Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
dlfrisch

Default Current values of Modal A's

I have listed my Model A for sale and noting the comments on a recent Posting hear on the Ford Barn - “Current market values on tudors”, I too, have been surprised, that I can’t roust any interest trying to find a buyer for my totally restored coupe. I have about or near mid twenty thousand $ dollars invested and I haven’t had an offer of over fifteen thousand $ dollars. Maybe most folks want to find a project vehicle and / or are not interested in a totally restored, show room quality 1930 Model A Ford Deluxe Coupe.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #2
31Tudor

Default Re: Current values of Modal A's

This is just my opinion and observation, but I believe for Coupes and Tudors to be selling in the $20's they will sell better with some type of MARC or MAFCA awards. Either in Fine Point or Touring Class. Since they are more common body styles, it gives them a "pedigree" to ensure to the buyer that they are worth money in the $20,000 vs. a $12,000 vehicle.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I think " totally restored show car" can mean different things including to what extent each sub assy was rebuilt to. You have mid twentys of an investment restoring your coupe... I restored two Tudors for myself and have mid 40's invested in each ( not including labor). Both my cars were solid non rusted complete driving units.
Can I get my investment back? Probably not but I do keep a high agreed value over double my investment....
I did put my last one ( Lucy) through AACA and received a senior which should justify something...

All that being said I knew going in I would be upside down in them, but i did it for me and not for resale value

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-16-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
heneste

You have to remember that it's easier to invest more in a vehicle than what you may be able to get as a return in the market. It would be nice if we could always get 100% return of our invested $$, but usually that rule doesn't occur. That's another reason why many people opt to purchase a restored car rather than going through the hassle and expense of restoring one.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #5
jeep44

My own opinion: There are more and more Model A's coming on the market because of the advanced age of their owners, and fewer younger buyers interested in Model A's.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Roadster Rich

Agree with Mitch. I have two and never dreamed I could get back the investment or effort. We do it because we love the cars. Even back to my youth, working with Page's Model A in New Hampshire (1960's), he always told any person who came to have him do work, that they would not recover the cost of the restoration with selling the vehicle. Brent in "Tenn Uh See", told me that the cost for him to restore my Town Sedan would be more than the sale value. I think that still holds true. So if it is true that younger people just do not love the cars, then we must expect the price to sell is going to drop not rise.
Roadster Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
inex01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
My own opinion: There are more and more Model A's coming on the market because of the advanced age of their owners, and fewer younger buyers interested in Model A's.
This is also my observation and not only the Model As but it seems every stock car over 80 plus years old are going down in price, the reason is no one relates to these cars any longer, the 60's cars are the cars of most interest because these cars are the cars that we "The Boomers" grew up with. My Son who is in his mid 20's has zero interest in my cars, or any cars, to him a car is an appliance and the same with most his generation. So enjoy the car hobby and if you like plus 80 year old cars "like I do" there will be many more buying opportunities coming down the pike. I have only one life and plan on enjoying the car hobby till I meet my maker. My suggestion is enjoy the time with your old cars while you are here!
Old 09-16-2015, 12:28 PM   #8
CarlG

Soooooooo, I paid 11.6 (+2.5 to ship it here) for my rig 5 years ago. Have put another 10+ into it in the meantime. Probably couldn't get 10 for it if I tried to sell it right now.

Satisfaction I have had in just messing with it and the new friends I've made in the hobby = priceless!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
burner31

You never get OUT, what you put IN your car.
Unless you buy to flip the car. Which means you won't be put 20K into it.
To think otherwise is a fools errand.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #10
marty in Ohio

I'm a firm believer that people collect what they remember. Not many folks remember an 85 year old car. I've kept mine for 22 years just because I like it. Otherwise I'd still have that '68 Roadrunner, which now would be worth about $75,000. Go figure.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #11
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by inex01 View Post
This is also my observation and not only the Model As but it seems every stock car over 80 plus years old are going down in price, the reason is no one relates to these cars any longer, the 60's cars are the cars of most interest because these cars are the cars that we "The Boomers" grew up with. My Son who is in his mid 20's has zero interest in my cars, or any cars, to him a car is an appliance and the same with most his generation. So enjoy the car hobby and if you like plus 80 year old cars "like I do" there will be many more buying opportunities coming down the pike. I have only one life and plan on enjoying the car hobby till I meet my maker. My suggestion is enjoy the time with your old cars while you are here!
Same with my kids, they could care less about my cars, or my Harley, they can't wait for me to croak so they can sell them.

Won't they be surprised when they see my will...they ain't getting them.
I'm grooming my grandkids for these cars, let's hope it takes.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
You never get OUT, what you put IN your car.
Unless you buy to flip the car. Which means you won't be put 20K into it.
To think otherwise is a fools errand.
Yes if I flip it over I will recover my money plus... But most likely my kids will get it
Old 09-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I see your car on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A...m=252088387220
Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #14
goodoldvic

My opinion is you rarely get what you invest and never recoup you own labor if you even figure that into the price. I've sold sports cars muscle cars and lots of motorcycles. If you want to make money, its not a hobby its a business venture. Ive been hit over the head selling a project then been really pleased by my next purchase. Hey ya gotta be happy that's the bottom line. I love my Tudor and all the adventure, mechanical and other wise that came with it. I got thousands of smiles with this car. My two cents.
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #15
apbright

I think it's pretty clear that to make automotive restoration fiscally profitable, one needs to work on somewhat more exotic cars, e.g. 1950's Ferrari's, 1960s-70's Porches, or if you could ever find one meriting restoration a pre-war convertible/open-top luxury car (Lincoln, Cadillac, Packard, etc.). The great thing about Model A's is the proliferation of parts availability for them - much as some chaps poo-poo repo parts, how often are you really ever completely f***** unable to find that essential bearing seal, body panel, drive gear... ?

Getting out what you put into a Model A means getting love, pride, and joy out of having and driving it, and as said before, you get more winks, waves, thumbs-up then you ever would in a $300k new Lamborghini. So far, I consider my Model A restorations profitable. That said, I wish you the best of luck in your sale - it only takes one buyer
apbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #16
barkleydave

If you are a member of MARC OR MAFCA advertise there. Club members appreciate the work put in these cars and will buy up a nice one fast. Ebay is the worst place to start.

If your car is set up for touring make sure you list all those expensive upgrades!
barkleydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
28RPU

These are my opinions: These Model As are the Hondas of the 20s-30s. They were a cheap car and they made a million of them. They are not that rare so that a coupe made in high volume would bring 20K in my opinion. I personally think they have been overvalued for a while. If you want to sell for the big bucks then thats where the street rods come in, they sell pretty high.
Like some others said, its rare to make money or recoup money on them, especially if you start with a rough one. You need to keep it until inflation catches up then sell it.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

No offense, but you should have grabbed one of the offers approaching 15k and ran. JMO

Paul in CT By the way, very nice looking coupe.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:43 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Forgetting about labor, I DOUBLED my money on Minerva, in 8 years. I've had Vermin for about 5 years & I'm quite sure I could DOUBLE my investment on him. I always buy a car "RIGHT"!
Bill W.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #20
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep44 View Post
this is true to a point, the young people (in 20's-30's) are still paying off $100,000+ in college debt (thats a low end figure) till thier 45 along with rent (average in/near a city is 700-1200+ a month) astronomical car insurance if your a guy, pay crazy utility bills, etc. Most people i know my age are happy to have a well running car built in the last 15 years... we just dont have disposable income nor a proper place to store a Model A.