Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #21
Fordors

Default Re: The 1940 Ford Cutaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
I really enjoy stuff like this. Thanks for posting.
How about this display from the 1934 edition of the Century of Progress, Tony? As I mentioned here before Henry dragged his feet and didn't go to Chicago in 1933; but in 1934 this complete Fordor was displayed in cabinets for all to see. The series of photos show everything, for example a lower seat spring assembly was broken down to individual pieces, the radiator as tubes and plates (for the fins) etc. Those were the days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0048.jpg (85.7 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg scan0050.jpg (135.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 01-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #22
TonyM

Thanks Larry. I have seen that. That is really something.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:53 PM   #23
deuce_roadster

Here is a picture of the engine and trans we restored. If you go to my public albums you can see other pics of this.

deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 PM   #24
tubman

When I went to the University of Minnesota in 1961-62, there was a cutaway V8-60 of about this same quality in a hallway in the second floor of the Mechanical Engineering building. What ever happened to it, I have no idea. I would expect Ford made these for various exhibitions, etc. and when they were done with them, donated them to various educational institutions. When I was in high school, we had a beautiful set of folio size full color presentation books donated to the school by the local Chevrolet dealer. The one for 1957 had a very informative section on the new fuel-injected 283. These had clear plastic colored overlays that worked sort of like the cutouts on these Fords.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #25
TJ

There could have been more than one of these 40 chassis. In '39 and '40 there were two World's Fairs. One in New York and one at Treasure Island in California. Ford may have made one for each exhibition?
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #26
s nichols

corn fed - i think Dick Pearson got that chassis . he has some stuff in Randle but i didnt see it when i got a flathead motor from his son a couple years ago. last time i heard hes in Texas? he took the 32 cabro with him- the 39 is in Randle STEVE
s nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #27
jimalabam

Hate to burst you guys bubble, BUT when I was in High School 1951-55, In the auto shop lab was a 1936 Ford Chassis cut-a-way much the same as the posted 1940. The cut-a-way background colors on that chassis were medium green and the chassis had ALL White tires. After graduation never visited the school again, and don't know where the chassis originated from but after I became interested in old Fords, later checked to find that the chassis and the Auto Shop classes had not been at the school in years. Guess - this was a Ford promotion to schools for educational purposes. Funny so little is known of such chassis. Best regards, Jim Langley...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #28
jimalabam

Forgot to state, this was Jordan Vocational High School in Columbus, GA...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:25 PM   #29
35Rich

The Rest of the Story: 40 Ford Cutaway Chassis
I congratulate Rick Rennebohm on his magnificent restoration of the above 1940 Ford Cutaway Chassis and also to Ryan on his initial write-up on this piece.Mycorrespondence with Rick R during his restoration dealt mainly with the history of the piece during it’s time at ISU as I was the person who ‘discovered’ it as a significant Ford Motor artifact in 1994 when it was ultimately sold to Dick Pearson.There is however indeed, much that is known about the history of these Cutaway Chassis and why they were built, which I will outline very briefly below.
Based on information in the ‘V8 Times’ the bi-monthly publication of the Early Ford V8 Club of America and also the ‘Famous Ford V-8’s‘ book ( part of a series of books) by Lorin Sorensen, the Ford Motor Company built many of these Cutaways (engines, drive line components, and entire chassis), from Model T days through the early Ford V8 years for use in ‘Ford Mechanic’ schools as training devices.They were also used in various major shows, and also displayed at Ford dealers during the 1930’s. Some of these units migrated to various educational institutions following their usefulness to the Ford Motor Company. In the two sources mentioned above there are at least 20 photos with descriptions of such chassis or cutaway driveline units in the USA (also includes a 1932 Cutaway chassis unit shown in London with RH drive)! Although these Cutaway Chassis are considered ‘rare’ they are in fact well known to ‘Old Ford Guys’ who have an interest in this aspect of Ford Motor Company history.
So, thanks to the efforts of Rick Rennebohm, these beautifully crafted pieces of history are getting the recognition and exposure they deserve!Thanks.
Richard Grieve, President, Iowa Regional Group #145 EFV8 Club of America
35Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #30
35Rich

The Rest of the Story: 40 Ford Cutaway Chassis
I congratulate Rick Rennebohm on his magnificent restoration of the above 1940 Ford Cutaway Chassis and also to Ryan on his initial write-up on this piece.Mycorrespondence with Rick R during his restoration dealt mainly with the history of the piece during it’s time at ISU as I was the person who ‘discovered’ it as a significant Ford Motor artifact in 1994 when it was ultimately sold to Dick Pearson.There is however indeed, much that is known about the history of these Cutaway Chassis and why they were built, which I will outline very briefly below.
Based on information in the ‘V8 Times’ the bi-monthly publication of the Early Ford V8 Club of America and also the ‘Famous Ford V-8’s‘ book ( part of a series of books) by Lorin Sorensen, the Ford Motor Company built many of these Cutaways (engines, drive line components, and entire chassis), from Model T days through the early Ford V8 years for use in ‘Ford Mechanic’ schools as training devices.They were also used in various major shows, and also displayed at Ford dealers during the 1930’s. Some of these units migrated to various educational institutions following their usefulness to the Ford Motor Company. In the two sources mentioned above there are at least 20 photos with descriptions of such chassis or cutaway driveline units in the USA (also includes a 1932 Cutaway chassis unit shown in London with RH drive)! Although these Cutaway Chassis are considered ‘rare’ they are in fact well known to ‘Old Ford Guys’ who have an interest in this aspect of Ford Motor Company history.
So, thanks to the efforts of Rick Rennebohm, these beautifully crafted pieces of history are getting the recognition and exposure they deserve!Thanks.
Richard Grieve, President, Iowa Regional Group #145 EFV8 Club of America
35Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #31
Bill

To refresh this post this chassis was on display at the Grand National Roadster Show in L.A. this past weekend. Unfortunately I was not there! The display claimed it was chassis #1 produced for the 1939 World's Fair. I got this info from a blog that appears three times a week written by rodder Lynn Pew. Visit his site www.pewsplace.com Visit his 1/26 blog and scroll down till you see the chassis. Always something of interest as Lynn has lived the dream for 65 years. Funny how these things keep showing up ain't it! Bill in Fl. for awhile....
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #32
englishdavid

Got to see this at the GNRS last weekend, it was stunning.
englishdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #33
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishdavid View Post
Got to see this at the GNRS last weekend, it was stunning.
Amen. A rare piece of eye candy!!!! My hats off to Rick Rennebohm for preserving that artifact with such a quality restoration. Well done......
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #34
BrianCT

Here are some close-ups from the GNRS.
What a great show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01895.jpg (91.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01897.jpg (87.4 KB, 159 views)
Old 01-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #35
Bill

To bend this thread a little...assuming you could locate a decent rolling chassis in the 5K range what would it cost to duplicate a similar example? Would the process used be much different than 1939? Would modern technology make it simpler. Have I been sitting out in the sun too long.... Bill in Fl.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:34 AM   #36
4tford

Is there a way to save the full size pics to my computer??
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #37
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tford View Post
Is there a way to save the full size pics to my computer??
Sort of. If you right click on the image and select "inspect element" then look at the code (normally near or above the highlighted line) for a link that ends in ".jpeg" or ".jpg". If you right click on that and select "Open link in new tab", the image should appear as a separate entity. Then you can right click on that image and save it to your computer.

As your request is for personal use only, not reposting, hopefully Ryan should have no objections.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:31 PM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Sort of. If you right click on the image and select "inspect element" then look at the code (normally near or above the highlighted line) for a link that ends in ".jpeg" or ".jpg". If you right click on that and select "Open link in new tab", the image should appear as a separate entity. Then you can right click on that image and save it to your computer.

As your request is for personal use only, not reposting, hopefully Ryan should have no objections.

Mart.
That's interesting, all I have to do is right click and select save as.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #39
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That's interesting, all I have to do is right click and select save as.
As JSeery states.......RIGHT click and "Save As" will save it.

BUT, if you first LEFT click on the image to enlarge it, and then RIGHT click and "Save As", the "saved" image will have been saved in a larger format. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #40
Mart

Our computers must be set up differently.

When I click on the first image in the blog page, it comes up with a nice big image, but I can't save that. it's part of a set of pictures and clicking on it takes you to the next pic.

As the poster was asking about saving the image, I assumed his must be like mine, and an obvious method of saving wasn't available.

It must be easier with some computer setups than others.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote