Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
36 CS

Default 41 business opera seats

I have a 41 business coupe that was stripped when I purchased. It had no seats front or rear. I have purchased the seats but I do not know which way the opera seats fold up. Do they fold to the side or to the back. Their is no indication which way or if they were mounted at all. I am sure some of my fellow Barners have such a car. Thanks for your help in advance. W.L. Donald
36 CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
fottyjs

Default Re: 41 business opera seats

I recently saw a picture of a 41 and the seats folded back...unlike the 40....
fottyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
cmbrucew

DSCF6424.jpgHere is one
cmbrucew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Straightpipes

My 41 Business coupe had a package tray in back of the front seat....
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
36 CS

I believe their was two ways the business coupe came , one was with the package tray, the other was the opera seats. I think originally mine probably had the shelf, however I wanted the seats and was able to find them. I am not trying to win any awards and the car probably will never be judged. I had an old Nissan with small seats behind the main seat and they faced each other. I Thought these might do the same. That is not the case from what I am seeing and hearing from some of you that has seen them or have them. I will install them like the picture shows. Thanks a lot guys for heading me in the right direction.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
BL in NH

A little off the path, but you said you purchased the seats; can I ask if it was a private sale, parts supplier junk yard, E-Bay? The reason I ask is that I have a 41 Super Deluxe Club Coupe, (long door) and I need the rear seat assembly. Thanks
BL in NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Joe Immler

Check your floor board for mounting holes. I was told that Ford pre drilled the holes. My '41 had the holes. Ford produced 12,844 DeLuxe coupes and 10,796 Super DeLuxe coupes with these seats. Once you install the seats your car will now officially be a coupe "With Auxiliary Seats." Opera seat is an often used but inaccurate description. Also, on the back panel there is a padded back rest panel the goes from side wall to side wall. Le Baron Bonney has all of the items you will need. Behind the back rest is a small recessed package shelf.
The 1940 seats folded inward toward the center of the car. The 1941 seats folded forward . This was because the 1941 body was wider and taller than the 1940. 1941 was the last year for these seats
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
36 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL in NH View Post
A little off the path, but you said you purchased the seats; can I ask if it was a private sale, parts supplier junk yard, E-Bay? The reason I ask is that I have a 41 Super Deluxe Club Coupe, (long door) and I need the rear seat assembly. Thanks
I picked mine off ebay, nice set with great springs in the seat and the folding springs [cost was $299.00 plus the ride]
Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #9
1936ford64

BL in N. H. I have a fold up rear seat from a long door coupe , but more importantly where is this wrecking yard that has 1941 Ford parts cars.
1936ford64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
4oldfords

I am looking at a 1941 business coupe - it is a non-split-back front seat that folds up to get to your "business" - I have two small kids (3 & 5) that I would like to be able to travel with. What would it take to convert to fold up rear seat. Is it a "bolt on" conversion?

any ideas?

any help appreciated!!
4oldfords is offline   Reply With Quote