Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
AlDeBear

Default Re: Homemade Spring Spreader

Admiral, I like the ingenuity & engineering of your spreader! Never having used one I'll leave all comments RE:safety & practicality to Barners that have. Looks good!
AlDeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #22
quickchange34

The best one is a porta power. They work great.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #23
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Here's one made using a super big turnbuckle. Works great and won't flex.
This is almost identical to the one I made for myself. I was operating on the KIS principal. Also the Turnbuckle is Drop Forged so no worries there.
I used the threaded pieces (rolled threads for strength)that came with the Turnbuckle and welded and sleeved them to the main bar.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
oldford2

Wow, now after all these years spending extra $ for grade 8 bolts for their strength , I find out Kube says they are too "brittle". I can't wait till he posts a picture of his spreader.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #25
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Wow, now after all these years spending extra $ for grade 8 bolts for their strength , I find out Kube says they are too "brittle". I can't wait till he posts a picture of his spreader.
John
The grade 8's are okay for certain applications. I spent many years as a tool & die maker. I did manage to learn a few things along the way. What types of steel to use and where was paramount to any work I had done.
I will dig out my spreaders tomorrow and photograph them.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
bobgrice

Grade 8 fasteners are the way to go - in the right application. Kube is correct in his worry here, as the threaded rod will not just be seeing a tensile load, but side loading (bending) as well. The metallurgy of this alloy with the heat treat to attain Grade 8 specification is indeed brittle when subjected to bending loads. I cannot overstress the amount of energy involved in this system when you have spread one of these springs out in order to remove or install. Fasteners are not designed for this application! I have an old "official" spreader that I inherited from my grandfather and, although it does utilize fine threads for the spreading, the threads are formed on very large (I'd guess 1-1/4" diameter without going out to measure) pieces of mild steel with forged ends that are curved to nestle in the back of the eye.

Just as Kube said, just because you haven't had one of these fly apart on you, doesn't mean it's not about to happen. And, remember, "watching for bending" and backing off before things get hairy may not be such a good safety plan, as these failures happen fast and you could end up with a face full of shrapnel before you know what happened. You will NOT be able to get out of the way fast enough. Trust me.

I'm not attempting to come across as any kind of know-it-all here, just spread some industry knowledge I have on machine design, metallurgy and working safely - all of which are required in my business on a daily basis.
bobgrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #27
Cecil/WV

Here's a pic of the one our club owns, although it is a poor pic. Sorry for that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSPX0369.jpg (17.8 KB, 148 views)
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #28
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil/WV View Post
Here's a pic of the one our club owns, although it is a poor pic. Sorry for that.
Now THAT'S a chunk of iron! No worries about flexing with that piece of equipment.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #29
Randall

I know this is not home made but, thought you might want to see an old Snap On spreader
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whitte and mdl t 046 (Small).jpg (60.5 KB, 186 views)
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #30
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Kube has some posts on these homemade spreaders and I agree some are not safe. Maybe Kube will post a picture of his spreader.
John
Okay, here goes...
The yellow one is a SnapOn brand spreader. All steel, you can easily see it is heavy and built well. The threaded portion is a full 1" diameter.
The "skinny" one is KD, another early production tool. It is also all steel. Threaded portion is 7/8" diameter. I like the way the ends are shaped on this one.
Lastly is the one I made. The threaded portion was made from one piece of StressProof® steel. It is 1" diameter. I cut #8 (pitch) threads in it.
The outer sleeve is thick wall steel tube. It is not rolled and welded but rather a formed piece which is much stronger. I have a number of sleeves that can be added to this as needed for various widths of springs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0173.jpg (66.1 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0429.jpg (70.1 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0427.jpg (39.5 KB, 144 views)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #31
blucar

OK, I'll add my comments to this thread..
Attached is a pix of a spring spreader that I made many years ago... I made it from memory of the one we had at a Ford garage I worked at in the early '50's..
I used 3/4" threaded rod and 1" pipe.. The design I used requires only simple shop tools and a welder to weld on the ends.
In reality, the spreader only has to expand a very short distance to relieve the tension on the shackles..
It should be noted that I "concave ground" the ends of my engaging blocks to capture the spring eye, the blocks can not disengage from the spring eye, once pressure is applied to the spreader..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spr.sprdr.4.jpg (62.6 KB, 157 views)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #32
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Okay, here goes...
The yellow one is a SnapOn brand spreader. All steel, you can easily see it is heavy and built well. The threaded portion is a full 1" diameter.
The "skinny" one is KD, another early production tool. It is also all steel. Threaded portion is 7/8" diameter. I like the way the ends are shaped on this one.
Lastly is the one I made. The threaded portion was made from one piece of StressProof® steel. It is 1" diameter. I cut #8 (pitch) threads in it.
The outer sleeve is thick wall steel tube. It is not rolled and welded but rather a formed piece which is much stronger. I have a number of sleeves that can be added to this as needed for various widths of springs.
So that's how it's done? Those things are massive.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #33
oldford2

Yes, I agree, Kube's tools sure look sturdy.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #34
Tinker

Since we are posting spreaders... I picked this one up a while back for a fair price. Does anyone know what make it is or seen one like it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S2.JPG (163.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg S1.JPG (122.6 KB, 51 views)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #35
deuce_roadster

Interesting, you must be one strong dude to work that with the short handle on the wrench! (I know, you probably have a pipe cheater bar to slip over the handle)

I thought for sure Kube would have a KR Wilson spreader.

Another thought on the home made ones, the threaded part should extend as far as possible into the hollow part so when in use it will minimize any tendency to flex/bend.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #36
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
Interesting, you must be one strong dude to work that with the short handle on the wrench! (I know, you probably have a pipe cheater bar to slip over the handle)

I thought for sure Kube would have a KR Wilson spreader.

Another thought on the home made ones, the threaded part should extend as far as possible into the hollow part so when in use it will minimize any tendency to flex/bend.
A cheater bar? In the tool & die profession we call those torque amplifiers. I think knowing the proper terminology for these types of tools earned us better wages than machinists'.

I do own a KRW spreader. I couldn't get to it this morning. The basic difference between the KRW tool and the one I made is the KRW tool has chains integral on each end that were intended to be wrapped around the spring. Kind of a safety thing...

The spreader that I'd made has numerous sleeves that can be added as required. i add them to the smooth end, that is the end that has no threads.
In that way, I need only the minimal amount of threads protruding from the outer sleeve as necessary to spread the spring.
Even utilizing 1" diameter stock, the end with threads will always be inherently weaker than the end that remains smooth.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #37
Tinker

The cast wrench was broke when I got it. Still works well and a pipe / torque amplifier can be used. Or just a bigger wrench...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg W1.jpg (34.1 KB, 86 views)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #38
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
I know this is not home made but, thought you might want to see an old Snap On spreader
I like this one for the 34 rear springs.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #39
deuce_roadster

I think I need to hang a "torque amplifier" up with my tools and label it as such! Thanks!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #40
El Rat

I pretty much copied the one illustrated in the V8 Times. I used 3/4" all-thread and kept goofing with it until I had the maximium amount of all thread captured within the black iron pipe. Worked and worked well, however it still deflected a small amount. 1/2" all thread has no chance...
El Rat is offline   Reply With Quote