Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
47 flatbed

Default 41 vs 40 pick up hoods

After some reading here I realize I have an original 41 hood on our truck but have a 40 brace for latch. Does the 6 cyl latch assemble work. I think there is a partial piece on nasty cobbled up original piece I could use for reference I guess. Any thoughts.
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
oldrelics

Default Re: 41 vs 40 pick up hoods

The '41 latch design(further ahead in nose of hood) needs to correspond with the '41 upper grille support(latch bar further ahead). I've seen a few hoods that have beed converted to the '40 design because the '40 upper grille support is available reproduction. I'm not sure however which linkage would work from the release handle to the latch......

PS -I have an extra '41 latch if you need.
oldrelics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
TomT/Williamsburg

Of all the 40-41 pickups (and a bunch of 39s mixed in there as well but that's a different animal) I've parted out, they have all had the same 40 styled (like the car) latch system. I recently noticed a for sale on a 41 latch advertised here on the 'Barn. It certainly looked different. The hood I'm putting on my present 40 p-up project is a 41 hood and I contemplated buying it until I noticed, after a hard look at the pic, it does not look like it will work with the 40 styled grill latch top piece ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
TJ

The 41 pickup hood latch assembly(upper and lower pieces) are unique to the 41 pickup and 41 sedan delivery. It's a one year only situation due to the introduction of the 6 cylinder motor. The latch assembly was moved forward to accommodate the radiator being moved forward. In addition the front crossmember has a deeper drop to accommodate the 6 cylinder.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
47 flatbed

Looks like I'm in for some swap meet hunting, or some fabrication. The hood has all the assembly pieces. Ordered the upper grill support not realizing that the 41 is unique.
47 flatbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
landshark

Was in same boat put ad on wanted for a 40 t brace barner replied sandblasted and primed last nite install tonite good luck
landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Roger/Sacramento

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
The 41 pickup hood latch assembly(upper and lower pieces) are unique to the 41 pickup and 41 sedan delivery. It's a one year only situation due to the introduction of the 6 cylinder motor. The latch assembly was moved forward to accommodate the radiator being moved forward. In addition the front crossmember has a deeper drop to accommodate the 6 cylinder.
My'41 pickkup was originally a 6 cylinder. I changed my hood latch to a cable setup. It was a lot of work but, I like it. Also I changed the hood ornament to a '40 style. The radiator was installed as with a standard V8 location.

http://s818.photobucket.com/home/roglehr/index
Roger/Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote