Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #21
true blue 32 man

Default Re: Hand Throttle use?

Hello As for using throttle for a cruise control. I don't know about the later years, but on the 32, you can pull the knob out, then turn the knob counter clockwise and it wil engage a ball bearing/spring clip on the backside of the throtle rod that will lock the thottle so that it won't slowly return. Many of the 32's are rusted and don't work. A bead blasting and replacing the ball bearing will make them operate like new. The only problem is on hills they dont compensate for the uphii and down hill grades. But on the flat roads they work great as a cruise control. Don't know if the 33 and up have this feature but in my mind 32's are the greatest. Happy V8ing guys.
true blue 32 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #22
wildirishtime

resurrecting - should a 1936 flathead TuDor hand throttle have friction or not? If yes, HOW do you adjust/repair that friction? Mine is NOT currently friction, so SEEMINGLY useless for warming up a car or 'cruise control' as previously mentioned.
wildirishtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:44 PM   #23
MGG

In my teenage years, I helped my grandfather bring in hay bales from the field. In the 1940 Ford truck, I pulled a bale loader which threw the bales up on the flatbed where a crew of 4 placed and stacked the bales for the trip to the barn. It was very important to keep a steady speed in order to not knock the crew off of their feet while wrestling the heavy hay bales. This was impossible to do with the foot throttle in a bumpy field. The hand throttle solved this problem. Now days I find it handy, as does 47COE, in starting out on an uphill grade.
MGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:50 PM   #24
Tienmac

On our farm trucks we would engage the PTO to operate the pump on the hydraulic hoist for the grain box. We would speed up the motor with the hand throttle for faster hoist operation. Once done unloading a load of grain, we had to remember to disengage the PTO so you would not over speed the PTO when driving the truck down the road. I never used the hand throttle for cruise control. My 51 F-1 doesn't have a hand throttle so I use a little choke to increase engine speed for faster warm up and to let the generator charge the battery.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:41 PM   #25
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishtime View Post
resurrecting - should a 1936 flathead TuDor hand throttle have friction or not? If yes, HOW do you adjust/repair that friction? Mine is NOT currently friction, so SEEMINGLY useless for warming up a car or 'cruise control' as previously mentioned.
What I did with mine was put a cable tie on its dash rubber grommet extension behind the dash. Tightening the cable tie squashed the rubber onto the throttle shaft and that provides all the friction you need.

Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:20 AM   #26
tiger.1000

Use it as a cruise control and sooner or later the first responders will be at your side !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #27
fourspeedwagon

Used to pull it out just so much, then climb in the back and pitch hay off for the cows. Just have to jump out and get to the cab before you reach the end of the pasture. Now I just use it to rev the engine to run the pto/ dump bed.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #28
cas3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Use it as a cruise control and sooner or later the first responders will be at your side !
i guess you have never driven a model T or a farm tractor that has nothing else but the hand throttle ! its not any different from any other controls on a vehicle, you are supposed to be the operator, so pay attention
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:26 PM   #29
drolston

Grew up in a small town with very steep hills. My teenage nightmare was having someone pull up close behind while stopped on one of those hills. Particularly in my $95 '35 coupe that would often stumble off idle. I learned the value of the hand throttle. So much so that I went to the trouble of putting the 3 97's on my current dream car on 2" risers, so I could invert the progressive linkage and preserve the hand throttle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Powhatan-20141214-00173.jpg (70.3 KB, 26 views)
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote