Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
ericr

Default What Part Would You Want to See Reproduced with Quality?

A recent post seems to indicate that parts dealers regularly read this blog, which is understandable and actually helpful to our hobby. I know that some dealers get a tongue-lashing here, but you know, after all is said and done, it is hard for me to believe that anyone would engage in that business without some level of interest if not affection for Model "A" Fords.

Anyway, perhaps it would be of value if dealers got some feedback from owners as to what part they want to see reproduced, or made in a higher-quality form.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
BlueSunoco

Default Re: What Part Would You Want to See Reproduced with Quality?

Headlight bulb sockets....oh yes and good '30-'31 wind wing clamps

Good thread. Look at the response to Walt Bratton's headlight reflectors!!
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
ronn

I guess, as mentioned on another thread, new gas tanks would be awesome!

That is on the dream list.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

This is a real subjective post for me but there is one MAJOR factor that many just do not seem to comprehend regarding quality. The majority of the time each & every reproduction item boils down to Costs to Produce, and R.O.I. It is just a matter of Economics 101.

Folks here can make lists a mile long of "dream items" and their peers will jump on the bandwagon. Then someone will jump in and say these vendors need to make better quality however the brutal truth is most people will not pay. I can cite example after example of quality items that were available yet the R.O.I. was so poor, the production was halted. The reason the R.O.I. was bad was because the manufacturer listened to hobbyists who said "if only XXX was offered, it would fly of the shelf!" ...but guess what, it didn't. Folks always seem to find an excuse why they can not step-up and pay the manufacturer's price. "My car is just a driver." or "I'm retired and I can't spend that kind of money."

In the defense of the vendors/manufacturers who do lurk here, most of them are very savvy business operators and they learn quickly about their market. Trust me when I say there is a reason why they manufacture a product to a certain level.

Now here is a thought, ...how many reproduction parts would not be necessary to manufacture if a typical Model-A Restorer could actually restore parts instead of replace parts?? That one kinda 'stings' don't it? My thought is show gratitude for whatever reproduction item is available, and buy the best quality you can afford if you cannot restore what you have.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Synchro909

How about more RHD parts. Throttle linkages, steering arms, brake cross shafts, clutch/brake pedals and bushes and shaft, bell housings, inlet manifolds, hand throttle levers and many more.
Oh, and another thing - rewrite instructions so that they refer to left or right side of the car, not driver's or passenger's side. We have to be alert when assembling things that we DON"T follow the instructions. I asked Snyder's one day "What happens if we assemble an engine as your instructions say and have the oil scoops on the co rods facing the driver's side? The engine would fail very quickly and because the instructions were followed, you would be responsible." The person to whom I spoke had no clue there would be a problem and there has been no change to their (or anybody else's) literature. This is an issue I have also raised about the Les Andrews books which for a right hand car are full of errors.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:03 PM   #6
bikejunk

Well I guess it is all in fun I would say for most a good set of steel fenders
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Synchro909

Agree Brent about the viability of small production runs of slow moving items but my comment about instructions are valid regardless of volume. I would not be the owner of a Model A if it weren't for the ready supply of parts. Please don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the availability of parts even though we have to repair more items than you guys.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikejunk View Post
Well I guess it is all in fun I would say for most a good set of steel fenders
Yes, this has my vote... steel fenders that FIT!!
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Roadster62

Years ago I sold a NOS 1930's Chevrolet door handle to a vendor at Hershey thas was going to add it to his line of reproductions. I asked him what R&D and tooling would cost to make the first one, the number he mentioned was mind boggeling. How anyone makes any reproduction part AND a profit amazes me. Bob
Old 07-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Yes, this has my vote... steel fenders that FIT!!

+ 2 Amen
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 06:37 PM   #11
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
This is a real subjective post for me but there is one MAJOR factor that many just do not seem to comprehend regarding quality. The majority of the time each & every reproduction item boils down to Costs to Produce, and R.O.I. It is just a matter of Economics 101.

Folks here can make lists a mile long of "dream items" and their peers will jump on the bandwagon. Then someone will jump in and say these vendors need to make better quality however the brutal truth is most people will not pay. I can cite example after example of quality items that were available yet the R.O.I. was so poor, the production was halted. The reason the R.O.I. was bad was because the manufacturer listened to hobbyists who said "if only XXX was offered, it would fly of the shelf!" ...but guess what, it didn't. Folks always seem to find an excuse why they can not step-up and pay the manufacturer's price. "My car is just a driver." or "I'm retired and I can't spend that kind of money."

