Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
Brian SATX

Default Model A Wheel Colors powder coating

Any one done business with this Washington State company lately. I know for a while it seemed like there was a communication problem.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
jwilliams81

Default Re: Model A Wheel Colors powder coating

They redesigned their webpage... interesting.

I would look elsewhere. After 2 months of inaction on the company's behalf I went through the proper PayPal procedure to get a refund. I got the states attorney general involved as well. The company never answered the attorney general either.

I would caution you, but I am not against giving people second chances.
jwilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
Big hammer

I would look up someone close to you, mom/pop business!
I had 6 wheels done for 263$
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Barber31

I've used Eagle Creek Powder Coating in La Vernia,Tx. It's right down the road from me but 30 min from San Antonio. He charges $125-$150 per wheel. Includes Blasting, paint, clear coat. It's a mom & pop shop. I try to support small businesses whenever I can.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Always amazing how these threads get side-tracked!!

To answer you specifically, No I have not done business with Mr. Green for many years but I can assure you I had major issues dealing with him a decade or so ago.

Since we are going off target here, one of the things that he did have going for him a long time ago was he was having Tiger Drylac blend colors for him that matched the Paint & Refinish Guide pretty accurately. From my perspective, if he is no longer having colors matched to the P&RG, then using normal Tiger Drylac colors will suffice, ...and like mentioned above, you can have it done locally (which I suspected you were only looking to buy the powder product in Washington). Some people really don't care how authentic their wheel colors are.

Ohh and FWIW, you probably can have your wheels sprayed with a good quality 2K urethane for about the same amount as having them powder painted, and the durability and the longevity will be about the same.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
wrndln

After having 2 sets of rims powdercoated for my vehicles, I am thinking of painting the next set. The problem I had with powdercoating was trying to fill curb dings and other minor rim damage with J B Weld on the rims before powdercoating. J B Weld is supposedly good up to 600 degree. Even though I told the powdercoaters (two different places) to bake them at the lowest allowable temperature to minimize the risk of messing up the J B Weld I used to fill the dings, the J B Weld still "sagged" some. If you paint the rims, regular body filler would work just fine, as high temperature wouldn't be a problem.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
d.j. moordigian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
After having 2 sets of rims powdercoated for my vehicles, I am thinking of painting the next set. The problem I had with powdercoating was trying to fill curb dings and other minor rim damage with J B Weld on the rims before powdercoating. J B Weld is supposedly good up to 600 degree. Even though I told the powdercoaters (two different places) to bake them at the lowest allowable temperature to minimize the risk of messing up the J B Weld I used to fill the dings, the J B Weld still "sagged" some. If you paint the rims, regular body filler would work just fine, as high temperature wouldn't be a problem.
Rusty Nelson
http://www.eastwood.com/hi-temp-lab-...FU6Vfgoddt0MQw
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #8
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: Small Town Local Businesses:

Anyone ever hear something like, "This doctor really performed an impossible miracle .... and to think, he is only a small town doctor!"

Small town local businesses of any kind are so much like small town Country Doctors.

In a small town, not only does everybody know everybody, but they also know minute family details like the names of everyone's small town dogs, cats and horses.

If a small town Powder Coating Company screws up just one (1) project and does not correct the problem ..... it is really time for him to pack his bags and move on ..... everybody knows about it and they will never ever trust him.

On the other hand, if a big city dentist incorrectly extracts the wrong tooth, many do not know their neighbors right across the street, word is never spread around, and this absent minded and careless big city dentist can totally screw up people's mouths for eternity.

Next ad observed for any type of services in any small town, just call to ask the local small town bar tender whether or not to try this person .... anyone in this bar most probably will be able to give excellent advice ..... and also tell you the name of this guy's dog.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
FWIW: Small Town Local Businesses:

Anyone ever hear something like, "This doctor really performed an impossible miracle .... and to think, he is only a small town doctor!"

Small town local businesses of any kind are so much like small town Country Doctors.

In a small town, not only does everybody know everybody, but they also know minute family details like the names of everyone's small town dogs, cats and horses.

If a small town Powder Coating Company screws up just one (1) project and does not correct the problem ..... it is really time for him to pack his bags and move on ..... everybody knows about it and they will never ever trust him.

On the other hand, if a big city dentist incorrectly extracts the wrong tooth, many do not know their neighbors right across the street, word is never spread around, and this absent minded and careless big city dentist can totally screw up people's mouths for eternity.

Next ad observed for any type of services in any small town, just call to ask the local small town bar tender whether or not to try this person .... anyone in this bar most probably will be able to give excellent advice ..... and also tell you the name of this guy's dog.
haha can agree 100%. Always always always check BBB and any online reviews of a place before having them do work. Granted the exception is this:

a small town someone may have had awful service and they spread the word and noone goes there - BUT it all depends on who had the awful service - the guy thats shady and wants everything for free or the well respected car guy in town. Same goes for online reviews, you may not know the person but generally by just reading their complaint you get an idea of what kind of person they are. Now if multiple people complain about the same thing(s) generally not everyone is wrong....
Old 05-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

Couple of months ago I brought a one(1) man shop operation guy, (maybe 45 years old), (5) very rusty and very pitted original 19" Model A wire wheels after I had straightening all spokes and rims to perfection.

Used a custom shaped hard wood vee block with a "C" clamp to straighten spokes .... no hammers.

Told him the Tiger Drylac color I wanted; but, he ordered what he said was same powder at half price from where he says is the same place where Tiger Drylac gets their powder.

He sand blasted all (5), primed all (5), and built up powder coating very smoothly inside rims and on rims and on spokes to where they all look like new wheels with no pits.

FWIW: Cost $80.00 each for 5 = $400.00 total. Paid him cash.

He is definitely a most knowledgeable perfectionist and very proud of his work.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:33 AM   #11
Bruce of MN

More info here: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...er#post1275222
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote