 07-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
darrell

a y block would be the way to go for you if you wanted a v8.the fe is heavy and you would need to change springs.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:34 AM   #7
rotorwrench

There is only about 25 lbs difference in weight depending on how the FE is set up. The problem may be in finding a bell housing. These old cars aren't getting any newer. The Borg Warner narrow 4-bolt transmission pattern was common though between the Fords that used it. The Y-block pattern bell housings are out there but I'd look for the ones for a car. Pickups with 292 in that era are operated and mounted differently.

The early MEL bell housing pattern through 1960 is same as the FE. This would include the 383, 410, and early 430.

The 1959 Edsel Ranger with engine code A was listed as an optional 145-hp 223 I-6 combination but things weren't peachy for the marque's sales in 1959. The engine code C was the 200-hp 292 V8 and began as the standard engine for the Ranger line. The 223 has more off the line performance but the 292 would catch it pretty quick and had a good bit more torque than the 6.

The 292 engine mounts on the front and to the rear. The 223 mounts on the sides. The FE engines mount on the side as well but I don't know about the fit of the FE in the 223 mounting arrangement. The 59 Ranger should have a place for front engine mounting but I know very little about them except that they are similar to the Ford body set up. I'd look for a late 50s car engine just to get the mount and the bell housing if going Y-block. I prefer the FE myself but it pays to find someone that has done a swap. If the FE will bolt in then an SBF will likely bolt in as well.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-27-2021 at 04:54 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #8
KULTULZ

Well ...

There is a lot of speed equipment for the 223-262 and 240-300ci engines.

The 59 EDSEL also came through with the 292 FYB and 332-352 FE.

When you get a chance, get up under her and see if you can find any TRANS ID (or take several photos).

FOR ONE - https://cliffordperformance.net/stor...ories/ford-223
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #9
5851a

You can install a T85 later on after swap and keep the 3 on the tree.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:37 PM   #10
darrell

these transmissions were used in everything from a 6 to a 352.some would take a lot of abuse others not so much.used from 49 to 63.65 in canada some changes over the years but all bolted up.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #11
rotorwrench

259 trans has a rectangular side cover. T86 trans is a top loader with side shift. The T85 has a side cover that is curved on the bottom but sides and top are straight. All were used in the late 50s and some in the early 60s. The T85 is a stronger unit than the others.

The Pacer could have a 361 FE. This seems to be the one used for Edsels.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-27-2021 at 05:06 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #12
miker98038

Kind of off topic, but one more thought. A bit of hop up equipment like Kultulz’s link shows, and a year correct overdrive transmission might be a good alternative. You’d have to change the rear gears to take advantage of it. I don’t know what rear end Ford used in those, if they got the 9” it’s simple, if they used an earlier model parts might be a problem. But dropping down to a 3.9 or 4.11 rear gives a lot more “street” performance, and the o/d maintains the highway speeds. Still uses the column shift. Those parts are out there at a reasonable price (comparing to an engine swap now). If your lucky it would be basically a bolt in (trans crossmember) and you’d only need the correct driveshaft/yoke or shorten yours.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:41 PM   #13
Gene F

Edsels always seem like a heavy car to me. Will a 289/302 bolt up to the thing? To me a heavy car with a 6 will always be worth way less than something more normal like a 289 or a 351 Windsor.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #14
Brushwolf

Although there are ways to get around it with a 164t bellhousing and a longer pilot bushing, the SBF would normally require a longer trans input shaft.

Easiest to do would be an FE 352 360 390 (any year) with a 58-64 FE bellhousing, 58-60 driver side manifold. Existing trans will bolt to that w/o any issues.

Y block would also be fine, but hard to find a good runner and most you find will need a full rebuild on the engine.
Brushwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #15
1930artdeco

I actually second K's post. You may want to hop the 6 first and see how you like it-and the fact that you have a hopped up 6 will be really killer. You may want to even swap to a larger 300 engine, I know there are 6 cyl. speed forums out there, just can't remember where I found it.

Mike
Old 08-04-2021, 06:01 PM   #16
55blacktie

You'll probably spend as much money "hopping up" a six as you would spend on a V8, and still have a six. I would go with an FE. Swapping/modifying the driveshaft should be the least of your concerns.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:15 PM   #17
demingboy

Wow lots of things to think about. As I am not much of a fabricator I kinda like the idea of the overdrive transmission and hopping up the 6 banger. It would be kinda wild,wastful but wild lol. I mean who would do that right? Un bolt and bolt I can do.
Will check the tranny I have in it now just to see which one it is.
I had seen the links to speed equipment for the 6 and kinda passed on them,but may mull it over. Thing about it is a nice original Edsel in great shape. Bottom of the line when sold but loving the chrome. Just can,t get that anymore.
Old 08-05-2021, 04:31 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Post Re: engine swap

That site I gave was just a brief example of speed parts. I don't think you would want full length tube headers and such on a street engine. What I was trying to get across is that a six can be modified to run with the best of them. Maybe a cam change and 2V carb and intake and hotter IGN. No need to go hog wild.

And you can put it back to stock easily for resale value.

Just for an eight swap, the fuel line would have to be moved from the right side of the car to the left. Just one example. Unless you want a performance street car I see no need to go V8 unless you are prepared for the fabrication and expense.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
Old 08-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #19
demingboy

Makes perfect sense to me Kultulz. Probaly the way I will go. Thanks for taking the time!
Old 08-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #20
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: engine swap

Well, you are quite welcome. That is IMO of course. It is your car and you do what you decide is best for you and your wallet.

If you want a smooth driver, you might consider a later drive-train swap with FI and OD.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)