Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
jan bogert

Question oil detergant or non det.

no oil filter, '41/42 flathead stock it was flushed out need to oil change, detergant or non det. what do ya think?
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
46ford

Default Re: oil detergant or non det.

Flushed out? Did you drop the pan and clean it out? If so, modern oil should be OK.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
jan bogert

not sure, when i got it took out the drain plug, and a cleaning agent ONLY came out about a pint of it. when i took off the intake, and heads it was super clean inside
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Brendan

when i took the oil pan off my 36 it took me 2 hr to clean it out! the motor that i had in my truck was worn out, so i ran Castro oil 20-50 because i had no oil presser. ran it that way for 2 years and had no trouble

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
46ford

I always drop the pan and clean it before running an engine. These engines get an amazing amount of sludge over the years. I've heard horror stories about detergent oil breaking crud loose etc but not sure if they're true.

I dropped the pan in my '46 with the engine in the car... not too bad of a job. And you get to replace the pan gasket too... I hate leaks!
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
paul2748

Go with detergent. Might as well use the best. 20/50 Castrol or 15/40 Rotella T.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #7
Barry WNY

The screen in the pickup is so important. I have one that is plugged with varnish. Clean the pan & replace the screen, you can tell if it's sludged. If so go non detergent. My brother & I Got a cheap Corvair did a "real good" oil change on the gunky motor, was toast in 3 days, shoulda stayed with recycled ND as was used to.
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #8
flatjack9

Absolutely use detergent oil.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Forddraggin

The Flathead im running in my car now is a 52,and when i got it i took oil pan off and got all the sludge cleaned out,cleaned the oil pump pickup screen and put all new seals in motor.After all that i filled up with 15-40 motorcraft oil.I have had good oil pressure and no problems since and have put around 5,000 mile on it.I made sure that after i put a 100 or 200 miles on it i changed because there is still sludge that will break down.I have several cases of non-detergent but chose not to use.
Forddraggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
jkeesey

Unless you pull the pan I wouldn't use detergent, especially without a filter.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #11
[email protected]

Detergent or Nondetergent has been the most hashed over question on the forum sites. You'll never get a definitive answer to the question. You have to understand that the people on the Ford Barn are all experts and still they can't give a definitive answer. One guy will have a valid answer for running nondetergent and the guy standing next to him will present as good an argument for running detergent. This debate has been going on since the invention of multiple viscosity detergent oil. The answer is; make your own decision on what you think is right based on whatever knowledge you can glean from your resources and you'll never be wrong.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:37 AM   #12
Old Henry

In case some don't know the difference between detergent and non-detergent oils:

Detergent Motor Oil

Motor oil detergents were introduced in the 1950s. The concept adjusts for the failings of oil filters by attaching to those particles too small to get caught in filters. Instead the detergent holds the particles in the oil so they don't deposit on engine parts and cause hot spots. These particles are what makes the oil turn darker. These tiny particles do not harm your engine. If the oil is used for too long, however, it gets saturated, can't hold any more particles, and, in short, can't do its job. Then the particles start sticking to the engine interior. Thus, flushing out old oil regularly helps maintain the cleaning process and the benefit of the detergents.

Non-Detergent Motor Oil

Given the emphasis on keeping engines clean, most dealers and mechanics use motor oil with detergent. It can be a challenge to find a place that does oil changes with non-detergent motor oils. Many of the common non-detergent oils are instead used in appliances that run on gas, such as lawnmowers and tractors. Two-stroke oil would be another common non-detergent oil, mainly used in engines in motorcycles and watercraft.

The Dark Oil Myth

Dark oil does not indicate the need for an oil change. The way modern detergent motor oil works is that minute particles of soot are suspended in the oil. These minute particles pose no danger to your engine, but they cause the oil to darken. A non-detergent oil would stay clearer than a detergent oil because all the soot would be left on the internal engine parts and would create sludge. If you never changed your oil, eventually the oil would no longer be able to suspend any more particles in the oil and sludge would form. Fortunately, by following the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval, you are changing your oil long before the oil has become saturated. Remember, a good oil should get dirty as it does it's work cleaning out the engine. The dispersant should stop all the gunk from depositing in the oil pan.

Read more: Detergent Vs. Non-Detergent Motor Oil |
http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Detergent

In all of my studies of oils the only logical reason I have ever heard for using non-detergent oil is when breaking in a new engine so that the metal particles being rubbed off of the surfaces during break-in do not suspend in the oil and cause further wear and damage to the engine and can be flushed out with the first oil change after a very short time. Otherwise, all that I understand indicates that detergent oil is best for the reasons given above. Such would seem especially so for an engine without a filter.

I think it is a myth that detergent oil breaks down sludge. Such myth probably comes from the idea that detergent we use in laundry etc. is to break dirt away from the surface it's stuck to. But, I have not read any actual scientific studies that supports such myth. As the above information explains, the detergent additive only causes a suspension of particles already in the oil; nothing I've read says anything about releasing particles (particularly sludge) from the surface of parts it's already stuck to. Sludge is what happens when you don't use detergent oil. Instead of the particles staying suspended in the oil and flushed out when it's drained, the particles stick to surfaces, particularly the oil pan. So, if you don't want sludge, use detergent oil and change it regularly. If you already have sludge, detergent oil is not going to "break it loose" or clean it out.

I had read that running kerosene through the engine can loosen sludge. I tried it. It may have loosened it a bit but there was just no substitute to scraping it off and out. (That was after my engine hadn't run for 31 years.)

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-17-2011 at 02:32 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
More Dust than Rust

I'm not sure the oil companies and their high dollar marketing campaigns are going to like that evaluation (although I agree). Seems like they all have a magic oil blend, and pictures to prove, that their oil will make an old engine like new inside. There actually is some science to it and standardized tests to determine how much deposits are formed in an engine that has large amounts of blowby intentionally introduced (to Prof. Henry's point of suspension). The science of "sludge" removal seems to be a thing of internal company tests and before and after pictures.

Are any of us going to be putting that many miles on these engines between oil changes that it really matters? I bet out of love and boredom most of the guys here change their oil way more often than the original owners would have even thought of and they were running much less efficient lubricants.

Like others have said, drop the pan, clean it out, maybe throw a coat of paint on it, replace the gasket and refill with whatever you feel comfortable with. Whatever winds up going in is going to be a better lubricant than some of the stuff your engine has likely had in it before.
More Dust than Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #14
JWL
Member Emeritus

Flatjack and Old Henry have it right. Detergent oil is the only logical choice. I like Valvoline but any, brand name, modern oil is much better than anything available when your engine was new. Each guy has his personal brand preference and it is not a point for argument.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
oldblue

Use detergent and change oil often . Oil is cheap engines cost.
Allan
oldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #16
Uncle Bob

[[email protected];325813]Detergent or Nondetergent has been the most hashed over question on the forum sites. You'll never get a definitive answer to the question. [QUOTE]

Disclaimer: Comments made here are not intended to embarass or attack any forum member in this thread or others of similar subject, just trying to be informative and use certain phrases as comparatives. Also might use a couple unfamiliar terms just to see if anyone takes the time to look them up to expand their vocabulary. (Yes, I'm feeling a bit devilish this morning)

Garrison is correct that this subject is "beat to death", here and elsewhere. The second sentence quoted is a product of internet annonmity. We don't always know the credentials of the poster. A definitively correct statement only has authority if the reader has the knowledge to recognize accurate from inaccurate. There have been two or three folks on this forum who have professional knowledge of lubricants, to my knowledge, perhaps there are more, but you don't often see posts anymore because, functionally, incorrect info has equal perceived value to correct.

Prof. Henry has done a very nice job of explaining reality, though I would guess he's not been trained as a tribologist. He's likely an inquisitive and detail oriented soul, and has taken the time to inform himself. I'm pleased that he took the time to debunk the "dark oil" myth. One thing to keep in mind, the term for the "cleaning" portion of the additive package within the industry is "detergent/dispersant". It's the dispersant portion that should be more prominant as described in Henry's "suspension" commentary. The one statement that might be off is the idea of metal particles suspended at break in. Keep in mind, crankcase oils have a menu of additives for multiple purposes, not just detergents alone. Only very light, microscopic metal particles MIGHT be suspended. Any large enough to do damage would be too heavy for the additive to affect. More likely, the concern is from the anti-wear additives, such as ZDDP in older formulations, potentially not allowing the, for example, rings to "wear in/seat". That in itself would be another involved discussion.

Any experience with older sludge build up being dislodged is less likely the "fault" of the d/d additive, more likely from fluid flow action. Particularly if the oil changed to is a multi-grade. The multi-grade is more fluid at lower temperatures (start up and warm up), and would flow faster, potentially knocking build up loose. Similar to Henry's kerosene example, it might break loose sludge that's marginally bound to the mass, but not the tightly agglomerated stuff.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
Marv

Back in 1952 my father bought a 1950 Nash Ambasador with 21,000 mile on it. Where he was working at that time had a salesman show up pushing Mobile oil, and telling how great it was and how it cleaned your engine. Dad thought it sounded like a good idea ,so he bought a case of it and changed oil in the Nash. It worked well and cleaned the engine, however the previous owner had used nondetergent oil in it. The engine lasted a week and blew up. Dad tore it down and overhauled it, because that detergent Mobile oil had cleaned all the gunk out. The same hapened to a lot of the companies equipment also. After that, Mobile oil in that location, was known as bearing removal oil and they switched brands of oil. My self i use Castrol oil in my cars and Pennsoil in my deisel tractors. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Prof. Henry has done a very nice job of explaining reality, though I would guess he's not been trained as a tribologist.
Had to look that one up.

Tribology: The science and engineering of interacting surfaces in relative motion. It includes the study and application of the principles of friction, lubrication and wear. Tribology is a branch of mechanical engineering.

Thanks for the new vocabulary word.

You are right that "He's likely an inquisitive and detail oriented soul, and has taken the time to inform himself." When I graduated from law school eons ago I was surprised to discover that I had not learned as many answers as I had learned what questions to ask and how to find the answers. I have, ever since, been eager to learn what I do not know and share that knowledge with others. This forum gives me just one more outlet for that.

Thank you all for asking questions. If I do not know the answer from my personal experience I will try to find a very well documented (supported with evidence and scientific testing) one to share.

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-17-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #19
Old Henry

Quote:
it might break loose sludge that's marginally bound to the mass, but not the tightly agglomerated stuff.
ag·glom·er·ate (-glm-rt)
tr. & intr.v. ag·glom·er·at·ed, ag·glom·er·at·ing, ag·glom·er·ates To form or collect into a rounded mass.

adj. (-r-t) Gathered into a rounded mass.

n. (-r-t) 1. A confused or jumbled mass; a heap.

2. A volcanic rock consisting of rounded and angular fragments fused together.

[Latin agglomerre, agglomert-, to mass together : ad-, ad- + glomerre, to form into a ball (from glomus, glomer-, ball).]

I love it. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-17-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #20
Barry WNY

[QUOTE=Marv;325972]Back in 1952 my father bought a 1950 Nash Ambasador with 21,000 mile on it. Where he was working at that time had a salesman show up pushing Mobile oil, and telling how great it was and how it cleaned your engine. Dad thought it sounded like a good idea ,so he bought a case of it and changed oil in the Nash. It worked well and cleaned the engine, however the previous owner had used nondetergent oil in it. The engine lasted a week and blew up. Dad tore it down and overhauled it, because that detergent Mobile oil had cleaned all the gunk out. The same hapened to a lot of the companies equipment also. After that, Mobile oil in that location, was known as bearing removal oil and they switched brands of oil. My self i use Castrol oil in my cars and Pennsoil in my deisel tractors. Marv[/QUOTE)

What I was saying, if it's gunky and you use high tech oil itwill loosen up allthat crud & run it through everything. Not so bad parrifin based north east parrafin based stuff. I had a gunky LTD from texas with texaco oil change stickers, 130000 mi sludge was crunchy crusty. Ran it 3 years on ND no way did I want that loosening up and traveling through.
Barry WNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #21
G.M.

Heres a picture of some of the sludge I removed out of an original 38 engine that sat 45 years. Cleaned it good with diesel fuel, replaced the standard mains and rod bearing. The original bearings showed very little wear. Did the MMO oil job on it, checked the oil pressure and compression and they were good. Some of the valves are 1 or 2 thousanths wide so I will reseat them. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0049.jpg (59.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #22
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Heres a picture of some of the sludge I removed.
Looks like agglomerate to me.

(Trying to use my new vocabulary word I just learned from Uncle Bob.)

Or, is it the "New! Super Lubricity Formula" that is on the label.

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-17-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
[email protected]

See what I mean? You'll not get a definitive answer. You'll read a lot of sound reasoning and in the end you'll make up your own mind. Something I read, maybe in Prof Henry's post is that we probably don't drive these vehicles enough between oil changes for it to make a difference. In my 46 years as a shade tree mechanic with all the experts and other shade tree mechanics helping me in the end I've found I've always come up right by doing what I thought best. And all this was tempered with the knowledge I gained from experts and shade tree mechanics. Oh, and like I said before, this is possibly the most hashed over topic on these forums. Good luck friend.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #24
[email protected]

Oh my God, I just went back and reread some of the posts I'd gleaned a little to quickly. It seems our good friend prof henry has gone to law school. Isn't that where people become lawyers. Well there goes his credibility. OK, I'm being sarcastic and a little envious. I never went much past the 10th grade in high school and I'm a little short on formal education and therefore find it necessary to resist belittling most people with more knowledge than I. So I guess the bottom line has become that I really respect prof henry and really appreciate his great sense of humor but also know my place and will leave this particular conversation. If you need me I'll be laying in the corner by my dish. Is "belittling" a word?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:15 PM   #25
[email protected]

Hey wait, I've got an idea. Let's run this one past the Mythbusters.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #26
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
One guy will have a valid answer for running nondetergent.
OK. I'm ready for it. Who are you? You "one guy that will have a valid answer for running non-detergent." Come on. Let's hear something other than "We'll, shortly after we put detergent oil in our car it blew up." Come on. What kind of scientific evidence is that. Has anybody's engine ever died for any other reason than that they just put detergent oil in it?

OK. Here I am without a life after 11:00 P.M. Better go to bed before someone takes me up on this and comes up with some really scientific evidence to prove their point.

Oh, BTW, I was a debater in High School as well. Can you tell?

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just trying to have some fun while trying to go to sleep.

(I might have gone into politics but I couldn't stand the scrutiny of the media. They are brutal! Wouldn't put my wife and family through that. I wouldn't put ME through that. Besides, my credibility is low enough as it is just being a lawyer. Imagine if I was a politician on top of that.)

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-18-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:51 AM   #27
Old Henry

Quote:
Isn't that where people become lawyers. Well there goes his credibility.
Rodney Dangerfield is our profession's poster child.
"We don't get no respect. No, respect at all I tell ya."
(You thought it must be Abe Lincoln. Nah, Rodney's our man.)

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-18-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #28
Old Henry

Quote:
Is "belittling" a word?
be·lit·tle (b-ltl)
tr.v. be·lit·tled, be·lit·tling, be·lit·tles 1. To represent or speak of as contemptibly small or unimportant; disparage: a person who belittled our efforts to do the job right.
2. To cause to seem less than another or little: The size of the office tower belittles the surrounding buildings. See Synonyms at decry.

We get that a lot.
Ever heard a good lawyer joke?
Well, there you have it.

(I love this thread)
Old 12-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #29
Marv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
OK. I'm ready for it. Who are you? You "one guy that will have a valid answer for running non-detergent." Come on. Let's hear something other than "We'll, shortly after we put detergent oil in our car it blew up." Come on. What kind of scientific evidence is that. Has anybody's engine ever died for any other reason than that they just put detergent oil in it?

OK. Here I am without a life after 11:00 P.M. Better go to bed before someone takes me up on this and comes up with some really scientific evidence to prove their point.

Oh, BTW, I was a debater in High School as well. Can you tell?

Don't take me too seriously. I'm just trying to have some fun while trying to go to sleep.

(I might have gone into politics but I couldn't stand the scrutiny of the media. They are brutal! Wouldn't put my wife and family through that. I wouldn't put ME through that. Besides, my credibility is low enough as it is just being a lawyer. Imagine if I was a politician on top of that.)
The point was not that using detergent oil would blow the engine , it was that after runnig non detergent oil, if you used detergent it would clean the engine and plug the oil filter and cut grime loose that would ruin your bearings. If non detergent oil was so god we would be running it in new fords and changing oil every 2000 miles and engines would still be getting overhauled every 40 or 50,000 miles if they lasted that long. I do not use non detergent in any of my engines unless the weed eater oil is non detergent and it has synthetic additives in it. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #30
Erik the Awful

Engine mechanical technology hasn't changed much since the 1920's but motor oil has changed a bunch. Modern long-life 15-40 motor oil, as compounded for HD diesel engines is so far superior to any previous motor oil, I seriously wonder why any operator would consider anything else. DO start it out with an engine that is reasonably clean inside. DON'T look for pour-in chemicals to do your obligatory clean out.
Erik the Awful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 AM   #31
Uncle Bob

It occurs to me that my earlier message may have been somewhat misunderstood. Just in case, cleaning out accumulated sludge before putting an engine into service should be done regardless of oil choice. Even a "non-detergent" oil can dislodge "chunks" due to oil flow.

Also, we are all capable of learning things correctly about outcomes, even though we may not fully understand the technical causes. For the word mavens in addition to Henry (I know you're out there) it's called learning empirically. Unfortunately we may assume causes that are either incomplete or wrong, even though our remediation is appropriate. There have been several other notions tossed out in the flow of conversation here that are full of stories/reasons/myths. But enough of that.

Ol' Henry.............trained as a lawyer? Considered politics, however briefly? AND from Utah?
Old 12-18-2011, 10:53 AM   #32
Old Henry

Quote:
Ol' Henry.............trained as a lawyer? Considered politics, however briefly? AND from Utah?
There ya go! Me and Rodney all over again.

One more bit of ammo for your ridiculing: I sang in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for over 6 years!
Keep it coming. Keep it coming.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #33
Uncle Bob

Quote:

One more bit of ammo for your ridiculing: I sang in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for over 6 years!

That would depend on which you sang; bass, tenor, alto or soprano.,
Old 12-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #34
Old Henry

Quote:
That would depend on which you sang; bass, tenor, alto or soprano.,
Well, at least you knew the four parts that could be sung.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #35
David J

Does your pan have the huge drain plug ? If yes maybe a dental mirror & a light can be used to see if you have any sludge buildup in there . Pulling it is best though besides then you can clean the pickup screen .Your valley being "super clean" eliminates that part of the potential troubles . Doesn't take much loosened crud to block the feed-drain holes there but again - that is not a worry here . If you can verify the pan is clean using modern good detergent oil is not an issue . I use castrol 20-50 in my 33-34 stuff & 15w40 rotella T in the John Deeres . ONLY IF THEY ARE CLEAN INSIDE . If they are not clean inside they get cleaned before using . I don't really care what you want to call it when or why crap comes loose but this crap can DEFINATELY plug drain-feed holes & pickup screens . Again the fact the valley area is "super clean" kinda tells me you are draining out detergent oil . Check the pan though . Why is it that threads on this subject seem to end up in the abstract ? He asked a pretty simple question but then I am not a holder of a THD in "thinkology" { I believe the wizard of OZ gave the only one of those to the scarecrow } in 1939. David J
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan bogert View Post
not sure, when i got it took out the drain plug, and a cleaning agent ONLY came out about a pint of it. when i took off the intake, and heads it was super clean inside

Last edited by David J; 12-19-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: bad spelen
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:29 PM   #36
[email protected]

Sorry guys, had to go out and change oil in the truck. I put in non-detergent. I also put on a new filter. I didn't want my engine to get "full" of sludge. But then I digress. Now where were we... Oh yeah, we were bashing Old Henry. I do have to admit Old (what the heck kind of name is Old?) forgive me, I do have to admit Old, for a lawyer you seem like a pretty good guy. Now as far as some of the rest of you guys, let's see you hang your training and professions out for the rest of us to see. Mormon Tabernacle Choir huh? Did your Rabbi know it at the time?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #37
paul2748

[QUOTE=Like others have said, drop the pan, clean it out, maybe throw a coat of paint on it, replace the gasket and refill with whatever you feel comfortable with. Whatever winds up going in is going to be a better lubricant than some of the stuff your engine has likely had in it before.[/QUOTE]

Never paint the inside of an oil pan.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #38
More Dust than Rust

I don't believe I said to paint the interior, but maybe you're just offering additional advise or ideas which is what I hope this forum is for.

Up here in the Northeast especially in the spring when the nights are cool and the air gets warm during the day, a lot of condensate forms on pans causing the outside to rust easily. Just figured it is easier for him to paint it on a bench instead of upside down on his back.

BTW didn't the original post start off with a recently flushed and clean engine? Somehow we have gotten into what to run in a cruddy engine.
More Dust than Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #39
[email protected]

Quote:
Sorry guys, had to go out and change oil in the truck. I put in non-detergent. I also put on a new filter. I didn't want my engine to get "full" of sludge. But then I digress. Now where were we... Oh yeah, we were bashing Old Henry. I do have to admit Old (what the heck kind of name is Old?) forgive me, I do have to admit Old, for a lawyer you seem like a pretty good guy. Now as far as some of the rest of you guys, let's see you hang your training and professions out for the rest of us to see. Mormon Tabernacle Choir huh? Did your Rabbi know it at the time?
You guys got me so into this conversation I put Non-detergent when I meant to say detergent. That's it I quit you guys can have this goofy thread. Where did Old Henry go?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #40
Old Henry

Quote:
I do have to admit Old, for a lawyer you seem like a pretty good guy.
Now cut that out. You're about to make me cry. Remember, us lawyers aren't used to anyone saying anything nice about us.

(I thought you were going to be laying in your corner by your dish.)

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-19-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #41
Old Henry

Wink Re: oil detergant or non det.

Quote:
Now where were we... Oh yeah, we were bashing Old Henry. I do have to admit Old (what the heck kind of name is Old?)
old/ōld/

Adjective:
1. Having lived for a long time; no longer young.
2. Made or built long ago: "the old quarter of the town".

As you can plainly see, "Old" is an adjective, not a noun which it would have to be to be a name! (I want your English teacher's name and number. I need to have a talk with her.)
Old 12-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #42
[email protected]

We weren't learnt about abjectives and nouns at my skool. Heck we din't even have compewters back then. I'm sorry, that was childish and uncalled for. So then your name is Prof then? I go by the name Mike. It's easier to remember because there's so many of them around.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #43
Old Henry

Quote:
So then your name is Prof then?
That's Prof. with a period.

Closer. At least Prof. is an abbreviation for a noun. (Can you guess what it is?)
You can find my true identity by going to my web site listed in my public profile contact info. (That'll take you four (4) twitches of your index finger [that's the one you use in your nose] on the mouse button to get there but I'm sure you can do it.) But don't tell anyone. Let them figure it out for themselves.

(P.S. My brother's name is Mike so you must be OK too.)

(P.P.S. Here I am again after 11:00 P.M. without a life and getting weird. Better hit the sack.)

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-20-2011 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #44
Old Henry

Quote:
If you need me I'll be laying in the corner by my dish.
Quote:
(I thought you were going to be laying in your corner by your dish.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Actually that was yours truly on Lawsons 35-36 peekup book thread . Figgered it was time to shaddup as I didn't really know enough about it to be spouting off . David J
Must be gettin' purdy crowded there in the corner.

Last edited by Old Henry; 12-20-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #45

Drop The Pan And Clean It And the Screen, this is a must ! Then You decide What oil To Use.
3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #46
[email protected]

Dang, I forgot, this is a thread about oil. I normally use Valvoline 10/30. I've never cared for penzoil. I'm really not sure why, maybe it's the yellow can. Prof. please forgive me for dropping the .. (Leave it up to a lawyer to get hung up on the details) Oh and you might be interested in knowing that I don't pick my nose. I do a correct and proper "farmer blow" then give my nose a quick clean off, wipe it on my overalls and I'm ready to go. What kind of animal "picks" their nose?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #47
Old Henry

Quote:
you might be interested in knowing that I don't pick my nose. I do a correct and proper "farmer blow" then give my nose a quick clean off, wipe it on my overalls and I'm ready to go. What kind of animal "picks" their nose?
UNCLE! UNCLE! I give up! There is no way I can come up with anything as funny as that. You cracked me up and good. You win. (Although I believe the correct modus operandi (look it up) for cleaning up after a farmer blow is the flannel shirt sleeve. The bib on the overalls is a little awkward.)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 AM   #48
41 Fords ohio

All I learned from this is "a confused or jumbled mass;a heap" Thanks Ed
Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #49
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41 Fords ohio View Post
All I learned from this is "a confused or jumbled mass;a heap" Thanks Ed
Ah, someone else learned Uncle Bob's new vocabulary word. (agglomerate)
Old 12-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #50
41 Fords ohio

Quote:
Ah, someone else learned Uncle Bob's new vocabulary word. (agglomerate)
That's all I could retain. It comes from being married to a chatty cathy doll that could pull her own string for 27 years. My mind can only hold so much info,but I'm gettin better since I divorced her. So no offence to the barners. I still have, "does this dress make me look fat?" ringing in my ears. Agglomerate 4( What happens to your brain when your wife wants to paint the living room orange and get green carpet to go with it) Thanks Ed

Last edited by 41 Fords ohio; 12-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.
41 Fords ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #51
Uncle Bob

Quote:
, "does this dress make me look fat?"
It does if you allow adipose tissue to agglomerate on your butt and thighs................but then, that's not the fault of the dress.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #52
41 Fords ohio

Quote:
It does if you allow adipose tissue to agglomerate on your butt and thighs................but then, that's not the fault of the dress.
No, but it's your fault if you say, yeah big time! Ed
Old 12-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #53
[email protected]

Quote:
That's all I could retain. It comes from being married to a chatty cathy doll that could pull her own string for 27 years. My mind can only hold so much info,but I'm gettin better since I divorced her. So no offence to the barners. I still have, "does this dress make me look fat?" ringing in my ears. Agglomerate 4( What happens to your brain when your wife wants to paint the living room orange and get green carpet to go with it) Thanks Ed
Huh, weakling! I lasted 33 years before I got out. Well; now that I think of it maybe you were just smarter than me. 6 years is a long time in married years. At any rate congratulations on your freedom and may you never have it so rough again.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:26 AM   #54
41 Fords ohio

Quote:
Huh, weakling! I lasted 33 years before I got out. Well; now that I think of it maybe you were just smarter than me. 6 years is a long time in married years. At any rate congratulations on your freedom and may you never have it so rough again.
Thanks, I figured 27 years was enough. It was the best money I ever spent. I just wished I hadn't waited so long. Ed
Old 12-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #55
[email protected]

And now we buy our old Fords and work on them!