Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
lenmissy

Default 12 volt batteries

What is the best 12 volt battery to buy and how do you maintain it through the long cold winter len.
lenmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Tudorp

Default Re: 12 volt batteries

I need to see what the battery is in my old 53 Shoebox. It is the same one that was in it when I bought it. I live in Michigan, and store my 53 in the winter, and the old girl sat though one of the hardest winters Michigan has seen in decades. It was single digit temps, many sub zero for weeks at a time, never to rise above single digits. Snow and ice all over the damn place. I was figuring I would have to put the charger on it for awhile to get it back out, but a couple weeks ago, (still below freezing temps) put the key in, and the old girl fired right up like I been driving her all winter. I thought for sure the battery would have been dead, frozen, and probably needing replacement. But, weathered the storm, and good to go.. I'll take a look and see what kind it is, because when I need another, I will certainly try and find another the same. (I might note that my 53 is upgraded to 12v negitive ground system though).
Tudorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
19Fordy

Jonson Controls http://deals.woot.com/questions/deta...ries-in-the-us makes most of the car batteries. I have had good luck with Wal-Mart batteries plus a battery tender. Buy one with the highest cold cranking amps as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2593 (Small).jpg (71.1 KB, 29 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Marv

I have had the best luck with Duralast batteries you buy at Autozone and as already mentioned use a battery tender. Autozone also sells them
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Ford coupe

Maybe get in trouble for saying this on this site but the best is AC Delco.The one in my 03 Impala lasted 11 yrs and the replacement from W Mt is going dead after a year So there you have it my dimes worth..
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
tiquer

Also Motorcraft is good Haha
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
paul2748

I got Wal-Mart batteries in three cars, a 312 54 Ford, 48 Ford with 302 and my wife's Ford 500.

None of these have given me any problems. The one in the 54 is about 4 yrs old, the 48 about three and the 500 about a year.

On the old cars, all I do during the winter is disconnect the battery, maybe start and run both once or twice during winter storage.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
cmbrucew

Most of the premium batteries (die hard, Napa's 72 month, and O'reilly's premium) are made by Exide. Maybe others as well.
Where ever you get the best discount.

Bruce

Works good
Lasts long time
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:30 AM   #9
JWL
Member Emeritus

Optima. Or, if extreme service is expected get an Odessey. (spelling??)
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
4tfred

Newer Optima batteries are now apparently made in Mexico. You might check Amazon and read poster's feedback there to get an idea of satisfaction.
I changed my mind on Optimas and bought an Exide made battery from Costco.
4tfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
AnthonyG

I've had good luck with several gel type sealed batteries, ( clean, no damage to metal, no leakage or seepage ) Optima with 800 CCA is what I've used in my 442, several street rods and now my '35 Tudor. kept on trickle charge when not using frequently and have never had a problem. Oldest is 6 yrs oLd in the 442 and still cranking.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
waterboychuck

Whatever battery you buy just make sure that you buy and use a battery maintainer which puts a float voltage on your battery. My best example is in my boat where I have 3 batteries (2 for the trolling motor and 1 for starting) and they all have maintainers on them and this year the boat turns 10 years old.

I am also a retired telephone company employee where I had the job of maintaining the batteries in some remote sites. The oldest set that I worked on was installed in 1990 and they use the same type of maintainer as in your car except much larger.

Just my 2 cents.

Chuck
waterboychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford coupe View Post
Maybe get in trouble for saying this on this site but the best is AC Delco.The one in my 03 Impala lasted 11 yrs and the replacement from W Mt is going dead after a year So there you have it my dimes worth..
X2. Just replaced the original AC Delco in my van after 12 years. It just sat there for the entire time, no maintainer, no nothing. Also, the van sits outside and doesn't get driven in the winter. Needless to say, I bought another ACD - the highest CCA available in my size.