Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
JHFORD51

Default 1939 ford radio

Does anybody know if the Philco and Zenith boxes are interchangeable with each others control head? There doesn't seem to be much to the control head (electrically) so maybe they are?

V/R
Jason
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
jerry grayson

Default Re: 1939 ford radio

No, completly different.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
sturgis 39

When I bought my 39 two door standard there were two radios in with some other parts. I have no idea where the control knobs go or where to mount the radio. There are holes in the side of the cowl for the antenna. Does somebody have pictures?

Thanks

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
JHFORD51

I have a seen a picture of the Motorola radio and it looks similar to a 39 Merc radio I saw once, definately electronics in the head and interchangeable with nothing. What is the difference in the 39 Ford Zenith and Philco boxes that would not allow them to interchange with each other's control heads? Each box appears to have a cable drive for station selection and a rectangular 6 pin connector for power, volume, sound, etc. These components seem to be oriented and located in similar locations between the two boxes. I realize the Zenith box differs in internal component locations than the Philco but the interface with the control head appears similar/same.

I see Zenith boxes for sale regularly but not that much Philco, which is what I have and need parts for. I rarely see control heads for either.

To the poster who asked about mounting, these are two piece units; the "box" mounts on the firewall (inside the car) sort of under the voltage regulator area with two large bolts (one for Motorola) and the "head" mounts in the dash. Factory installed radios had the aerial centered above the windshield while dealer installed radios often had the aerial mouned on the side of the cowl (no need to mess with headliner this way.)
Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Marv

One difference between the 2 radios is that the control cables are different. One has a male end and the other has a female end. This is some thing anyone can see, but i know nothing about the internals. I am not a radio man. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHFORD51 View Post
I have a seen a picture of the Motorola radio and it looks similar to a 39 Merc radio I saw once, definately electronics in the head and interchangeable with nothing. What is the difference in the 39 Ford Zenith and Philco boxes that would not allow them to interchange with each other's control heads? Each box appears to have a cable drive for station selection and a rectangular 6 pin connector for power, volume, sound, etc. These components seem to be oriented and located in similar locations between the two boxes. I realize the Zenith box differs in internal component locations than the Philco but the interface with the control head appears similar/same.

I see Zenith boxes for sale regularly but not that much Philco, which is what I have and need parts for. I rarely see control heads for either.

To the poster who asked about mounting, these are two piece units; the "box" mounts on the firewall (inside the car) sort of under the voltage regulator area with two large bolts (one for Motorola) and the "head" mounts in the dash. Factory installed radios had the aerial centered above the windshield while dealer installed radios often had the aerial mouned on the side of the cowl (no need to mess with headliner this way.)
Thanks for the reply about the mounting. Where does the speaker mount or is it in the radio?

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Marv

Smile Re: 1939 ford radio

The speaker is mounted on the head of the radio. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
JHFORD51

Thanks for the tip about the cables.