In the defense of the vendors/manufacturers who do lurk here, most of them are very savvy business operators and they learn quickly about their market. Trust me when I say there is a reason why they manufacture a product to a certain level.

Now here is a thought, ...how many reproduction parts would not be necessary to manufacture if a typical Model-A Restorer could actually restore parts instead of replace parts?? That one kinda 'stings' don't it? My thought is show gratitude for whatever reproduction item is available, and buy the best quality you can afford if you cannot restore what you have.
well, yes and no, isn't it? I just posted a comment where I returned a US made open car door lock that was substantially more expensive than foreign made but no greater in quality. On the flip side, Brattons's new headlamp reflectors seem to be gathering praise (and hopefully sales) and are substantially higher in cost than the former ones. Am I to think Walt doesn't know what he is doing or never heard of ROI?

Members have commented on who sells better running boards and trim, better nuts and bolts, carb jets, points, condenser and many other things and I think you advise people where to buy better fender welting.

I think nature, size, complexity and ultimate price of the part at issue might also be involved in the mix. Surely no one expects sellers to take a risk of loss but I also suspect there is some pecking order of parts dealers, some of whom can afford to take greater risks of ROI than others.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Short and sweet for me .... Gas tank !
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #13
Terry,NJ

Dammit, I'm not a multi millionaire and a SS check will only stretch so far. And as Brent says, we should be restoring the parts where possible. But somehow I've been made to feel as though restoring parts is like dumpster diving, "Put in a new one!" is the hue and cry of those with better retirement plans. Meanwhile I get to scrounge. I bought my fenders for $150 a pair, I did a helluva work on them (See my my profile "My 30 T.S.") All the while I was thinking of the guys who can afford new ones. OH Well! Such is life. My seat frames and springs are made from an old mattress and a Ash tree I cut down in the backyard. Dimensionally, it is identical to the old spring, so why should I care? Well....,It's... It's... HOMEMADE! Therefore it can't be any good, can it? Right? That's the thinking isn't it? Somehow using our skills only turns out substandard parts at best. SIGH!!!!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:48 PM   #14
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Dammit, I'm not a multi millionaire and a SS check will only stretch so far. And as Brent says, we should be restoring the parts where possible. But somehow I've been made to feel as though restoring parts is like dumpster diving, "Put in a new one!" is the hue and cry of those with better retirement plans. Meanwhile I get to scrounge. I bought my fenders for $150 a pair, I did a helluva work on them (See my my profile "My 30 T.S.") All the while I was thinking of the guys who can afford new ones. OH Well! Such is life. My seat frames and springs are made from an old mattress and a Ash tree I cut down in the backyard. Dimensionally, it is identical to the old spring, so why should I care? Well....,It's... It's... HOMEMADE! Therefore it can't be any good, can it? Right? That's the thinking isn't it? Somehow using our skills only turns out substandard parts at best. SIGH!!!!
Terry
free parts are also helpful
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #15
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Short and sweet for me .... Gas tank !
Wayne
It would be much "CHEAPER" to clean your Original the right way !!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:33 PM   #16
daveymc29

On the fender not fitting, I have a friend 93+ years of age that asked one of the major manufacturers of the 30/31 front fenders why they don't make them to fit the car. He was told, "Because you guys buy 'em the way they are." Why change the ROI when we don't demand the quality, and if quality is offered, we don't support the price? It is what it is.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:41 PM   #17
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
It would be much "CHEAPER" to clean your Original the right way !!
Some of us are not looking for cheap, we are looking for convenience and I don't personally care if it is original. And sometimes they are rusted through and how do you clean holes ???
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #18
Tinbasher

Patch panels with the right contour. Since they've been made wrong for 40 years.

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #19
JOES31

As a life long businessman and investor I have to agree completely with Brent. He hit the nail squarely on the head.
JOES31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:35 PM   #20
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
Some of us are not looking for cheap, we are looking for convenience and I don't personally care if it is original. And sometimes they are rusted through and how do you clean holes ???
Wayne
You will learn how to, Real Fast, When you go to buy your new Re-pop tank & then it wont fit !!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote