Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #101
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: Yes, they are still out there NUMBER 2

Ken, went to O'Rielly's and picked up the rebuild kits for about 3 dollars each, that work well, thanks for advice. Came back and installed and assembled the both front wheel cylinders and put all parts back on one of the drivers side hubs.
Photos of before and after front brake work.

After rebuild of wheel cylinder

I think I will go ahead and remove the master cylinder and clean up and replace parts, then only will have to flush lines well to insure I have some brakes. Still have to remove the stuck hub!
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #102
Vic Piano

Lookin' good Bruce!
Old 08-18-2014, 08:45 PM   #103
Bruce in southern OH

Finished the drives side rear wheel Brakes, put hub on and adjusted brakes. Brake lines still disconnected from all wheels, started removing the master cylinder and will get rebuild kit tomorrow after I find out the bore size. Going to take air compressor and blow lines out sense I now am removing the master cylinder.
Using up the paint cans I have around the garage, looks like circus came to town!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #104
Tinker

Nice work
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #105
Bruce in southern OH

Ken, everyone, have three wheels now with brakes, rebuilt Master Brake Cylinder today. Going to put tires on car this evening and roll out of garage. I might place car back on one set of jack stands and start in gear and use the one rear brake to see if the clutch will un-stick the clutch?!. Also I am going to move car side to side and see if the rear passenger hub will come loose. MY QUESTION for this evening is: Are there two types of oil required for the Columbia and one for the rear end?? What weight for them??? Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #106
Ken/Alabama

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The rear end and columbia takes the same oil. Most but not all Columbia units have separate fill hole. Since the Zephyr has a hypoid type rear , use the fill hole in the rear end. 90 weight is what I use .
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #107
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce in southern OH View Post
I might place car back on one set of jack stands and start in gear and use the one rear brake to see if the clutch will un-stick the clutch?!.
The ONE rear brake probably won't accomplish what you're trying to do because of the differential gears. The OTHER (un-braked) wheel will probably continue to spin along with the DRIVESHAFT. The driveshaft is the part that needs to stop suddenly to make this "clutch un-stick" procedure have a chance of working. Instead, maybe try the procedure by applying the well-adjusted parking brake. That way, both drums (and the driveshaft) should stop abruptly. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #108
Bruce in southern OH

Ken, everyone, I went to O'Reilly's this morning to pick up 90# gear oil, found a very good transfer pump also. While I was gone I let the rear end and transmission drain. Received a V8/V12 Service Bulletin Book yesterday, its say 2 1/2 pints for transmission and 5 1/2 pints for rear end, worked perfect, emptied the gallon and both full to check plug.
V8, I changed course after oil change this morning, was going to use new transfer pump to empty the old gas from tank. All I got was a very dirty hose. Removing old steel gas line and hope to get tank out, thanks Bruce
rebuilt master cylinder

Transfer pump

Numbers on the Columbia, any info from numbers, let me know

Cleanup and found fill information
Old 08-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #109
Ken/Alabama

Bruce, I would use the larger hole in the banjo housing to refill, notice its a little higher. Lots of Columbias that came on the Zephyr did not have the extra fill hole on the Columbia unit. Thats because the Zephyrs having the Hypoid type rear axle and the Fords did not. Just in case you dont know, to get the tank out you will need to unscrew the filler neck from the tank. It takes a spanner wrench but mine would not budge. I wound up using a pipe wrench and whacked it with a hammer to break it loose. Dont forget to put in a new lead washer when you reinstall the neck.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #110
Gumpy

Bruce -I love the look of that V-12, someone is looking over ya on that purchase!!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:09 PM   #111
Bruce in southern OH

Ken, one QUESTION, do I have to have tank free of gas tank mounting bolts and remove tire to turn the filler tube, I did get the inside splash fender out. Also found the only spanner wrench I have that fits the hole in the collar of fill tube.
inside fender splash screw, one of two, looking at top one, who thought that up at factory!

Fill tube inside fender well before inter fender splash removed
Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 PM   #112
JSeery
Member Emeritus

"inside fender splash screw, one of two, looking at top one, who thought that up at factory!"
Now how old is the car and how long did it last? I think they did OK! Not sure what the design goals were, but most likely not more that 20 years tops and probably much less. So, I would say the engineers were way over designing these cars because they have out lived their intended life span several times over LOL.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:16 PM   #113
Ken/Alabama

One you get the filler neck removed and the bolts holding the tank to the frame, dont forget to remove the fuel line and the sending unit wire. There is an access cover in the trunk floor to get to the sending unit. Once its all loose you will find its still quite a challenge to get the tank out. You will have to slide the tank to one side as far as it will go and then force the other side past the lip of the frame. Im thinking if you slide it hard to the drivers side it will give a tad more clearance than the other way . You will swear it will not come out but you just have to hit the right combination!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #114
38Tudor

Wow!!! Great find! I'm sure you will have fun with that one. What a great story.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #115
Bruce in southern OH

Ken, everyone, thanks for info, it was a great day in the Neighborhood as Mr. Rogers would say. Went to friends house/garage this morning and picked up a lathe that I traded for over a year ago, it is now at my garage.
Next went to unload lathe and big rain storm came and I went in garage to check on my gas fill tube pipe. I cut up an old inner tube yesterday and took a hose clamp and made a sock around fill tube and filled with motor oil and PB blaster (did not have any automatic transmission fluid). Removed the inner tube and wiped off oil and tried my spanner wrench, just a little hammer action and it was loose, GREAT!!! Next I found that the fill tube would not come out. Next removed the gas gauge wire, the three bolts from tank ( lost some skin on those ). Next moved tank to passenger side and got fill tube out, double GREAT. Last but not least I found just the right spot and tank came right OUT!! Soaked in sweat and Pennsylvania dirt I went home, now to find a radiator shop to clean the fill tube and tank, I will seal with a POR product, again thanks for info, BJ
lathe for my use

39 tank and fill tube, looks like minor rust and dirt,

side view of tank and filler tube
Old 08-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #116
Bruce in southern OH

Took gas tank and gas fill tube to local radiator shop, told would be about a week. They are going to place tank in a large tank and soak, remove and place in a hot bath of un know material then dry. After drying they will apply red coating material, will have to cure for 48 hours, told cost is going to be $150.00. POR products alone would be 50 plus dollars, I have found that the material for coating takes about double amount they suggest. I have even cut tanks open, sand blasted and then painted and it uses every bit of product and that is wiping can out bare. Good thing about radiator shop coating inside of tank is that they almost flood tank and that helps coat the back side of the baffles. Will post photos of tank and tube as soon as I receive back.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:21 PM   #117
mfagan

Very interesting reading and great explanations!

I know you're having fun!!
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM   #118
Bruce in southern OH

Ordered two electric fuel pumps today, 2 - 4 psi. AIRTEX E8902, 6 volt, Pumps will work pos. or neg. to ground, (just swap the two wires around). I also ordered two 6 volt relays, TE CONNECTIVITY / POTTER & BRUMFIELD - 1432873-1 - AUTOMOTIVE RELAY, SPDT, 6VDC, 40A. Will install one pump and relay on the 39 LZ and install the other on pickup truck. I plan on controlling relay with column on/off switch and fuse the pump. Talked to Don P. this evening for advice and he is running his stock mechanical pump and an additional toggle switch in electric pump circuit to prime car after it sets for awhile, he even has a small light to tell him pump is running. Purchased from Amazon.com, should be here Thursday or Friday.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 AM   #119
BILL WZOREK

Hey Bruce:
You better recheck that last bolt,
I don't think you got it tight enough. LOL
I love this step by step explnations of what you are doing, it really makes me feel I am there with you,

NO / No Really go check that last bolt ~~~
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:04 AM   #120
Vic Piano

Hi Bruce,
if you are planning on running the electric fuel pumps as secondary/auxiliary pumps, try to get diaphragms for the stock pumps, that are known to be impervious to the harmful effects of ethanol gas on rubber components in the fuel system. Should the stock pump experience diaphragm failure, the electric pump will put fuel into the crankcase... Not a good thing!