Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #21
Kens 36

Default Re: Any 100% original restorations, past or present?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
Vic, when I restore my '50 Ford, I will use it as my guide since it is, until now, a totally unmolested, 9 time Rouge winner. I just take lots of pictures.
Cecil,

You're already off to a good start with that area you buffed on the trunk.

Ken
Old 01-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #22
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Out of curiosity, what are you guys using as a criteria, or guide, to determine 100% originality for your particular restoration project?
Fortunately, my car was quite original when it was bought in 1959 so I could pretty much follow its pattern. Other very helpful sources are the Early Ford V8 Club books about each model year that details much, and, particularly, their concourse judging standards. They are very detailed.

Books are here: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/store-products.cfm?id=2

Judging forms and standards are here: http://www.earlyfordv8.org/early-ford-forms.cfm

One more thing. You've got to get yourself the "Green Bible." It's the 800 page parts book that lists every part for every Ford from 1928 thru 1948. If you wonder whether your car had a part or which part is right for your car, it will tell you and often show you with a diagram. There are several for sale right now on ebay for about $70.00 or you can get it on CD for about $30.00 here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item53e58aad27
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Green Bible.jpg (47.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Old Henry; 01-13-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #23
rbabb

im back workin on my39 pickup gonna make it as stock as possible, have pic but havent got a way to get them on computer yet. stock motor all done and running 12 volt not stock but practical driver 4 me now on to body work lots of body work.
rbabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #24
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
My 51 Victoria, finished June 2010, 100% stock Dearborn Award Winner. I love them all, stock, hot rods, unrestored, they are all great in my opinion.

That is a really beautiful car.

Thanks for posting the great photo.

TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #25
Frank Miller

Here is a studio shot of my 49 when I went to the Grand National in 2008. This is as original as I could get it. Drove over 700 miles each way. Two 1 day trips. I believes stock will give you the most reliability as it is tried and proven. I painted this car the original gray against others advice. I have had more compliments on a gray car than I would have thought possible. I can appreciate modified but this works for me.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens 36 View Post
Cecil,

You're already off to a good start with that area you buffed on the trunk.

Ken
yes, but I been so busy rebuilding the engine and replacing the wiring harness that I don't know when I can finish the buff. Probably with a spray gun.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #27
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I can barley keep my junkers running. I do like driving to National meets. Sometimes I am in the Touring class but that good enough for me.I did scrounge up a 50 Ford Crestliner for a driver I hope some day. It looks good but so far I have repaired the wireing,rebuilt steering box and front end end,tires,brakes, dist,rebuilt the gen.,and that just for a start.Maybe someday it will meet my standard as a decent driver.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #28
oldrelics

1941 Ford 1/2ton, correct except for an accessory column mounted signal switch.
oldrelics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #29
Ken/Alabama

Heres are a couple .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00286.jpg (62.8 KB, 40 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #30
Ken/Alabama

The other one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pickup 046.jpg (82.6 KB, 37 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #31
Kube

One more thing. You've got to get yourself the "Green Bible." It's the 800 page parts book that lists every part for every Ford from 1928 thru 1948. If you wonder whether your car had a part or which part is right for your car, it will tell you and often show you with a diagram. There are several for sale right now on ebay for about $70.00 or you can get it on CD for about $30.00 here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item53e58aad27[/QUOTE]
The HUGE PROBLEM with the Green Book is the parts listed are service (replacement) parts and VERY OFTEN not authentic to the car when it was built. Yes, the green book as well as any Ford parts book is helpful but will not necessarily allow the correct information for a top point restoration. To lessen the pitfalls of what I've mentioned above, it is best to get a parts book published as close to possible as to when your particular vehicle was built.
Remember, just because the part fits, doesn't make it correct.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM   #32
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Yes, the green book as well as any Ford parts book is helpful but will not necessarily allow the correct information for a top point restoration.
All judging standards differ in some details. Thus, if you're going for points awarded by a particular organization, you've got to comply with their standards, regardless of what was really correct for your vehicle. Usually the standards of clubs like Early Ford V8 Club are closest to reality because that's their goal but still, to get "top points" for your restoration, it's got to be according to the judging standards that you're competing under.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #33
Old Henry

Quote:
it is best to get a parts book published as close to possible as to when your particular vehicle was built.
So, where do we get such a book of which you speak? I only know of the Green Bible and how to get that.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #34
Old Henry

[QUOTE=Kube;142787]The HUGE PROBLEM with the Green Book is the parts listed are service (replacement) parts and VERY OFTEN not authentic to the car when it was built.QUOTE]

The book does identify original part numbers that have been superceded by later numbers and even newer parts to replace them with. I think it's a great source of information although perhaps not the final definitive source (whatever that may be.)

Last edited by Old Henry; 01-13-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #35
Old Henry

Quote:
While I appreciate a well planned and well built custom, I do feel there is much more involved with a true top point restoration vs. a custom / refurbishment. There are after all no guidelines / criteria when customizing. Pretty much 'make it fit', 'make it pretty' and 'make it work' are all that's involved. The rest remains completely up to the builders imagination and personal skill level. Also reducing the challenge of a custom is the ease in which parts can be had. I have to beleive a 32 roadster can be built out of a catalog nowadays. Try restoring one and see the difficulty of that venue...
Last summer my stock original car was next to a cusomiized fortysomething at a car show and the owners of that car said the same thing - how much harder it is to "fit to a pattern" as authentic restorations require rather than just doing whatever comes naturally that one does with a customization. I like it though - to research and learn the true historical facts in order to recreate a moment in history to "go back in time" to.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #36
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
I thought I would look at the St George link you posted to see what other angle I might see the cars at and found that it was my link that you posted. I was a bit surprised.
You posted the best pictures there were. Hope you didn't think I was taking credit. And thank you again for posting all of those.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #37
jsemple6392

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry grayson View Post
Restoring a car to original is a rewarding effort. Lots of research and parts hunting! I don't think that you have identified the car correctly. There is a 5 window coupe and a sedan coupe, but no "business coupe" in 1947. Does your car have a full seat in the back?
The car does not have a seat at all in the back. It is referred to also as a "5-window coupe" for whatever reason by Ford. The sedan coupes also have 5 windows. It is also called by some the "short door coupe" and the sedan coupe is the "long door coupe." In 1947 they were only available in the Deluxe model. Although my research is just beginning, and you are correct that I have a long way to go, I am quickly discovering that this could be the most complicated year of all to restore. The little details from early to late '47 are large in number.
jsemple6392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #38
coilover

Here's a 40 that this 83 years young fellow did from his memory only, no books. We did the metal work and paint but he completely disassembled and reassembled it himself with his 82 year old wife's assistance. Not a 100 pointer but pretty darn good for eight decade old hands and joints.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leland Hales 40 conv. 001.jpg (131.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Leland Hales 40 conv. 002.jpg (119.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Leland Hales 40 conv. 003.jpg (128.8 KB, 31 views)
coilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #39
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilover View Post
Here's a 40 that this 83 years young fellow did from his memory only, no books. We did the metal work and paint but he completely disassembled and reassembled it himself with his 82 year old wife's assistance. Not a 100 pointer but pretty darn good for eight decade old hands and joints.
Nice Car and story.. looks like more projects waiting in the background.
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #40
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
Here is a studio shot of my 49 when I went to the Grand National in 2008. This is as original as I could get it. Drove over 700 miles each way. Two 1 day trips. I believes stock will give you the most reliability as it is tried and proven. I painted this car the original gray against others advice. I have had more compliments on a gray car than I would have thought possible. I can appreciate modified but this works for me.
It works for me too. Wow!!! Your car looks fabulous.

TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote