Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
1928Tudor

Default Problems with light Rod Switch

Driving my car tonight, I noticed when I have headlights turn on, they turn off as I turn left and right. However, if I have parking lights turned on, doesn't appear to have the same issue. I was reading the issue might be the light rod bushing needs to either be added (in the case its not there) or replaced. Any good way to determine based on my description?
1928Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
jleydon

Default Re: Problems with light Rod Switch

Here are the four things you can do – all require removing the horn rod ….. easy on a roadster, phaeton or cabriolet where you can put down the top for clearance, otherwise you need to loosen or drop the steering box and allow the column to swing down. (Might even need to remove the front seat if it’s a Tudor, Fordor or wagon):

1. drill or file out the first few inches of the shaft where the horn rod goes through the upper steering column & clean shaft & check for straightness

2. grind a small notch in the base of the light switch thumb lever if it is binding on the raised lip of the steering wheel

3. grind and polish (or sand) places where you can see a bind between the horn rod and the Bakelite when you turn the wheel. Also consider block sanding and polishing the raised lip of the wheel.

4. thread washer(s) onto the horn rod so that they create spacers between the horn rod/light switch and the steering wheel nut. For this, use the ultra thin distributor washers – only one or two. (You don’t want to significantly pull the rod away from the contact dimples in the cup).

One or more of these should work!
jleydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Isn't that is the reason that Ford supplied a small flanged brass bushing to fit into the top of the steering shaft to prevent rotation?

Larry
Old 10-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Isn't that is the reason that Ford supplied a small flanged brass bushing to fit into the top of the steering shaft to prevent rotation?

Larry
Yes, that fixed the problem on a car I worked on.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote